Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: G33-DS3R wont post with new memory.

Default G33-DS3R wont post with new memory.

Hey all

I've been running a pc with the following configuration for the past few years with no issue Ive made various small changed over the years such as adding an SSD and Windows 7 but I've never had any issues.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard: Gigabyte G33-DS3R (BIOS revision F6) GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-G33-DS3R (rev. 1.x)
    Memory: 2gb (2x1gb) Corsair XMS2 800mhz (PC2-6400)
    GFX: Nvidia 8800GT
    HDDs: 1x60gb OCZ Agility SSD, 2x220gb Seagate in RAID 0, 1x 1TB Seagate

THe other day i decided to upgrade my RAM and as the spec sheet says the board can run up to 1066mhz RAM i got hold of 4gb (2x 2GB) of Kingston HyperX (PC2 8500) RAM. (Model #: KHX8500D2K2/4G) (Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for: KHX8500D2K2/4G)

When I plug the modules into the motherboard the motherboard won't get past the post screen without hanging. Infact it gets to the point where it writes

MEMORY T

and then hangs, i cant get into the BIOS at all so I cant change any settings with the HyperX in.
    If i re-insert the original corsair modules the PC boots fine, All the major settings for voltage etc are set to Auto as standard.

I've tried setting them to Voltage: 2.2v (recommended by kingston) and Multiplier 4x (1066mhz) then saving and turning of the PC and swapping the modules out before turning the PC back on but this leads to the same issue as before.

I also have another 4GB of the same HyperX RAM in another PC so I've been able to swap out modules there to check if they work, which they do with no errors.

I'm a little stumped as my first thought was voltages and clock speeds, but i cant edit them unless I can get into the BIOS.

There is a new BIOS update F7 but it doesnt make any mention of any memory tweaks and the @BIOS utility wont work in 64bit W7 so I would have to buy another and reinstall windows XP to get the BIOS flashed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
    Dave

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: G33-DS3R wont post with new memory.

Try to clear CMOS, removing the battery and shorting the CLR_CMOS pins for half an hour, then with only one 2GB module installed try to boot, try with the other module if it still hangs, try different slot.
    If you manage to boot with one module, load BIOS optimized default and set MCH OverVoltage +0.1, save reboot, turn the computer off and add the second module in the same color slot. (e.g. 1 & 3 or 2 & 4)

Hi.
    Thanks for the help. It really is much appreciated.

Resetting the CMOS allowed me to get to BIOS with one stick in slot 1.
    I set OverVoltage +0.1 but the memory reads as 800mhz. It still boots if i set the System Memory Multiplier to x4 and it reads as 1066mhz as expected.

However I get the same issue with it hanging before the POST if I put the second module in slot 2.

Is it just a case of upping the voltage by +0.1 until 2 work?

First run memtest86+ on both modules, each in the slot it will be installed in, if you get errors try to switch slot/module.
    Lets see there is no roblem with the modules or slots then see how we can get both to work.

I have been running memtest on all 4 (the 2 new and the 2 from the other PC) modules within the other PC while trying to get this PC to work. I've run each for a couple of hours with no errors. I shall however try them in this PC if that will help.

However for no obvious reason I can fathom it has actually started to work with 2 modules (Slots 1 and 3 or Slots 2 and 4). I have no idea why, I've not changed anything, I just decided to test it again and it worked fine. In fact it works fine with 3 modules in any combination but not with 4 where it will hang at the Post screen again. Same problem as before just with 4 instead of 2.

This is not an issue right now but as I want to upgrade the other PC in the near future and will switch to DDR3 I will be transferring those other 2 DDR2 modules into this PC.

Also the timings in CPUZ seem to be off so will need to change them.

Anyhow I shall set to work running memtest on here. was just trying to give as much info as possible

Cheers
    Dave

Couls be they weren't seated properly?
    To run the in at 1066 you will nedd +0.4/+0.5 DDR2 OverVoltage (check the sticker for actual voltage needed)

I Don't think so as I did swap them in and out to try different modules

The sticker says 2.2v the website says 2.2-2.3v.
    Am I correct in thinking the motherboards set to 1.8v so .4 to .5 increase would be correct?
    I shall try this tomorrow once mem test has completed on all 4 modules

Thanks once again for your time.

Hey

All the memory and slots appear to be fine

I've managed to get 3 running at 1066 using an DDR2 OverVoltage of 0.3 with no issues to report

But I cannot get 4 working. I've tried as far up as DDR2 OverVoltage to 0.6 and dropping it to 800mhz with no luck. it always just hangs at the memory read part on post screen (it does read 8gb though). It does seem that it works fine with modules in slots 1,2,3 and not 4 where as it is a bit hit and miss if i try modules in 1,2,4 and not 3.

Using 4 modules of 2 different models and sizes, you have 2 choices, install both models in both channels or install each model in it's own channel, both are not very appealing.
    If you are not in real need for extra memory the 4GB would be just enough.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

I'm running with 8GB of HyperX T1 1066 memory in my P35-DS3L with the following memory settings:
    Code:
    CPU Clock Ratio ___________________[8x] 
    CPU Frequency ______________[3.496GHz (437x8)]
    CPU Host Clock Control_____________[Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [437] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [101]
    Performance Enhance_______________ [Turbo] <-- Standard might be required
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    Memory Frequency(MHz)____[800]___ 874
    DRAM Timing Selectable___(SPD)______[Manual]
    Static tRead Value__________________[7] <-- for 437MHz
    CAS Latency Time_______________5____[4}
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay________5____[4]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay______5____[4]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)_________15___[10] <-- 12 might be needed

DDR2 OverVoltage Control___________[+0.4V] <-- 1.80 volts +0.40 = 2.20 volts
    FSB OverVoltage Control____________[+0.2V] <-- +0.1 is probably OK if your cpu is near the stock speed
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control_________[+0.2V] <-- for 4 x 2GB of DDR2_1066 memory
    Sometimes 1066MHz speeds won't work with 8GB of DDR2 memory. Some have had to lower their memory to 950 - 1000MHz. My preference is to run with tighter 4-4-4-10 (or 12) memory timings with 800 to 875MHz memory speeds. Some 8GB setups might be able to use cas4 settings up to about 900MHz. My memory speed is 874MHz (2.0 x 437MHz). Each of my 2 x 2GB HyperX kits were stable at 1066MHz, but I didn't bother testing 8GB at 1066MHz.

If you keep your cpu host frequency = 266, you might be able to use my memory settings but you should use the 3.20 system memory multiplier for 3.20 x 266 = 852MHz memory speed.

If you have a decent cpu cooler, you can get a significant performance boost with a higher cpu host frequency, even if you choose to keep your cpu at or near stock speeds. You will need to repeat your stress tests (including Prime95 tests) to ensure that your system is stable.

Happy tweaking!
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thread Information