Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68x-UD Bios need explanations

Default Z68x-UD Bios need explanations

Hi,

I own a z68x-ud7 board which is running fine after some bios reset problem.
    Since i'm new to this board & absolutely not familiar with his bios, I would like some explanation.
    What are those 10 levels in the Multi-Levels Load Line Calibration ?
    I found out some settings running prime95 stable @ 4.9Ghz (49*100) with a VCore of 1.43v and MLL of 10.
    Now i wanted to reach 5ghz but what i do i can't pass this barrier. What is strange because a few days ago while messing up my system was reporting the CPU running @ 5036Ghz.
    I tried increasing VCore, BCLK & QPI/VTT w/o succes till now.

What i really confused with is actually the Vcore thing.. no matter i set a VCore in the Bios or ET6 (Tuner), ET6 is always reporting a much higher VCore.
    Example : CPU VCore set in Bios on 1.43v with CPU LLL of 10, ET6 is reporting CPU 1.5v idle & on load dropping to 1.488

Can some help me out here to see whats going on...

Default Re: Z68x-UD Bios need explanations

I was wondering if you've manually set the turbo ratios for each core? To my knowledge the turbo setting kicks in when the system thinks you need it (using your overall clock ratio as a base, in this case 49), and that might be what's pushing your system past 5ghz and upping the VCore.

Anyway I'm also interested in hearing the words of the wise in regards to MLL.

Also just a personal preference, but I don't like using ET6 as I suspect it might mess up my stability. It might just be paranoia, but regardless I doubt its usefulness when you've clocked through BIOS anyway.
    Last edited by thorborn; 06-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.

I found out that you have to set the right multiplier on all core even when Turbo Tech is disabled.
    The Vcore inputed in the bios will never match the Vcore reported in Windows (used ET6 & HWiNFO64).

I still do not understand what Multi-Levels Load Calibration are for...

What i really want to achieve first is that the Vcore inputed in the Bios match the Vcore reported in Windows.. (almost).

Here small video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZyF596jlA
    Last edited by w00tie; 06-16-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

I suggest reading up on load line calibration. This is done to fight against Intels rule for cpu vcore. Intel has built in vdop and vdroop. Vdop is what you get from what you set in bios to what you see in windows. vdroop is the voltage you see from idle at desktop to the vcore you see while under load.

Load line calibration (LLC) helps raise the voltage so you dont get such a big vdrop and vdroop. Before there was only on or off. People complained or thought LLC on was not working correctly or was not removing enough vdrop, vdroop for people. So gigabyte gave it like 10 levels for some boards this will give the user the choice on how much he would like to compensate for his vdrop/vdroop. Lower levels of LLC you probably wont see any difference but the upper level as you have notice will OVER Shoot voltage. (USE with EXTREME caution.)

Other forums around the web users have reported that levels 5-7 usally are the best ones to use. I suggest you start overclocking with out LLC to see what voltages you need for a given overclock then slowly raise LLC level and lower vcore.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

thx Acebmxer for the explanations..

now .. case :

I got my system stable at 49*100 Vcore 1.435v MLLC Level 10.
    Idle Vcore go to 1.5v, at load it goes down to 1.452v.

So following your explanation on basis of this i could fine tune this setting and move to a MLLC of 5-7.
    Lets says Vcore of 1.45 MLLC 6 ?

thx

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    This is done to fight against Intels rule for cpu vcore. Intel has built in vdop and vdroop
    I don't think there is such "rule" nt that's Intel resposibility.
    Intel simply allow vdroop, meaning, if voltage drop while it's still in vdroop specification the processor wil still operate as expected.
    To make the loadline being at the same voltage at idle and load will cost too much, probably even more than the MLLC, and it's in Intel's interests to make cheap systems possible.

Thread Information