Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem with GA-Z68-UD7 and Corsair GT 60GB

Default Problem with GA-Z68-UD7 and Corsair GT 60GB

Hello and thanks in advance for reading and posting any relevant help, much appreciated. Here is my issue:

I bought a Corsair GT 60gb back in late June/ early July. Installed to system on port 0 of the intel dhipset and wasnt getting very good performance. The IRST 10.5/10.6 software would report that whenever the drive was accessed, it would drop from 6gb to 3gb. I could visually see in the IRST software that it was happening. Secondly and more importantly the ATTO numbers would be about 200-250 max or so. I tried several clean installs, secure erases, so many cables I lost count. I was finally able to send it in, get it RMA'ed and about a month later I did get a replacement. To my surprise it was a brand new drive, in the box, unopened. Kudos to Corsair, that was pretty cool of them to do.

I put the new one in, after an issue or two with cables, finally got it initialized in Disk management when booting from another drive. I ran ATTO and the very same thing happend! GRRR, right? I tried a bunch of different things and here is what I came up with:

I ran the new firmware update tool for the drive, getting it to 1.3 from 1.2.
    Booted with a USB stick ran a secure erase with HDD erase
    Did a disk init with the drive as a GPT and all other things at default.
    I re-ran ATTO and I actually got about 400WRITE and 500READS.

Then I tried to install Win7 64 home prem. and when I booted it, ran the ATTO, it reverted back to 3GB/sec . I am not sure where to go from here. has anyone else had a similar issue.
    Has anyone had issues with drives dropping out of 6gb to 3gb?
    any help would be great.
    thanks,
    m

I have the following system:
    Intel 2600K (no OC'ed so far)
    GA-z68-UD7-B3
    16GB Corsair Dominator RAM r
    (2) MSI 6950 2GB video cards in X-fire-X

Storage:
    On Marvel:
    (2) WD Caviar Black 1TB drives in RAID 0

On Intel:
    (1) Crucial M4 SSD 64GB (currently booting)
    (1) Corsiar GT 60GB (Drive I have issue with.

Default Re: Problem with GA-Z68-UD7 and Corsair GT 60GB

Are you using latest mb BIOS? Tried with native sata port 0-3 disabled?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kick is offline Senior Member

Did you try using it as the only drive?
    How much "unused" space is on it .
    Was it the only drive connected when u installed windows ?
    After win 7 install:
    what does right click on computer icon,left click on management, click on storage disk management, say?
    Is the rst working ok after installation?
    Might be some answers/tips in
    Solid State Drives (SSD) - The Corsair Support Forums

also this looks kinda similar
    ga-p67a-ud7-b3,slow write speed corsair force 3 with overclock
    Last edited by kick; 08-21-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thumbs up Re: Problem with GA-Z68-UD7 and Corsair GT 60GB

Thanks again for the replies, I hope I can answer your questions.

Did you try using it as the only drive?

I have tried it as the only drive on the system, save my dvd drive. Once the OS is installed I have taken even the CD drive. Since this system doesnt like to run or just acts a little strange when there is a disk in the drive that is not being used; I have always made sure that there isnt a disk in the drive or just unplugged it all together.

How much "unused" space is on it .

With the 60gb drive, it actually comes out to about 55-56gb when formatted. Both drives I have had were the same that way. Then once the OS installed and a few drivers and updates are slapped in I get about 75% free space or so. Although I dont remeber if that is with or without the swap file in default (I usually change it to stay at about 2gb) and the system restore.

Was it the only drive connected when u installed windows ?

If I try to install windows on any drive, if there is any others on even the Marvel controller ports, I get a message saying that it cant be installed on that drive. So I just unplug all drives except the one that is being installed on; as a rule. It also makes sure that I dont make a mistake and format or delete my games/storage drive. I have a little more than a TB of games, plus various other files that I dont want to lose and at best have to download over again.

After win 7 install:
    what does right click on
    computer
    icon,left click on management, click on storage disk management, say?

Once I was able to do a secure erase, boot with my crucial drive and init. the Corsair GT with a GPT and default allocation
    When I did that, I got the drive to give me over 500mb/sec read and more than 450 write.
    I then tried to install the OS over that and when I did, it reverted back to SATA 2 speeds.
    Disk Management looks fine, it says the same thing that the other SSD I have when I boot from that.

I have two SATA III SSD's one is a Crucial that doesn't seem to have this issue.
    On the Crucial SSD in ATTO I get: a max of about 425read and 100write.
    On the Corsair SSD in ATTO I get: a max of about 250read and 250write.

Is the rst working ok after installation?

IRST seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. I set it to start w/ windows and when I click on the tray icon, it does come up.
    If I open IRST 10.5/10.6, then open and run ATTO, it starts doing the benchmark and while it is doing that you can actually see the IRST advanced information update and show 3gb as the speed from 6gb.
    The numbers it shows in IRST arent really any bother, it is the fact that the speeds arent what they should be and that is what is getting on my nerves.

