Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Help with EP45-3LR sleep issues

Default Re: Please Help with EP45-3LR sleep issues

Thanks for the tutorial. One bonus of these problems is that I always end up learning something.

I am sad to report that after almost two days of steady humming, I experienced the boot loop this morning on my computer (2x2g memory). So I have now upped my DRM voltage as you suggested. (I have not yet experienced any boot problems on my husband's computer (1x4g), so I will keep my fingers crossed on that one...)

Do you think it would be a good idea for me to change all my other settings from "Auto" to "Normal" as you do?

Chike is offline Senior Member

It would make no harm to change auto to normal.
    You can change CPU Vcore, CPU Termination, CPU PLL, ICH I/O, and ICH Core, the references must be left auto. and DRAM Voltage auto or manually 1.9-2.0v.
    One thing I forgot to mention is my LLC(Load-Line Calibration) is enabled, this should not effect sleep, but u may never know.

Do you have any add-on cards or external devices connected?

So far I had 3 consecutive wakups, one after 8-9 hours sleep, all were manual sleeps, I will set it to auto sleep tonight.

My computer (2x2): USB printer, Nvidia GeForce 9500GT graphics card, Logitech usb keyboard and mouse with unifying receiver (but I had the same problems before with a different bluetooth keyboard), usb headset (GN 9350).

My husband's computer (4x1): ATI Radeon HD 4300 graphics card, Adesso PCK-308UB USB keyboard/trackpad combination.

In other words, not much connected.

I will try to set my values to normal, as you do, and disable serial and parallel ports. I'm not going to enable load-line calibration, since I don't know what it is, and you say it shouldn't affect sleep.

Meanwhile, I will wait and see if adjusting the DRAM voltage helps with my computer. My husband's computer (fingers crossed) is still behaving well after two days. Multiple wake/sleep cycles both manual and auto.

Unhappy Re: Please Help with EP45-3LR sleep issues

Okay, that last modification didn't work, pretty briskly, I might add. I made the change, went away, came back and couldn't turn my computer on at all-- no lights, no attempt to start up, no boot loop, no nothing. Had to power off by the back switch two times before I could get it to start.

Now, not to be obsessed about this, but it's starting to bug me, so I went into the events viewer, which basically let me know that the last recorded event was at 4:33, when MS Security Auditing finished successfully, and then, according to the error messages on reboot, there was an "unexpected shutdown" around 4:34. I combed the logs, and couldn't find any evidence of what exactly shut the computer down, but it seems like (at least this time) I had trouble waking up because there was a crash during a time the computer was performing background tasks during a sleep cycle.

I'll put the DRAM setting back to "auto". I'm not sure what to try next. I'm willing to take any suggestions you might have, and ready to throw in the towel whenever have had enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images Please Help with EP45-3LR sleep issues-error-jpg 

Default Argh. More Bad News...

So my husband's computer just did its own weird behavior again. In his case, I have identified his usb keyboard as the culprit-- during the days we were troubleshooting, I used a different, plain vanilla keyboard. Satisfied that things were working, I put the old keyboard back, and we had the same trouble. I guess I could just buy him a new keyboard, but gosh, shouldn't this be easier?

I think any wakeup failure would be "unexpected shutdown". The computer doesn't perform any tasks during sleep.
    The problem with sleep is that we have no clue what cause them to fail.

Which changes caused the boot failure? DRAM Voltage or setting other to bormal too?

DRAM voltage. I hadn't yet set the others to normal. So, after this failure, I used "failsafe defaults" and then set all the values to "normal" except references, as you suggested, but left MCH at 1.6 volts.

Since my last post, I did an internet search, and see that the problem with my husband's computer is completely attributable to the Adesso keyboard, which is known to fail on resume from standby with windows 7 64 bit. Which removes some of the confusion: his system, with different ram configuration (and graphics card) is proven stable, with incompatible hardware. I will let mine run for a few more days with this new bios setup, and see how it goes. If I can't get it to work, I will assume there's something up with my memory (or my graphics card) and stop trying to put it to sleep. But I will update here either way.

Thanks for sticking with this. (And for the clarification about the error reporting...) :)

Usually recommended to begin with optimized defaults, but whatever works, if this fail try optimized.
    Do you have any IDE devices connected? If not you can disable IDE as well.
    When I did have IDE burner I used to set all other devices to None for a bit faster boot.

Boy oh boy, did THAT one not work. This time my computer was dead asleep, and I mean dead, dead, dead. One tiny blip of a startup light, and then nothing. I ended up having to pull the battery, to reset the CMOS.

I have reset the bios with optimized defaults, turned off the Parallel and Serial ports, and didn't tweak anything else. No other adjustments. I'm going to leave this for a few days, and if it gives me the boot loop again, I will go back to my old ways, leaving my computer always on, but understanding (THANK you) a lot more about the board than I did when I started, and much less afraid to tinker with it.

In case the PC is stuck in boot loop or doesn't boot, try first to turn off the PSU(or pull out the power cable) then discharge the capacitors by pressing the power oncem wait a few seconds, turn power back on and try booting again.

Normally (at least for me so far) shorting the CLR_CMOS pins with a screwdriver or some other metal object is enough to clear CMOS, someyimes there is a need for a longer period and taking the battery out.

Currently 5 aleep/wake without a poblem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information