Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel & Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execute

Question GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel & Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execute

I have just installed my brand new GA-Z68XP-UD3, I have updated the firmware to F7 (the latest on the Gigabyte website for my MB) and all the latest drivers are installed

I have 2 x Hitachi 500GB drives I am attempting to RAID via the Marvell controller

I have a RUNCORE 60GB SSD in the mSATA slot on the MB and I currently have the Intel RAID configured so the SSD is caching a Samsung 1GB non RAIDed drive however; this requires me to have the Intel RAID configured to be in RAID mode (I intend to RAID all the drives although I am part way through at the moment)

When I have the Marvell controller in AHCI mode all is well however; the moment I follow the instruction in the manual to enable RAID on the Marvell controller I get the following boot up warning and am unable to access Ctl-I menu to configure the Marvell RAID controller

I believe this is a fundemental error in the BIOS set up partly because there is nothing in the manual stating I cannot enable RAID on both and also because in my research I have noticed similar problem with other Gigabyte MB's that provide both Intel & Marvell RAID controllers. It appears BIOS version F9 on some boards resolves this problem

When is the BIOS update that resolves this problem being made available for the GA-Z68XP-UD3 MB?

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel & Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execu

F9b is the latest bios for your motherboard. I would suggest tring that bios. If you still have no luck here is the work around.

You were on the correct path. Leave the intel controller to raid for your ssd caching.

Set the marvell controller to ahci. In windows install the Marvell Storage Utility. In there you can create your raid array for your other drives.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Default Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3 boot problem Intel & Marvell Raid both enabled - Too many ROMs execu

Many thanks for the fast response, do you have a link for F9B please as I cannot find one on the website

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

look at the stickies on the top of this forum.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Good news is I have moved past the problem with BIOS but I am not sure how

This is what I did after many vain attempts to either enter BIOS mode <Del> or Qflash <End>:

1) Took a deep breath and changed by trousers
    2) Powered off the PC, waited 2 minutes for any static to drain away
    3) Removed the Runcore card in preparation for using the CLR_CMOS jumpers
    4) Restored power to the PC
    5) Wrote the previous post
    6) For some reason thought I'd give it one more try to reboot whilst waiting for response to the post
    7) Well what do you know I managed to get into the BIOS configuration - Pheeeeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!
    8) Have checked the BIOS version and it is F9B

Not so good news is, I still seem to have the problem when I attempt to BIOS configure RAID on Intel AND on Marvell

The only thing I change in the BIOS configuration is GSATA3 Ctrl Mode from AHCI to RAID and I get the following:

Warning ...
    To many option ROMs execute during
    POST may cause certain option ROM
    not working properly.
    SAVE to CMOS and EXIT (Y/N)? N

I answer y and during the reboot I receive a couple of messages that do not allow me to <pause> them but they seem to relate to option ROM
    Last edited by DerekGCWhite; 10-24-2011 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Did not intend for the words to be crossed through

Please ignore the lines through the text, not sure how they go there

For completeness I need to mention I have reinstalled the Runcore 60GB mSATA-600 drive and I do have the same problem still on F9B

I have now started the Marvell Storage Utility and I see the 2 drives and can configure them as either RAID0/RAID1

Yeah!!!! It appears that F9B does the job functionally even if it does not implement the full procedure as yet (i.e. <Ctl-M> configuration during boot)

I have chosen to configure them as RAID0, for performance (I have an automatic overnight backup scheduled), and I am currently testing the performance whilst I write this

I get a Passmark composite average of 1255.1 for the RAID0 disks compared to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 (non RAID) that is cached by the Runcore mSATA-600 drive 982.7 (seems at the moment 1 up for the RAID) however; the Randown Seek + RW performance was 6 for RAID0 but 26.5 for the Samsung with Runcore cache