Might be some answers/tips in
    Solid State Drives (SSD) - The Corsair Support Forums

I have gone through the Corsair forums to exhaustion.
    There are a couple guys there that are really good, but I think I have just about tested the limits of their patience.
    I have RMA'ed the drive, received a brand new one in the mail and I have the same issue.
    That is why I am trying to see if I can get some help from a mainboard perspective.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Seemslike a BIOS issue or sdd firmware issue to me? Seeing that the crucial drive works fine

Did u try very latest beta BIOS on tweaktown/gigabyte/latest BIOS page?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I am using the F8 BIOS for the Mainboard and the SSD has been updated from the 1.2 to the 1.3 firmware using the Corsair utility. IDK, I just think that this motherboard has trouble with the Sandforce chipset. Like I said I was able one time to get it to run correctly, but that was only one time. So I know it is capable. I just have to find the thing I am missing :). Thanks very much for the help. Mike

Hi, I have very similar problem. Same Z68-UD7 mobo and Corsair Force 3 60GB. I connected SSD to SATA3_0 port and during install after first restart i got the message: "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart". When I connected SSD to SATA3_1 port windows could boot but I notice same problem with speed connection. After windows boot it is 6GB/sec but just for few minutes... then speed is dropping to 3GB/sec. I was checking speed connection on IRST 10.5 and I could notice the speed problem on HD Tune benchmark as well. Sometimes I got some blue screens during play games with many different BSOD codes. It looks like mobo was loosing connection with SSD. As I have some IT experience I was trying solve the problem by: re-seating all components, trying use one stick of RAM in different ports, swapping graphic cards and trying with just one graphic card on every single possible slot, clearing the BIOS, diagnosing CPU (Intel Burn Test - max stress level passed), diagnosing RAM (memtest passed) and still the same scenario - SATA3_0 doesn't want boot, SATA3_1 speed connection problem. Also I have updated BIOS F8, new AHCI driversand new SSD firmware 1.3 and did not help.

Before I bought SSD I had a problem with new Barracuda HDD SATA III as well... I think it was able to boot on both SATA ports but after couple of weeks when actually windows wasn't so stable I found about 2000 reallocated sectors on that new HDD and that amount was constantly growing... and also speed was dropping to 3GB/sec as well. After that I bought SSD.

Now my SSD is a system drive on SATA3_1 port and HDD is a storage drive on SATA3_0 port... There is still problem with system stability and speed connection on system SSD but this HDD now is fine - no more reallocating sectors and speed connection 6GB/sec. Whats wrong? I'm trying to solve a problem from long time... Is it faulty mobo? RMA? or maybe not compatible RAM... please help!!!

My system:
    Intel 2500K
    GA-z68-UD7-B3
    8GB Corsair Vengeance (CML8GX3M2A1600)
    2 x XFX Radeon HD 5870 (X-fire)
    Corsair AX1200 Power supply

Storage on Marvel: disable
    Storage on Intel:
    - Corsiar Force 3 60GB (SATA III)
    - Seagate Barracuda 1TB (SATA III)

to ebrain... It looks like we have very similar systems. Which is great because I haven't seen many system specs that are much like the ones we have.

ebrain: mpetroul:
    Intel 2500K Intel 2600K
    GA-z68-UD7-B3 GA-Z68-UD7-B3
    8GB Corsair Vengeance (CML8GX3M2A1600) 16GB Corsair Dominator (CMP8GX3M2B1333C9)
    2 x XFX Radeon HD 5870 (X-fire) (2) MSI Radeon HD 6950's (X-Fire'ed)
    Corsair AX1200 Power supply Corsair 850 Watt Power Supply

Storage on Marvel: disable Storage on Marvel: (2) WD Cav. Blk (RAID 0)
    Storage on Intel: Storage on Intel:
    - Corsiar Force 3 60GB (SATA III) - Corsair Force GT 60 GB (SATA III)
    - Seagate Barracuda 1TB (SATA III) - Crucial M4 64GB (SATA III)

I have not tried a couple things that maybe you have and I was just wondering if you had tried taking one of your VGA cards out and seeing if freeing up some IRQ's/PCI lanes make any difference? IDK if that even matters, but that is something I am going to try next. The fact that my Crucial drive works and that I have seen my Corsair drive work one time is really frustrating. I am tearing my hair out trying to get this figured out. So if you have anything that you find that helps, let me know. I will do the same. I have worked with Corsair on this and they dont really want to help that much, because they dont have the parts to recreate the error or think it is a board issue, IDK that is just what I surmise from how things have gone for me since buying this drive. Thanks. Mike

kick is offline Senior Member

em breaks wind in kulo2's general direction

Did u guys check out the p67 thread I linked above, that wazza and a couple of others responded to.
    I know z68 isnt exactly the same as p67 , but it could be similar enough for ssd speed problems

Me personally , since I dont have a sata 3 ssd..and my sata 2 is working fine, i dont have the motivation to go searching around..heh but
    One of the posters in the thread linked this
    Vertex 3 fw2.11 - AS-SSD , ATTO benchies know its a different brand ssd also but there may be some insights.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thread Information