Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Turning on computer from Power (mains)

genegold is offline Member

Default Turning on computer from Power (mains)

GA-MA790X-UD4P (rev. 1.0). I'm getting a new CPU and decided to update my BIOS from F4 to F9 with @BIOS (before I saw the Sticky here). It was successful in spite of Gigabyte's poor instruction page, but the process changed a few settings, such as HDD boot order(!). Another one was that I had the computer set to start on power (mains) from a console, but it doesn't now. I must have set that when I first got the board a couple of years ago, but can't find it now in the manual. Anyone point me to that setting? Thanks,

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Turning on computer from Power (mains)

You mean power up by keyboard? It's in Power Options(of course).

No, I meant power up by mains, turning on the console's computer/master button. That's what my computer has been doing since I got this board in May 2009, up until after the BIOS update last night. I'm forgetting how I set that up - or if I had to do anything (wouldn't there be something that lets the computer know to turn on?). Here's what I'm seeing: I push the computer/master and the keyboard lights come on but nothing else, then the keyboard lights die. Happens quickly. No turnover of anything in the computer case or lighting up of the mouse. Starting the computer from its own switch then works fine.

I don't understand what is the "console's computer/master button"? Power suply button?
    In BIOS Power Management Setup there is also ACBack Funtion you can set to Full-On and the PC will be turned on every time it is reconnected to power.

agree chike I don't understand what he means by (mains). If I shut down my puter then yes I use the case power button. Other wise I do not know how to start it from an off position.

"Mains" is the British (or European) term for what Americans call the power switch. I used it to broaden the understanding, but didn't count on American parochialism. ;) Yes, it's possible to start a computer directly from the power switch (tho obviously not a good idea for shutting down). And that's what I've been doing for the past two years from one of those surge protected master consoles. Since the BIOS update, it hasn't worked, as described.

Biven that the keyboard, an old (wonderful) IBM PS/2, does illuminate briefly, I'm wondering if the explanation here is that BIOS version F9 is not compatible with it, and I'll have to go back to F4 (or try F5).

It is the AC Back Function, set it to Full-On.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    It is the AC Back Function, set it to Full-On.
    Yep, that did it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lucyjoin652 View Post
    I do not know how to start it from an off position.
    To set up what we've been discussing: When the computer starts and you see the Gigabyte screen, press Delete. At the next screen, cursor down to Power Management and Enter. Then cursor down the list to AC Back Function (or whatever the Power Loss item is named) and choose Full On. F10, Y and it should be set for next time.

To me, it saves a step in starting up and, as far as I know, there's no harm in it.

Thread Information