Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ED45-UD3p with 8400 Dual Core overclock help! :)

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ED45-UD3p with 8400 Dual Core overclock help! :)

Do not run IBT/LynX then, the produce much more heat.

Sounds good - Small FFT finished with the max temps still as previously reported (74C and 73C). Starting Large FFT now.

So I'm thinking I should skip increasing the FSB then, and move on to the Prime95 8+ hour stability testing as advised, after the large FFT?

Yes, temps a bit high but not dengareous. Try 378MHz for 3.4GHz, if not stable try 372 or lower.
    Did you set tRD(Static tRead Vale) 8 or 9?

I had set tRD to 8 for both channels.

Second test finished with 76C and 75C for the two cores.

I bought this system over 2 years ago and hadn't applied new thermal paste since the original assembly - so I just went out and bought some arctic silver 5. Just finished cleaning up the heatsink and CPU cover and reapplying as per their directions online.

Now re-running the first test and seeing 71 and 69 Max. Should get slightly better as the new grease "breaks in" (according to Arctic Silver).

Seeing as the temps are somewhat marginal, but lower, should I now run the IBT/LynX test when these two finish?

I am quite skeptic about the break-in, I cannot say I have seen any improvement over time using AS5.
    So are you at 3.4GHz with 378x9?
    If that goes well, try 400x8.5, same CPU frequency, but higher memory clock and performance.

I ran the short FFT for 45 minutes and it hit 72C and 70C max, but it settled in to around 68 to 69 through most of the test.

So, I have now set to 378 / 3.4Ghz, per your recommendation. I'm running another short FFT and it hit a max of 72 and 70, after 6 minutes, and has since settled in at 71 and 69 for awhile. I'll continue to run this for another 40 minutes, and then try 400x8.5 and check the difference in temps, before running the long FFT.

Thanks again for your guidance, it's been an interesting learning experience so far.

It shouldn't make difference in temps but memory performance will get better.
    Run MaxxMEM - PreView with both settings to see the difference.

Quick update - I'm 40 minutes in and it's still 72/70 max, and staying around 70/68

I'll run MaxxMem before I switch over to 400/8.5 which will be in a few minutes. Should I jack up the CPU frequency at all, or am I pretty much at my limit now with my temps? I think tomorrow I'll order new cooling - this is getting fun.

I have no idea about the limit. Mine won't go over 3.33GHz at stock vcore.
    The E8400 E0 is a bit better, and we can try few clicks higher voltage, which will surely result in higher temps.
    After 3.4GHz try 3.45GHz, 3.5GHz untill the tests fail.
    This CPU can do 4GHz+ but for that you need a good aftermarker cooler.
    I don't know which system you plan to build, but maybe you can pospond it till Ivy Bridge is out.
    See what temps you get with software you normaly use, like games etc.

Yes, I was originally planning to get an i7 2600K in the next couple months, but if I can optimize this well enough I can hold out for Ivy Bridge. It shouldn't be too much longer until it's out. It'll either be that or grab a 2600K if there's a significant enough drop in price. Battlefield 3 is coming out next month, and BFBC2 was a bit of a CPU hog, so I'm wondering how my system will perform with the sequel - the engine has been drastically improved. Also looking forward to Star Wars TOR, this holiday season.

My next step either way is upgrading my NVidia GTX 260 to a GTX 560Ti or 570. I'm just waiting for a good deal right now - have been checking prices every day.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information