Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help with EP45-3LR sleep issues

Question Please Help with EP45-3LR sleep issues

Hello to all,

Found this forum because I did a google search on my problem, which has been occurring since I built two computers using EP45-3LR boards two years ago. Both towers configured almost identically, with 4g of ram (2 sticks x 2g of OCZ memory) and Intel Q8200 processors, Windows 7 Home Premum 64bit. These are my first builds from scratch, and I am not interested in overclocking-- just wanted stable, quiet machines that I could upgrade over time. They both work beautifully, with the one exception that they have troubles resuming from sleep. I have done enough searching to see that a core group of people with Gigabyte motherboards have the exact same issue that I have:

Computer sleeps and resumes from sleep beautifully, both automatic sleep and manual sleep, as long as I wake it up within an hour. After an hour or two, the behavior is unpredictable. Many times it resumes fine. About every other day, it will go into an endless boot loop, where the computer begins to wake up, and then restarts, and then restarts. The only way to stop this boot loop is to kill the power from the switch on the back, wait a few seconds, repower, and then start the computer.

I have lived with this problem for a while because one of my computers is a media server that needs to be on all the time anyway, and the other was running XP and didn't have the same issue. I recently upgraded the second computer to Windows 7, and now the same problem occurs. ACK.

I flashed both bioses to the latest (F11) using @Bios, because I couldn't get the USB stick to boot. (I gather I should not, in the future, use @Bios, and I'm lucky that my boards survived the process.)

I would be so grateful if anybody would be willing to provide me some guidance about tweaking the bios, and/or point me to a beta bios, that might fix my problem. Based on threads I have read, timing seems like it might be an issue, I will begin by sharing the information I could dig up about my RAM:

SHELLEY-DESKTOP (Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-UD3LR)
    Memory Summary
    Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
    Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
    Memory Slots 4
    Error Correction None
    DRAM Frequency 399.9 MHz
    Memory Timings 5-6-6-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    Device Locator Slot 1
    Manufacturer OCZ
    Part Number OCZ2G10662G
    Capacity 2048 MBytes
    Memory Type DDR2 (PC2-6400)
    Speed 400 MHz (DDR2 800)
    Supported Frequencies 266.7 MHz, 333.3 MHz, 400.0 MHz
    Memory Timings 3-4-4-12-16 at 266.7 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
    Memory Timings 4-5-5-15-20 at 333.3 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
    Memory Timings 5-6-6-18-24 at 400.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
    Data Width 64 bits
    EPP SPD Support No
    XMP SPD Support No
    Device Locator Slot 2
    Manufacturer OCZ
    Part Number OCZ2G10662G
    Capacity 2048 MBytes
    Memory Type DDR2 (PC2-6400)
    Speed 400 MHz (DDR2 800)
    Supported Frequencies 266.7 MHz, 333.3 MHz, 400.0 MHz
    Memory Timings 3-4-4-12-16 at 266.7 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
    Memory Timings 4-5-5-15-20 at 333.3 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
    Memory Timings 5-6-6-18-24 at 400.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
    Data Width 64 bits
    EPP SPD Support No
    XMP SPD Support No

Thanks in advance.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Please Help with EP45-3LR sleep issues

Do you have EasyTune installed? If so please post a screen capture of Tuner -> Advanced -> Voltage tab, and also HWMonitor tab.
    With windows XP the computer woke up after any period of time without issues?

Hi,

Thanks so much for replying. As I recall, you were the person who replied to at least one of the related thread I have read on this issue. Interesting development: I tried to installed EasyTune 6, so I could get you a screen capture, but for some reason it just doesn't want to run. Installs fine, shows up as installed, and I click "run" and (after the little blue circle comes and goes) nothing happens.

With my husband's computer, XP ran fine with no sleep issues whatsoever. And, as I just observed more closely, his problem is slightly different than mine-- he has a usb keyboard/trackpad combo that behaves erratically when resuming from sleep, and can only be fixed by rebooting the computer. But the shutdown and reboot buttons on the tower work fine, and can be used to reboot the computer, at which point the usb keyboard works fine.

Any other way I can get you the information you asked for? (I'm going to try installing EasyTune on his computer to see if it works there...)

:)

EasyTune may be hiding in the system-tray in the little tiangle.

Assuming there's no RAID configuration, try to load optimized defaults first, then set MCH Core to 1.16v.
    If this does not help solving the problem try DRAM Voltage 2.0v (the ram as reported is actually 2.1v DDR-1066, with EVP 2.15v)

Attachment 3634
    Please Help with EP45-3LR sleep issues-tuner-png

Okay, I feel silly-- my true level of overclocking incompetence completely exposed...

