Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CPU problem, p-31-ds3l

Default Re: CPU problem, p-31-ds3l

I posted above that PSU is corsair 550vx, you missed it I guess ;). they come with a 5 year warranty.

Also, I think if you missed my post after the one with pictures (i posted twice), the one right above yours, because your reply seems to be refering to the post with pictures only.

As soon as i load optimized defaults, everything improves as describe in the post above yours. However, If i disable C1E and TM2 and set 9x266, which is default 2.4 ghz spec for this CPU, the performance goes back down. So to summarize, load optimized defaults seems to fix it, but as soon as i disable core thorttling in bios, and manually set CPU to 2.4ghz without changing anything else, performance is down again.

Background task are not a problem I think. There are no 3rd party apps running in the background.32 proceses on startup, all native windows ones.

Anyways don't know what else to say since I am confused if you have read my post about optimized defaults. I don't understand why just disabling C1E and TM2 would result in a performance drop at stock clocks, and at 1.6ghz with core throttling, bench scores are better then at 3.0ghz.
    Last edited by GanjaStar; 11-22-2011 at 01:44 PM.

pictures might help

After setting optimized defaults:

CPU problem, p-31-ds3l-ao3pj-jpg

3.0ghz :

1.6ghz beats 3.0ghz?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Yep, I missed some of your posted information. CPU problem, p-31-ds3l-icon_spank-gif
    With your improved "1.6GHz" settings, watch the CPUZ Cpu screen while your benchmark is running. You should see the displayed cpu information increase and then drop shortly after the text completes.

TM should always be enabled. It's recommended that C1E and EIST be disabled when testing overclocked settings. I think that you're currently running with the F8 bios. Try using the latest bios and be sure to reload Optimized bios defaults before you retest after the bios flash.

I can't explain the severe performance drop when you use the 3GHz settings. It looks like your motherboard is having problems. My best guess is that there might be a problem with the motherboard's voltage regulation. It's possible that the current bios is partially corrupted.
    Corsair power supplies are some of the better ones available, but even the best units can have problems.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Another update. The issue is getting stranger and stranger. I manged to get better performance at 3.0ghz. scored 6200 at nuclearus. The way i did it was load optimized default, reboot and reenter bios. then i would change the cpu multiplier from 6to 9 and fsb from 266 to 333, pci-e frequency to 100 and disable c1e and eist. Then when i restart the cpu stays at 3.0ghz all the time and scores 6200. WEI score for the CPU went from 4.5 to 5.1.

However, as soon as I turn off the PC or reboot again, the multiplier drops to 6 again automatically and the cpu is booted at 6x333. Is this supposed to happen with c1e and eist disabled? from the description it seems that TM 2 is only suposed to prevent overheating, but for this mobo, it resets clock multiplier to 6 on every reboot.

Another oddity is that leaving everything at optimized defaults, but disabling TM 2, performance goes down again. This strange, because TM 2 is disabled in my main rig for the q9550 cpu, and performance is fine. it was like this both for p35 and p45 chipsets.

Could there be something wrong with the bioses i flash because im using @bios straight from windows?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Why would you ever want to disable TM2?
    The scores still not brilliant, I get about 10k at Nuclearus with 3GHz and memory at 800m and 6.1 CPU at WEI.

Have you done a long overnight CMOS clear?
    Perhaps the battery is dieing, it also worth to check.

I dunno why I disable tm2. just a habit I guess. Just seems weird that a setting like that would change CPU performance on this mobo but not on other mobos from the same company.

I guess I will give the CMOS clear a go once I find the little plastic switch for it. Is there a way to check if the battery is faulty without buying a new one?
    Last edited by GanjaStar; 11-23-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Install another known good battery if you have one.
    Remember to switch the PSU off or disconnect the power and discharged the capacitors by pressing the power button once.
    Best to take the battery out and short the CLR_CMOS pins. If you don't have a jumper you can stick a folded aluminum foil between them, be careful not to bend them or short anything else.
    Leave it like that for the night, lets hope for good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information