Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Slower than expected raid performance :(

Question Slower than expected raid performance :(

hey there guys, i recently got myself a pair of ocz 3 ssd's to build a sata 6 raid with and go nutty fast however i'm having a few problems with speed, namely that the raid is running slower than the hard-drives are rated singularly

now, i wasn't expecting miracles but less than the speed of 1 drive is obviously wrong

My exact setup is:
    GA-P55A-UD4P ( the one with the in-the-way-heatsink )
    2 sata 6gb/s cables ( i ordered them specifically )
    2x ocz Agility 3 60gb ssd's
    they are rated at 525mb/s read and 475mb/s write each
    raid 0 setup, in 64 kb stripe

the problem is i'm capping at 180 mb/s read speed and about 100 write on my raid 0
    which is.. a backstep of majour proportions in terms of speed so i'm wondering if there is some unexpected bottleneck someone knows of or if the controller on the ud4 is not capable of these speeds?
    any input would be appreciated, thanks!

####EDIT####

i have solved this myself after carefully reading the manual, my sli configuration was stopping the controller reaching maximum transfer rate

i do still have a question, for anyone that knows which motherboards do not have that problem.. as i would rather like to use my fast raid with sli enabled
    Last edited by Lug; 07-07-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: fixed, different question

Default Re: Slower than expected raid performance :(

You need an x58 mb,it doesn't limit speed if using sli/xfire,for better reliable sata3 speeds you need sandybridge mb as they have better Intel sata3 controllers,I'm not sure if speeds are limited with sli/xfire on p67 or x68 thoughAs for sata3 cables there's no difference in performance from a sata2 cable,just a marketing trick,what read/write figures are you getting now on the Marvell controllers?You could add in a pci or pci-e raid card? Maybe then it wouldn't rob bandwidth?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

He's ideally want a new X58 like G1 or OC, so he has the new Marvell 9182 controller as the old 9128 one can't handle 6Gb/s RAID

Or P67 for Intel 6Gb/s RAID

i'll upgrade the motherboard then, i don't think an add in card would work allot better because of the lane change when using 2 gpu's anyway
    or am i misunderstanding the issue? it's just controller lane bandwidth right?
    i don't suppose there's a simple trick to tell if that will work?
    i'd prefer this system to last until ivy bridge drops and then just upgrade the whole thing if possible

the sata 2/3 cable thing is odd because i've seen on alot of sites people claim with older sata cables or cases with built in sata connectors cant use sata 3 to it's fullest, i was just being thorough :)

thanks for the reply, always appreciated :)

'edit'

yep, lsd the drives do feel very capped they vary from 170-180 depending on config, and i can get them to 280 if i remove the sli but that still seems a tad slow considering thier rated speeds, although i believe the rated speeds are on compressed data so.. who knows what i should get, lol.
    Last edited by Lug; 07-07-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: extra infos!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, it's just controller bandwidth lanes, so a card wouldn't help and would actually cause more issues.

Maybe wait until 2011 socket then, it's coming out towards the end of the year I believe. There is no SATA 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s cable, that is just a marketing scheme (Unless you have a really cheap/poor SATA 1.5Gb/s or 3Gb/s cable)

The cables are the same for 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s, some 6Gb/s may be shielded better but that is mainly needed in laptops.

9: Does SATA 6Gb/s require different connectors and cables to support the higher transfer speed?

A9: The same cables and connectors used for current SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0 Gb/s implementations can be used to connect SATA 6Gb/s devices, although SATA-IO recommends quality components be selected to ensure data integrity and robust operation at the faster SATA 6Gb/s transfer rate. Keeping the existing SATA connector form factor enables SATA 6Gb/s to be designed into the same cost-conscious hardware architectures while minimizing infrastructure changes.
    http://www.sata-io.org/documents/SAT...-FAQ-FINAL.pdf

Would a Z68X-UD5 have an appropriate raid controller and enough lanes to pack sli on top of it ?
    i could grab one of those and a cpu for it for about 350 and that wouldn't kill my bank account too much

or what would you recommend?

Thread Information