Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Marvell 9128 Sata 3 (6Gbps) chipset - EX58A-UD5: Should I just give up on trying?

Default Marvell 9128 Sata 3 (6Gbps) chipset - EX58A-UD5: Should I just give up on trying?

I'm at my wit's end. After spending nearly all day trying to get a Crucial M4 to work consistently on the Marvell 9128 Sata 3 (6Gbps) header, I'm about ready to call it a total fail. I cannot seem to get the AHCI bios to load or work on the chipset so that it will recognize the drives.

Here's what I've done:

-Flashed firmware with lastest chipset firmware from station-drivers.com

- Set bios to AHCI for the Marvell headers and all 6 Intel ICH10

- Clean install of Windows 7 64 bit pro via Marvell headers. On partition screen of install, I installed the latest Marvel "Sata 6" drivers. The install seemed to go fine. After final installation and doing all the Windows updates, the system recognized the drives fine.

- Installed another Crucial M4 on the second Marvell header. Worked fine.

- Left machine. It went into sleep mode while I was gone. When I returned, I could not get it to wake up, so I hard booted.

- On reboot, it Marvell headers would not recognize drives.

- Reloaded Optimized Defaults. Did not help recognizing drives.

- Placed OS disk on Intel headers. Booted fine. Placed second SSD on Intel headers, recognized fine.

- Now I cannot get the Marvell headers to recognize the SSDs AT ALL! However, if I boot to the SSD on the Intel headers, the Marvell headers will see and run a standard HDD (Caviar Black) just fine.

- I have researched and worked on this for almost a full day, and done everything I can think to do.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to get the Marvell to actually perform, or should I just forget it? I would like to get the SSD's working to their potential, but I'm at a block in the road.
    Last edited by Vic Trola; 08-30-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: Marvell 9128 Sata 3 (6Gbps) chipset - EX58A-UD5: Should I just give up on trying?

Make sure you are using the latest bios for your board. Also have you forced update firmware for the marvell controller from the bios to make sure its fully updated? Have you updated the firmware on the ssd's to the latest version?

Also you will get better performance using the intel sataII ports.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Default Re: Marvell 9128 Sata 3 (6Gbps) chipset - EX58A-UD5: Should I just give up on trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Acebmxer View Post
    Make sure you are using the latest bios for your board. Also have you forced update firmware for the marvell controller from the bios to make sure its fully updated? Have you updated the firmware on the ssd's to the latest version?

Also you will get better performance using the intel sataII ports.
    I am using the latest full bios, which is the F7k. Not sure what you mean by "forced update firmware... from the bios". I have installed the newest firmware via a bootable CD from a download from station-driver.com, and it says that it succeeded. Yes, I have updated the firmware on the drives to the latest version.

I was hoping that the Gigabyte board would live up to it's claim that it can deliver Sata3 speeds. I'm a bit disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Trola View Post
    I am using the latest full bios, which is the F7k. Not sure what you mean by "forced update firmware... from the bios". I have installed the newest firmware via a bootable CD from a download from station-driver.com, and it says that it succeeded. Yes, I have updated the firmware on the drives to the latest version.

I was hoping that the Gigabyte board would live up to it's claim that it can deliver Sata3 speeds. I'm a bit disappointed.
    In the bios where you enabled sataIII there is a option or there should be a option to "Force update firmware" or "auto". The firmware for the marvel sata controller is contained with in the bios. By default it should be set to auto which should update the firmware if the motherboards bios contains a newer version but that might not happen all the time. So you can force the update.

As for your performance concerns read this post from Lsdmeasap http://forums.tweaktown.com/storage-...40-review.html

If you want "True" sataIII power you need the P67 or z68 chip set which includes intel's version of the sataIII controller.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Yep, I had it set to auto.

I think I'm going to bail on this configuration. I'm using this for an digital audio workstation, so I really wanted to have some good speeds without setting up an expensive SSD raid.

I want to keep the SSDs for my OS and audio samples/virtual instruments. They are perfect for this. I want to set up a raid 0 for my recording drive. I now know I need to use the Intel controller to get good AHCI for my SSDs, but I'm not sure if I can also use them to set up a RAID 0 at the same time.

So, here would be my new setup...

Move DVD drives to the Marvell Sata ports 6/7

Set up a RAID 0 on the GSATA ports 8/9 OR.... Can I set up a RAID 0 AND have two single SSDs on the ICH10 ports, or do they have to be one or the other?

I'm thinking the Intel ports would be best all around, but I'm not sure if a RAID can be done with the AHCI settings for the SSDs. There is not "RAID/AHCI" setting in the bios for the Intel SATA ports as far as I know.

Any opinions on using the GSATA ports for a RAID 0??

I beleive you wont be able to use both Gsata raid and intel raid or it may only involve marvel raid and intel raid. The problem is there is not enough "Reserved system memory" to load both raid roms. You will get a error while booting.

With the intel ports if you have enough ports you can connect all the drives to there enabled raid. Raid also uses AHCI so you can do both :).

If you want put your dvd drives on the Gsata ports and set them up to IDE and everything else on intel controller.

If you need 2 controllers in raid. I would recommend using the marvell as I dont know if its possible with the gsata ports. Set the marvell controller to AHCI and the Intel Controller to Raid. Set your Raid array in the intel controller. Boot into windows and load marvell utility. Do not install the drivers, let windows use the windows drivers for the marvel controller. Just install the utility and you can creat the raid array for the controller in windows with its utility. Now you should have raid on bother controllers. I think this is how Lsd said to do the work around.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Man, I really appreciate your help. I really don't need two RAID arrays, so ideally I would like to put the two SSD's (single mode) plus a RAID 0 setup, all on the Intel controller. Your saying since the RAID setup in the ICH10 controller is also AHCI, it will work, and the SSDs will get the TRIM control they need, and I can set up the RAID in the same controller?

I think I'll just use the GSATA or the Marvell controllers for backup drives and opticals in IDE. I'm fine with that if I can get a RAID on the Intel controller along with 2 single SSD's.

Sorry for so many questions, but some of this stuff is new to me.

Thanks Ace!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Trola View Post
    Man, I really appreciate your help. I really don't need two RAID arrays, so ideally I would like to put the two SSD's (single mode) plus a RAID 0 setup, all on the Intel controller. Your saying since the RAID setup in the ICH10 controller is also AHCI, it will work, and the SSDs will get the TRIM control they need, and I can set up the RAID in the same controller?

I think I'll just use the GSATA or the Marvell controllers for backup drives and opticals in IDE. I'm fine with that if I can get a RAID on the Intel controller along with 2 single SSD's.

Sorry for so many questions, but some of this stuff is new to me.

Thanks Ace!
    Yes but no. For standard hdd's yes with raid you also get AHCI as in you get the nqr or what ever its called and also hotswap. With SSD's you do not get TRIM in raid. Now I do not know if you get TRIM in raid mode with the ssd not in a array. You can try and see but I do not know for sure.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

I just left the ICH10 headers in AHCI for my SSD's and did a RAID0 on the GSATA headers. It seems to be working fine and if running faster than my SSD's on the Intel headers.

Yes, you are correct that there is no TRIM for SSDs in a RAID config, but the latest Intel drivers allow single SSDs (that are on a controller configured for RAID) to be TRIM supported.
    Last edited by Vic Trola; 08-31-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Thread Information