Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ED45-UD3p with 8400 Dual Core overclock help! :)

Default Re: ED45-UD3p with 8400 Dual Core overclock help! :)

Here is the IBT test results. I seem to be right on the edge of what my current cooling will allow, so tomorrow I will do some research into aftermarket air cooling and place an order (I get overnight shipping on Amazon for $3.99, so should have it on Tuesday). If you have any personal recommendations as to which one, then I'm all ears (preferably one that is compatible with my current platform as well as Sandy/Ivy Bridge - I've heard that Ivy Bridge will be the same socket).

On pay day (this Thursday), I'm going to order this case. It'll allow for water cooling if I eventually go that route. My current case doesn't have the room.

I'll run some games and see how the computer does the rest of the evening, then overnight I'll run the 8+ hours of Prime95 as per your earlier suggestion and check the results in the morning.

EDIT: Forgot to link the IBT screnshot:
    Last edited by jake8078; 09-19-2011 at 09:34 AM.

After letting the system idle a bit, I ran another memory test, per your earlier comment:

Chike is offline Senior Member

Don't rush to buy a cooler, find one that's good and compatible with 1155 and 775 sockets.
    Newegg has deals on coolers from time to time, e.g. Zalman CNPS10X Performa is now 40.25USD with 10USD in mail rebate untill the end of the month.
    Good cooler, very high price/performance ratio especialy with this price, but noisy with the standard fan.

Yes Ivy Bridge CPUs(or at least part of them)is still the same socket but with PCIe 3.0, something not all 1155 boards support.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Don't rush to buy a cooler, find one that's good and compatible with 1155 and 775 sockets.
    Newegg has deals on coolers from time to time, e.g. Zalman CNPS10X Performa is now 40.25USD with 10USD in mail rebate untill the end of the month.
    Good cooler, very high price/performance ratio especialy with this price, but noisy with the standard fan.

Yes Ivy Bridge CPUs(or at least part of them)is still the same socket but with PCIe 3.0, something not all 1155 boards support.
    Ordered

No problems with Battlefield Bad Company 2 tonight for an hour or so. Will run the prime95 test overnight as previously mentioned.

About 30 minutes in, and temps of the cores are 71C and 69C. Will continue to run the rest of the night. Can't wait for my cooler to arrive - the reviews suggest very positive results.

My case is only 190mm(7.5") width and it fits in with a few mm space from the side panel, of course I had to take off the air sleeve.
    I also installed a front fan, and side fan on the openning below the air sleeve which help cooling the northbridge and the graphics card. I also sealed a few holes in the front (inside the case) to make sure the air flow from front to back and does not circulate around the front.
    Well cooled case can help lower few degrees.

Sorry I have missed the IBT test before.
    GFlops looks about right (based on my CPU +3% for the extra cache). GFlops are good indication if there is enough vcore, meaning the CPU has enough power to do the work it supposed to at given frequency.
    Lets hope the new cooler let you OC 4GHz or more, it depends on the chip too.

EDIT: BTW save a BIOS profile (F11) which you can restore later if somehow settings are lost.

Sounds like a plan, the new cooler should arrive either tomorrow or Wednesday. It looks massive, but will fit in my case according to specs. I was running late this morning and didn't get much time to look at the blend test, but it was still running and the cores had hit max of 72 C and 70C.

It is actualy one of the smaller air coolers, it won't block the RAM slots on the 775 board, and on a 1155 board the cooler itself shouldn't block the memory slots though the fan will.
    This is how it looks in my case, near the Mugen 2 I had before, The board is "L" board and a little narrow than the UD3P.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post386551

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information