Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WTF?! Energy Saver utility...

Default WTF?! Energy Saver utility...

I had "fun" the other day.

I'm running 4xHDDs (RAID5) and 1xSSD as a cache using RST.

I made the "mistake" of running the Dynamic Energy Saver 2 utility. It started ok, but when I tried to exit it, my machine hung. It really hung. Wouldn't even respond to the reset button!

So I held the power button down for 5 secs, that turned it off. However, when I pressed it again, the fans started, and 5 seconds later they (and the entire PC) turned off. This happened several times, so I pulled the power cable for 30 seconds, plugged it back in and tried again.

This time the BIOS came up, but the Intel RST screen showed NO RAID, and no SSD accelerator. I then got errors about the SSD cache being broken, and un-recoverable.

Three reboots later, it did (magically) actually recover the SSD cache, and rebuilt itself, but Windows wouldn't start (declaring no OS). So after some fun to pull the F6/Intel drivers off the GB website on my other PC, I got Windows recovery up and it could see the drives ok - but for some reason the C: drive was no longer the boot drive, and the 100MB System Partition was no longer active.

Any clues as just HOW the Energy Saver utility could cause that? It hung my PC before (prior to my installing SSD caching) but that was seriously bad!

Default Re: WTF?! Energy Saver utility...

it depends on how badly it crashed your pc,your better off sticking with the built in cpu power saving ect,any os based software can be unreliable,you could try the win7 dvd disc and do a start up repair?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fixed the PC (Windows 7 boot CD/USB stick and diskpart) - just wondering HOW it could do/trigger what it did.
    I wasn't actively trying to save power, just to see what the program did - which I'll be avoiding from now on (deinstalled).

it will improve with newer versions,as with any new board it will take a while for software to mature,it was the same with my mb regarding des and easytune and bios's,those kind of programs are always a bit flakey,easytune has improved though and should be stable
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PTruman

I have a Z68XP-UD3 and whenever I use the Power button to "Close" the system I have some very strange recovery processes similar to yours so I have a suggestion that the recovery was more to do with BIOS than the software and would still happen if you attempted to "Close" the system the same way again

Every time I Power off the system to close it on recovery it has always disengaged the RAID drives and all sorts of crazy stuff however I always remember the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy front cover "DON'T PANIC" and simply reset the system and everytime, so far, on recovery all is well, cache rebuilds, RAID0 is restored and RAID5/RAID1 is rebuilt

Thread Information