Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p67-ud4-b3 + 2500k windows problem

Default p67-ud4-b3 + 2500k windows problem

Hello all

I bought some new computer parts and put it together and everything seems fine. After awhile windows 7 x64 became very slow and I have been getting many errors in MS event viewer. These errors mention a degrade in windows desktop manager and i get this "Diagnostic module {282396b2-6c46-4d66-b413-70b0445df33c} (%SystemRoot%\system32\diagperf.dll) finished troubleshooting scenario" everytime i boot or do something in windows. I tested my hard drives in dos and one had errors, I then took it out and still have the the errors in event viewer. Everything is set auto except memory which is set to gskill specs, just wondering if this is just hardware problems or wrong settings in bios. also I get an error when i reboot/cold boot saying "failed overclock" or something like that, thing is I have not overclocked.

part list :
    cpu : i5-2500k @ stock
    motherboard - p67-ud4-b3
    memory - gskill ripjawsX 2x4GB set - F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    video card - gigabyte 6950 2GB card
    SSD - intel v 40GB drive (game drive)
    HDD - WD black 1TB - boot and storage drive

if you need anymore info let me know. Just trying to get this fixed so I can use my computer. thanks
    processor : i5-2500k (stock)
    motherboard : P67-UD4-B3 rev.1.1 Bios : F4
    Memory : 2x4GB Gskill RipjawsX F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    Graphics card : gigabyte 6950 2GB (stock)
    Power Supply : Corsair 750HX
    Operating System : Windows 7 Pro x64
    HDD : 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD WD1001FALS
    SSD : Intel X25-V 40GB

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: p67-ud4-b3 + 2500k windows problem

Did you set memory frequency and timings manually or used XMP?
    You may need a bit more VTT, try to increase gradually up to 1.2v.
    It would also be a good idea to run a few loops of memtest86+.

kick is offline Senior Member

I see you are running the 2500k at stock,but u probably intend to clock it at some stage,not much point in buying a k otherwise.
    Did you test a small overclock at some point and not reload the bios defaults fully and reboot again?

Aside from what Chilke is mentioning:

Other possibilities:

Load and save optimum defaults,memory too.
    What settings does the optimum defaults give your memory?
    We know they work,otherwise u would never have been able to get into the bios originally :0
    Make sure pc is running in ahci not ide mode.
    Windows 7 was installed in ahci mode yeh?

The ssd ..most people use a small ssd for the operating system then if they have room ,a game or main program they use on top of that.
    Of course you have to leave like 15% of the capacity free for reliabilty/long life since u dont defrag it .
    Say 20G for Win 7,another 4G for a swap file ,leaving you say another 10G max for a game(s). not a lot .
    How much free space is on the ssd now?

The intel rst ,rapid storage technology drivers are installed yes?and working when you boot into windows?
    The ssd will work without rst but not very well.

Do a windows repair/restore see if that helps ,or take out the ssd altogether ,since there is no OS on it atm and see if it changes anything.

Since you are getting some posting/pre windows problems ,it may be due more to the hardware/bios than a "windows" fault.

Id suggest updating/reloading the bios if nothing else works ,but I wouldnt try that right away.
    Last edited by kick; 06-13-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

thanks for the replies.

I set memory manually then tried auto, still same errors in windows and still sluggish. I do not know if I installed the RST drivers, I just used the chipset exe on gigabytes website along with drivers for audio/lan. Will try taking out the SSD and see if that helps, there is 11GB left on it and it was fine before. I am running in ahci mode and not ide, I also tried an overclock but loaded defaults that I had saved when the OC failed prime.
    I will update my post with my bios options later, when I get some free time. thanks

If your dram voltage is 1.5v you can add one more click up on voltage,see if that helps,try with around 1.08-1.10v qpi/vtt voltage,your ssd is plugged into Intel port0? Native SATA 0-3 try with enabled/disabled,are there any firmware updates for your ssd? You might need one on a new mb,download latest Intel storage drivers in tweaktown/gigabyte/latest overclocking tools
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

both WD black and intel ssd is plugged into both white ports, I tried them in the black ports but no go. I tried installing intel rapid storage drivers and it seemed to install correctly, asked me to reboot and I did, then windows just restarts at the logo screen. Not sure what the deal was, but I had to use windows recovery to restore my computer to an earlier time and it booted right up.

I also get this in the event viewer under "kernel-whea"

"WHEA successfully initialized.
    4 error sources are active
    Error record format version is 10."

i uninstalled the catalsyt drivers, shutdown and installed an old geforce 260 gtx and updated the drivers, same errors. Seems it does not matter what I do in the bios, I still get these errors and poor performance in widnows.

Arnt the Intel ports blue? They are on my mb,I think the white ones are gigabyte or marvel,but your boards different,you can look in the BIOS and enable all the ports,make sure your in ahci mode when you boot up,try installing Intel storage drivers again if it restarts at start screen switch to IDE and boot up,you can re enable or check your in ahci mode by googling ahci win7 reg tweak
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kick is offline Senior Member

Let me qualify first by saying I dont run a gigabyte p67 board so take that into consideration.

whea is windows hardware error forget what the a stands for but its like a reporting tool.

The thing is your pc used to run better than it does now,yes?

