Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclocking Bulldozer on GA-990FXA-UD5

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Overclocking Bulldozer on GA-990FXA-UD5

I saw a review on X-BIT labs they could not OC the UD7 for some reason could be some BIOS updates will fix all that.
    How high CPU NB VID Control have you tried?

Yes, I'm on BIOS F6. First thing I did once it was installed.

I've pushed the CPU VID to 1.53, which ends up as 1.55 or so after boot. This is about the point where it pushes 70-degrees Celsius and I decide to back it off.

CPU NB Voltage I've put at 1.35, but not for too long. Just long enough to know it wasn't stable at ~stock~ NB frequency (so clearly not a NB issue).

Mobo NB voltage has seen 1.15 (up from 1.1) for 266MHz, but still unstable.

Seriously, though, this board has been out for months. AM3+FX hasn't been out that long, but they should have had a ton of time to fix problems with this board. There is NO WAY that I should be seeing memory speed problems unless the RAM itself is bad.

It's possible that you have a faulty module and running MemTest should show if this is the case.

I also agree that you shouldn't really be having issues but until user's actually get their hands on the new chips and start using them, everything the motherboard manufacturer's are doing is based on the information they get from AMD. It is only when people start running these processors do the problems start showing up. When I first got hold of the GA-990FXA-UD5 I discovered several problems with BIOS such as not being able to access it when I had four HDD's attached and that is one of the reasons I haven't rushed to get a Bulldozer FX processor.

I do have a beta F7a BIOS for this board that I can forward to you if you wish to try it. I haven't tested it myself yet, but it may address this issue.
    Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: GA-Z97X-UD5H - PSU: Gigabyte Odin 800 Watt Modular
    CPU: Intel 4770k - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black LP CML16GX3M4A1600C9 4x4GB Modules (16GB Total) running at 1600MHz
    GPU: Asus NVidia 650 - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM
    SSD's: Plextor M.2 PCIe SSD 256Gb, Corsair Force 3 GS 250Gb SSD,
    ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB - Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro - OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

I'd be happy to Beta test the BIOS if I can't determine anything else from memtest. Do you have any info about it other than the binary itself?

Sadly I don't have any info about it. It was sent to me as I am a moderator on the Gigabyte UK website and I have been testing various BIOS releases for them.

I will send it to your e-mail address, please check the junk and spam boxes if it doesn't appear as sometimes the e-mail can be deleted due to the RAR attachment. I would recommend using QFlash to actually update the BIOS and also that you disable the "Keep DMI Data" option on the QFlash homescreen before running the update.
    Last edited by absic; 11-09-2011 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks. If it's not a memory problem, I will be giving you BIOS feedback from BD platform. :)

I have sent F7a BIOS to you and any feedback will be much appreciated. If it doesn't solve the problem and your RAM passes MemTest then contact Gigabyte Tech Support and let them know what's going on as this could be just another BIOS issue.
    Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: GA-Z97X-UD5H - PSU: Gigabyte Odin 800 Watt Modular
    CPU: Intel 4770k - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black LP CML16GX3M4A1600C9 4x4GB Modules (16GB Total) running at 1600MHz
    GPU: Asus NVidia 650 - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM
    SSD's: Plextor M.2 PCIe SSD 256Gb, Corsair Force 3 GS 250Gb SSD,
    ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB - Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro - OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by absic View Post
    I have sent F7a BIOS to you and any feedback will be much appreciated. If it doesn't solve the problem and your RAM passes MemTest then contact Gigabyte Tech Support and let them know what's going on as this could be just another BIOS issue.
    Thanks. The BIOS didn't really help much, although I really only noticed a couple minor changes. Slowing my RAM down to 1833MHz seems to have stabilized that, but 2133MHz behaves erratically with four modules. Hopefully this will be corrected in a future BIOS.

I'm still tweaking for optimal voltages (and without LLC adjustment, this is less than fun). Everything but the AMD OverDrive stability test pass. The program crashes at some point, usually sooner than later. I think I just need to finish tweaking the voltages. FSB is up a little, and it might need some extra juice. :)

Current settings: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2089085
    Last edited by agenthex; 11-09-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information