Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't start to Windows 7 SSD (alone)

genegold is offline Member

Default Can't start to Windows 7 SSD (alone)

GA-MA790X-UD4P (rev. 1.0), BIOS version F9. I've been running XP on the partition of an HDD. Recently, I installed an SSD and put Win 7 on it, in effect creating a dual boot. This set up works as long as I have the XP hard drive plugged into GSATA2_0 and the SSD in GSATA2_1 (switch those and it doesn't see the SSD). Onboard GSATA-II Control Mode is ACHI and boot order works either way between the two drives.

The problem is if I disconnect the XP hard drive, start up hangs at checking DMI Pool Data. In addition, if I switch the XP/HDD plug over to one of the regular SATA2 headers, the same or other problems ensue, depending on which one I've plugged it into. I'd like to get rid of the XP/HDD boot partition or move it to another HDD eventually, but obviously that won't work if Win 7 can't be reached. Any ideas for what's causing this and how to work it out?

Also, in the board's manual it says, "Please the L-shaped end of SATA 3gb/s cable to your SATA hard drive." Why? I've tried it the other way without obvious problems, but I'm wondering why that instruction. Thanks,

Default Re: Can't start to Windows 7 SSD (alone)

Tried disconnecting xp drive,setting ssd/win7 as first boot device,then using qflash and Usb stick,reflash BIOS but untick "keep dmi pool data" then flash BIOS,load optimized defaults and re enter BIOS settings above
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chike is offline Senior Member

If you want the windows 7 to work independantly of the XP, by changing boot order, and without the boot menu, you need to install it while the SSD is the 1st boot drive.
    With your current configuration make sure the XP drive is always the 1st boot drive.
    Why do you use the GSATA ports? those, at least on most intel boards, are not as good as the onboard (chipset) ports.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the XP is currently on C:\ drive and Win 7 on I:\. Does that change anything in your suggestions? I'd like to change that set up and stick XP on another HDD's partition (currently cloned a copy to such). My understanding is that I'd have to reinstall XP and then copy the cone over it. I may also have to do that with the SSD and Win 7.

Wazza, tell me if I've got your instructions correct:
    - disconnect XP drive and set SSD/Win 7 as first boot device
    - use qflash on USB stick and reflash the BIOS, unticking "keep dmi pool data" (where?)
    - flash BIOS (again?)
    - load optimized defaults, reboot
    - reset BIOS settings as desired

Chike, I don't quite understand your suggestions, but see my clarification above. The GA-MA790X-UD4P is an AMD board. Along the way, to get the Corsair SSD working properly (it needed a firmware update), I had to plug it into the GSATA2 header so ACHI would be on. Plugged into a regular SATA header, the firmware update wouldn't take, even with ACHI set in the BIOS and in Win 7's registry.

Thanks,

My suggestion was to install each system independant of the other, symply install windows 7 whe the XP drive is not connected.
    The system(boot) drive will always be C:.

Ok, that's what I thought you were getting at. I was thinking of cloning the Win 7 SSD (including apps) to another HDD, wiping the SSD clean, reinstalling Win 7 on it and then bringing the clone back on top. Does that sound workable? I read somewhere doing it that way works and is the only way to get the activation and the previous set up. I really want to avoid having to install all the apps again, since last time that took a week.

The only question is, will doing this make the SSD C: drive?

If currently windows 7 boots with drive letter I being it's system disk I don't think it will work.
    Why not just leve it as it is? It's not like you move the disk cables every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    If currently windows 7 boots with drive letter I being it's system disk I don't think it will work.
    Why not just leve it as it is? It's not like you move the disk cables every day.
    If I can't boot without the XP drive hooked up, it's not a very good long-term situation.

I guess you will have to install all the programs again then, but you can try to do what you said before and see if it works or not.

All of a sudden, the HDD boot order choice in BIOS has an entry "Bootable Add-in Cards" and in first slot. When I moved it down one and the SSD first, startup didn't get past DMI pool data. Strange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information