Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R: Orginal chipset drivers required for new Win7 SP1 install?

Default Gigabyte EP45-UD3R: Orginal chipset drivers required for new Win7 SP1 install?

Hello,

I have a tried and true Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (REV 1.1) board that I am using in my studio as my main DAW. I intend to use the very latest Windows 7 SP1 (x64) Professional OS on this build - and was wondering if it's even necessary to bother with chipset drivers at all (original Gigabyte ones or even the latest Intel ones). Is there any reason one should consider installing these drivers?

Reason I ask is I am experiencing an oddball "sleep" issue with two PCI-e cards that seem to vanish from the system whenever this machine is put into sleep mode and then is woken up. The only way to get these cards to "show" again is to hard reboot the system.

So - I am racking my brain here trying to figure out why these two cards suddenly got flaky. The only thing I can think of that I didn't do is chipset drivers.

Thoughts?

VP

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R: Orginal chipset drivers required for new Win7 SP1 install?

Sleep issue may be related to BIOS are you using latest version?

For the chipset you probably don't need anything, and if the GSATA run in IDE mode probably nothing for it either.

Default Re: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R: Orginal chipset drivers required for new Win7 SP1 install?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Sleep issue may be related to BIOS are you using latest version?
    Well - F12 was the last one published for this board way back in Spring 2010 - and it's the one I am running now. Unless there is a release I do not know about?

For the chipset you probably don't need anything, and if the GSATA run in IDE mode probably nothing for it either.
    That's what I thought. Looks to me (after more testing) that this board simply does not work properly after resuming from sleep mode. I changed to earlier software for these cards and it still does the same thing when brought out of sleep mode.

I am now reverting back to a new image and will reinstall everything again. What a PITA :)

VP

There is a beta F13e from august 2010 if you wish to try it.

Could be a combination of board and other hardware

There is a beta F13e from august 2010 if you wish to try it.
    Where would I get this beta from?

EDIT: Found it!

VP

The beta BIOS sticky in the forum, EP45-UD bioses are at the bottom of 1st post.

The beta BIOS sticky in the forum, EP45-UD bioses are at the bottom of 1st post.
    Found it...but is this b13 one good for my board REV (1.1)? I am having enough problems here now - so I really don't want a baked board on my hands?

And can I update via Q-Flash with this one?

Finally - do we have any idea at all what this bios fixes or changes?

VP

Useualy minor version updates(< 0.5) share the same BIOS. If it's not for the board it will refuse to flash(bad checksum or some error)
    Always use Q-Flash to flash BIOS, and clear "Keep DMI Data" before you do.
    Load optimized defaults after flashing, and make any changes you made in BIOS before.
    If you have a RAID you must configure it again before you attempt to load windows.
    Do not try to use saved BIOS profiles across BIOS versions, re-enter al changes manually.

Useualy minor version updates(< 0.5) share the same BIOS. If it's not for the board it will refuse to flash(bad checksum or some error)
    Always use Q-Flash to flash BIOS, and clear "Keep DMI Data" before you do.
    Load optimized defaults after flashing, and make any changes you made in BIOS before.
    If you have a RAID you must configure it again before you attempt to load windows.
    Do not try to use saved BIOS profiles across BIOS versions, re-enter al changes manually.
    Have an update for you. Seems that Windows 7 SP1 is definitely the culprit here - this board has now become old enough that certain SP1 functions do not work properly on it.

Since it's clear that Gigabyte won;t do anything about this now - probably time to retire this road warrior and look at something a little more recent.

Cheers!

VP
    Last edited by Vocalpoint; 11-08-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Thread Information