Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help with how to install ACHI driver

genegold is offline Member

Default Help with how to install ACHI driver

I've got a GA-MA790X-UD4P (rev. 1.0) and just installed a Corsair Series 3 60gb SSD and Win 7 (another HDD still is bootable to XP). Corsair's SSD's has had some problems with Win 7 and sleep mode, mine included, so I tried to update the firmware that fixes it, but while the update shows as successful, the firmware number never changes (yes, have "run as admin"). So I've been working through some steps to fix it, so far unsuccessful, and am now at the point of making sure I have the latest ACHI driver, 1.2.0.125, which really isn't all that new (BIOS = F9). The problem is I'm confused about the instructions for installing it. What I don't get is when the notes say, "Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy." I assumed that meant downloading and extracting the files and setting up a boot disk (USB for me) with them on it. But then I'm thinking, what does "press F6 during Windows setup" refer to; doesn't everything happen before Windows loads? So, would someone please clarify it for me? Thanks,

Default Re: Help with how to install ACHI driver

Here's what worked for me. During install of Win 7, there's a window that comes up during install that let's you pick the drive to install the OS. In the lower left corner of the window there's an check box that lets you install a driver. Follow procedure to point to the location on the USB drive where you put the drivers. Select the driver and proceed.

Which SATA headers are you using?

I've already installed Win 7 and spent five days setting everything up, so I'm trying to avoid having to start over. Plus, is it really necessary to reinstall the operating system to update the ACHI driver?

Good question about the headers, which I assume means the SATA plugs on the board. For the SSD, I've tried SATA2_2 and SATA2_0 (or _3 &/or _1) because they were the most immediately accessible. Would it matter to the firmware update, which requires ACHI, if I used one of the GSATA2_#? Just thinking now that in the BIOS it is the GSATA2 setting that gets switched to ACHI, but I wasn't sure if that required choosing specific headers.

Update: Turns out Vic's header question was the key to solving the firmware update problem. For the SSD, I was using the wrong one. It needed to go to a GSATA2 header and, as I discovered, apparently not just any one. On GSATA_0, startup hung, with the keyboard going dead when it got to DMI pool data. But when I switched the SSD to GSATA2_1, everything worked just fine. Firmware updated quickly and on restarting the tool, there was the new version, 1.3. Now, I'll have to see about sleep mode.

Thanks for your help (though I don't understand about that ACHI driver update).
    Last edited by genegold; 09-01-2011 at 01:52 PM.

NoJuan999 is offline Member

Read this for Using AHCI After Win 7 is installed:
    AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Forums

It worked for me.
    I am in NO way affiliated with Gigabyte.
    If you use a BIOS I Modified, you do so at your own Risk and Assume Full Responsibilty !

Thanks for the references to bookmark (and for others that find this thread). One can't solve the problem I did without having seen that.

Thread Information