What could be wrong.
    1. Somehow the bios has become mildly corrupted or is holding an old setting that you changed ,even tho it doesnt show it.
    That used to happen to me sometimes on my 45 gig board.
    Once or twice I had to use the clear cmos jumper to get the bios back to "standard",but usually reloading and saving optimum defaults ,(from the bios not some settings I had saved in a profile) cleared it.
    The one thing you would have to change if you are using an ssd when u initially install win 7 is to set storage to ahci mode and install windows in that mode.You can change later even if you install using ide mode but its more trouble.
    Im assuming loading defaults on a gigabyte p67 puts ide as default as most mbrd manufacturers still do.
    What is your dvd drive and where is it connected?

Still on the bios,my memory is gskill also,1.5v but my mbrd auto reads it as 1.59v even tho timings are what its rated at.
    What does yours do ? ..
    I have put the dram voltage down to 1.5 v but I leave it at 1.54v since I havent clocked it ,well I have but it didnt seem to make a lot of difference so 1.54 is fine for me atm.
    Other voltages ,well there are a few screenshots Ive posted ,they dont do much either till you hit your cpu limit,then again your not going for that atm.

Still working on the idea that your pc performance is worse than it used to be?

2. the ssd,Did you test without it connected at all?
    rst ,if its on your pc ,it should be there under the icons(show hidden icons arrow).
    If its working ok the igon will have a green arrow running thru it,you can clik on the icon to show your storage and storage management options.
    If its not there well something is wrong.
    Its possible your ssd has become corrupted over time ,or due to incorrect installation /using tests on it designed for hdd drives or similar.Taking it out should remove any doubt on the ssd tho for the problem you have.

Ssd's can be "reformatted" or perhaps wiped is a better word,using the ssd manufacturers utility for that,not a windows or dos reformat option.
    I have win7 installed on both my ssd and the hdd and choose which to use as boot drive in the bios ,Im sure you can too,but both have rst enabled and working..
    When you initially install windows you should be prompted to install rst fairly early on,ie it isnt the last driver.

In short id make sure(a) the bios is exactly as you first got it .if you are going to update the bios ,make sure you load and save and boot up with defaults first.

If its not some kind of corruption,perhaps its something like this
    AsRock P67 EXTREME4, EXTREME6, Fatal1ty Pro, maybe others? ISSUE with Win.update - Overclockers Forums
    There was also a nvidia driver update thru windows that sucked badly some months ago and had to be removed .

Perhaps its something very simple,but I and others here are just offering suggestions.

The ultimate fix ,once you are sure the bios is ok would be to low level reformat your 1 tb hdd and reinstall win 7,but Im sure u dont want to go that far yet.

You are probably wondering ,haha bet you arent! why Im using a seagate 500gb in my main pc and a wd 1tb in my older pc.
    1.barracuda is faster,maybe because its newer.
    2. wd one makes sounds like jungle drums in my hec case,perhaps its some resonant frequency thing.I used the wd test program and hdd readings are fine.
    3. I dont need capacity larger than 500 atm.seagate has sata 3 connection,why? I dunno its never gonna reach sata 3 transfer speeds.
    Last edited by kick; 06-14-2011 at 04:41 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

hello kick, will answer your questions as you numbered them.

1 - a corrupt bios file could be the problem, I do not think I had a problem until I updated the backup bios to the beta bios f5b hoping it would help with overclocking. I will try flashing back to f3 and try updating the backup bios to f3 as well. Bios is set to ahci as well as windows install, my dvd drive is a samsung dvd+rw but is currently not connected to any ports. as for the memory, my memory is rated for 1.5v and is set to 1.56v in the bios by me. I have tried defaults for memory and XMP, and also upping vtt to 1.2v and memory to 1.56v, still no go.

2 - i have tried without the ssd connected and with it connected in different ports. also have tried different sata cables and power cables and did not seem to matter much. As for RST drivers, I never could get them to install correctly, even on my p45 mobo. I would install windows in ahci mode, install chipset drivers, then install rst drivers after i reset. When loading the windows logo, it just restarts or bluescreens. Not sure what the bluescreen says as i can not remember.

a few observations that I noticed are as follows. When I took my geforce 260 out of my old computer it was somewhat warm (computer was on for a day) and when I put it on the p67 motherboard and turned on the computer, went to windows installed drivers, etc, I determined I was having the same problems and shutdown the computer. I proceeded to take out the card and noticed the case of the video card was fairly hot, not super hot to the touch but something to think about. is the same way for my current video card, a gigabyte 6950 2GB card, is fairly hot. Maybe it is just a voltage problem from the motherboard or power supply, I will test a new power supply later today.

I also took the cpu heatsink off and took out he cpu to see if there are any bent pins and I did not see any bent pins. So its either bad mobo,cpu,video card, HDD.
    also will try another hard drive and see if it is just a HDD problem.
    thanks for the help everyone

btw does gigabyte do any tech support through emails? or is it strictly just rma when you contact them?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Simple hing to do is run chkdsk and see if it comes with errors.
    Then run "sfc /verifyonly" drom command promt(must be run as administrator) and see if it comes with any errors.

If the filesystem/system files are corrupted you will have to reinstall them, but before using the computer run stability tests to make sure the problem does not reacour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information