Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-Z68XP-UD3P Setup: Turns On then Turns Off (after about 2 sec)

Default GA-Z68XP-UD3P Setup: Turns On then Turns Off (after about 2 sec)

You'll all hate me as I am an ASUS/AMD Junky and tend to stay away from Gigabyte boards and anything Intel as I always run into the same problems, I know, I know it's discrimination based on a few encounters heh. But my pal's new rig is not powering up properly, I can not vouch as to how he initially hooked the system up... but it is in my hands now, and I am trying my best:

MB: GA-Z68XP-UD3P
    CPU: Intel LGA1155 ?
    RAM: G.Skill RipJaw DDR3 4gbx2gb
    PSU: Corsair GS700
    Heatsink: Stock Intel
    VidCard: Radeon 5870

Scenario: Everything connected as should be, when I hit the PC's Power Button, the board lights up as does the PSU and RAM, but after about a second of lights, fans getting a revolution or two in the system clicks off... but not off.. it repeats the step above without any interference from myself. So it is in the loop. I come to the same problem as my friend had as he said this was what happened his primary bootup attempt, so here we are! I tried moving the RAM, I even took out the video card (as it is a monster), yet the bootup loop remains the same.

I am clearly not an Intel/Gigabyte guy so please don't hate me, I am just trying to help a fellow friend out as he senses I am more tech savvy than he. My only assumption is something shorted on the board? I thought perhaps maybe the PSU went bad, but taking out the video card kind of makes me feel otherwise now, as I would also mention I use a 550w in my AMD Quad-Core Phenom 2.51Ghz setup w/ 4GB of similar RAM and a smaller video card being a 8800 GTS 512mb.

Anyone with any advice I would greatly appreciate, as would my friend even more. I have tried all my simple little tricks, I am trying to round up another PSU, may even just test mine in his rig to see what happens.... thanks guys and may we all get along :)

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3P Setup: Turns On then Turns Off (after about 2 sec)

The ATX_12V_2x4 is connected?
    If shorts are suspected it is best to take the board out the case for a bench test, on a cardboard or any isolating material (but not anti static bag).
    Try it without the video card and one stick of memory only (test both) in different slots).
    If this not help check the CPU socket for bent pins.

Yes it is connected, I know what you mean as if it were not, in this video you can see the heatsink begins to fire up.. then nothing, and repeat. I tried with 1 stick of ram as well as without the video card. My friend told me the first time he booted up he had all his fans connected, 1 in the back, 1 on the side of the case, and he said he thought he saw a spark or smoke, possibly smelt something. Not being there I do not know, that is why I suggest a shortage on the board possibly?

Could try removing mb battery,leave out for 30mins or overnight then try,common mistake is to connect the firewire to the Usb hub on the mb which would cause a spark? Can't think of what else other than mb shorting on the case
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately no luck with taking the battery out for 24+ hrs. I am going to try and check the pins on the CPU, I just always seem to have difficulty taking off the Intel Stock CPU heatsink, not so much the taking off, but the re-placingof it because to me they seem to be built for a 1 time only install, as the clips/4 pins that go through the board to lock/secure the hs on the board are plastic and aren't very sturdy.

Did you test with another psu first? Before disturbing the heatsink,if no luck then by all means carefully inspect the CPU socket
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just recently had the same exact problem with my ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard. Wasted tons of time trying to figure out what the problem was and first suspected it might be my SSD drive, then my GPU, then my PSU, and also my RAM. In the end it was the motherboard and I ended up RMA'ing it and getting a new one. The new one works perfectly.

I would suggest you RMA it and ask for a replacement. That constant boot and shutdown loop with the fans not spinning was driving me crazy!

If shorts are suspected it is best to take the board out the case for a bench test

did you ever resolve this issue? because I have the same problem. I think it is a RAM issue. I initially had installed 4x 4Gb DDR3 1600 ram and got the start stop without post. I then removed all but 1 stick of RAM and it posted ok. not got any further in my build yet, but was curious to know if you replaced your mobo

MB: GA-Z68XP-UD3P
    CPU: Intel i7 2600
    RAM: G.Skill RipJaw DDR3 4gb x 4

Thread Information