The jury is out on this one yet

An update on progress

My configuration is now (having raided, excuse the pun, a couple of PC's for matching drives):
    Marvell SATA-600 in RAID0 - 2 x Hitachi 500GB (semi permanent, non critical, files with daily backup schedule)
    Intel SATA-600 in RAID0 - 2 x Samsung F3 spinpoint 1TB with 60GB Runcore mSATA SSD as cache (Windows & highspeed semi permanent, non critical data) (GPT Format)
    Intel SATA-300 in RAID5 - 3 x Seagate 500GB 7200 rpm (GPT format)

In this configuration there is no space for a CD/DVD, whoops how does one get Windows loaded - so I used the SiI3114 SATALink Controller. This works well during Windows execution however; the CD/DVD does no appear to be accessible through Boot path Menu, more testing to be done on this later. I finally hooked up an old laptop CD/DVD in a £10 case as a USB DVDRW

I have now successfully loaded BIOS F9b

I still have the warning message whenever I update BIOS and the messages during boot "Warning: Option ROMs can not invoke...", I am still unable to use <Ctl-I> to access the Marvell configuration

After Window loads I am able to use the Marvell Utility to configure the RAID discs, I have only used RAID0, for speed, however; the utility seems to be very comprehensive

A note of caution, initializing the RAID5 configuration I have is a VERY long process (2 hours and we are 6.84% through - so next week I'll let you know the outcome)

Having found no way to reliably clone my MBR discs to GPT discs I chose to use Windows Storage Manager to initialize/convert the volumes from MBR to GPT however; this has required me to re-install Windows

BEWARE - EFI auto mode does not work if using 1TB discs the EFI flag has to be set in BIOS manually otherwise Windows complains you have the incorrect system to use GPT

I initially booted Windows 7 x64 Home to the RAID0 when the DVD was attached to the Intel SATA-300 port 4 but when I tried to reinstall Windows using the configuration above Windows install did not see any of the RAID0 drives however; I did not attempt to install with acceleration turned off (there may still be a few quirks to sort out here with mSATA SSD)

I'll update this with further information as I get there and I hope this is of interest to someone out there thinking about building a quick but robust workstation

Wow this has been a scary process

The Initialize process took almost exactly 24 hours, to be fair I did reboot a number of times so the actual time would be around 23 hours 20 minutes - still quite a long time

Because I now have no SATA ports available for a DVD/CD reader booting from DVD is a challenge. I have a PCI - SATA card from Silicon Image (Si3114) that I used very successfully in my previous EP43-UD3L MB however; when I have the same setup on this board I am not provided with the DVD as a bootable option. Strangely though when Windows executes there is no problem and the drive works extremely well (another Boot problem - I have raised a trouble report with Gigabyte)

I am still having the Warning message regarding Too many Option ROMs executing even though I am now on F9b BIOS firmware

I am still unable to access the Marvell controller function during boot using the documented <Ctl-M>

Yesterday, well actually early this morning, I was attempting to reboot to repair a problem I had with DCIMAN32.dll, when the POST beeped and hung and kept on hanging and nothing I could do could get me past POST, it was anotherbrown trousers moment

Over many years with PC's I have learnt that if all else fails, have a good nights sleep whilst leaving the PC powered off seems to do the trick and Hey Presto, this morning started up with no problem, well I say no problem I do still have a minor niggle:
    When the system has been uncleanly restarted and the RAID0 CACHE has been rebuilt the boot procedure hangs after the COnfigure Intel controller using <Ctl-I> message. At this point I have to restart the PC using the Reset button and then the reboot completes fully
    Last edited by DerekGCWhite; 10-28-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Next stage in process

This is the reply I received from Technical support
    The rapid message in POST could be “Can not configure Raid Rom”.

When both of controllers being enabled as Raid mode, there will be the message appeared.

It is because there is no enough shadow memory for too many raid mode configuration.

Please choose either Intel SATA or GSATA controller to set as RAID mode.

The reason I bought the board was so I could have a SSD caching my RAID0 (only available on Intel RAID controller) and RAID1/5 for everything else. The marketing for this board, if this restriction stays the same, is highly misleading and potentially even questionable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information