I will wait to adjust my voltages until you reply. :)

Default More Data...

Well, actually, here's a little more info. It turns out that my husband's 4g of memory were scavenged from retiring systems, and there are 4 sticks, two different brands of memory properly installed as 2 and 2. That would explain why the sleep problems are slightly different. I have made the adjustments that you suggested on my computer to see if they help, and wonder what you would suggest for my husband's configuration:

DANNY (Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-UD3LR)
    Memory Summary
    Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
    Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
    Memory Slots 4
    Error Correction None
    DRAM Frequency 267.0 MHz
    Memory Timings 5-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    Device Locator Slot 1
    Manufacturer Melco
    Capacity 1024 MBytes
    Memory Type DDR2 (PC2-5300)
    Speed 333 MHz (DDR2 667)
    Supported Frequencies 200.0 MHz, 266.7 MHz, 333.3 MHz
    Memory Timings 3-3-3-9-12 at 200.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
    Memory Timings 4-4-4-12-16 at 266.7 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
    Memory Timings 5-5-5-15-20 at 333.3 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)
    Data Width 64 bits
    EPP SPD Support No
    XMP SPD Support No
    Device Locator Slot 2
    Manufacturer Kingston
    Serial Number 7610FA25
    Capacity 1024 MBytes
    Speed 333 MHz (DDR2 667)
    Data Width 64 bits
    Manufacturing Date 2009, Week 2
    EPP SPD Support No
    XMP SPD Support No
    Device Locator Slot 3
    Manufacturer Melco
    Capacity 1024 MBytes
    Speed 333 MHz (DDR2 667)
    Supported Frequencies 266.7 MHz, 333.3 MHz
    Data Width 64 bits
    EPP SPD Support No
    XMP SPD Support No
    Device Locator Slot 4
    Manufacturer Kingston
    Serial Number 67104A6E
    Capacity 1024 MBytes
    Speed 333 MHz (DDR2 667)
    Data Width 64 bits
    Manufacturing Date 2009, Week 2
    EPP SPD Support No
    XMP SPD Support No

Thanks again. Hope this begins to unravel my two year old mystery. :)

Actually, I have recently found out that having different memories are better installed each in it's own channel, one pair in slots 1 & 2 andthe other in slots 3 & 4.
    OK just wanted to make sure MCH Core was not changed by BIOS. Try 1.16v for the 2x2GB system and up to 1.2 for the 4x1GB system. then 2.0v for the ram.
    Honestly I have never tried sleep with this board (did with EP43-UD3L), I will try it tonight (OS Win 7 64-bit).

I put the PC to sleep with default FSB and it woke right up after 3 hours.
    I will try with 333MHz FSB for a longer period of time.

Thanks so much for checking it out, and tracking the issue with me. In truth, it's VERY hard to track, because although it's reproducible, it's erratic. I can make a bunch of changes, get it "working", and then three days later, it hangs up. In many of the threads I found via Google, people report the same experience-- three (or thirteen) times you wake up fine, then, bam. What I know: it never hangs if you wake up under an hour. It doesn't seem to matter whether you let it goes to sleep automatically or by command. It's related to the motherboard.

Your voltage discussions make the most sense to me-- I gather you are suggesting these incremental increases in voltage because there is almost but not quite enough power to jump start the ram on resume from sleep....? This would explain why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

In any case, I have both computers running now with the increased MCH voltage (What is MCH by the way?) I'll probably have to do it for a day or two to see how it goes. If I keep getting problems, I'll do the DRAM adjustment. I'll report back either way.

I only tried twice so far, onw with default FSB(266MHz) and the other with 333MHz FSB x 10 (3.33GHz).
    Even though my settings are almost all defaults, aside MCH Core 1.16v, they are not auto, voltages are set to normal (to keep them at stock value even though I am overclocking), and I disable some things I do not use, like IDE, serial & parallel ports.
    It could be that it will fail later after a few consecutive sleeps, I'll keep using sleep for the next couple of days(or untill it will fail).

MCH is Memory Contriler Hub, this is the NorthBridge, P45 chipset, which connects the CPU to the memory, PCI-E slots, and I/O contriller (ICH10R).
    During sleep (S3) all data remain in memory, so the memory is still being refreshed, so first thing comes in mind is memory related settings like MCH Core and DRAM Voltage, but the problem is not nesessarraly memory related.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information