Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68XP-UD4 Cold Boot Memory Error Forcing OC Recovery

Default Z68XP-UD4 Cold Boot Memory Error Forcing OC Recovery

System specifications:

Motherboard: GA-Z68XP-UD4 (F5 BIOS)
    Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K @ stock
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3
    Graphics Card: Palit NVIDIA GTX590
    Power Supply: Corsair HX750
    OS Storage: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD
    File Storage: Western Digital Green WD20EARX 2TB HDD

PROBLEM:
    Cannot get system to cold-boot with memory @ 800MHz (DDR3-1600) or without tripping OC recovery and defaulting to 1333MHz memory (yet CPU will maintain 4.2GHz overclock if overclocked)

Having tested the F2 and F5 BIOS, I have not been able to get the 4x4GB memory kit to maintain DDR3-1600MHz operations on a cold-boot, nor conduct a cold-boot without tripping the failed overclock boot recovery feature before reaching P.O.S.T. (i.e. 3x failed cold-boots reverts to 1333MHz memory and activates OC recovery boot [recovery feature functioning]).

Memory settings are:

Memory @ 800MHz (DDR3-1600) 9-9-9-24 2T

BIOS Settings:
    Code:
    X.M.P.: Disabled
    System Memory Multiplier: 16.00
    Performance Enhance: Standard
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Expert
    Channel Interleaving: Auto
    Rank Interleaving: Auto
    Channel A Timing Settings:
     CAS Latency Time:  9
     tRCD:    9
     tRP:    9
     tRAS:    24
     tRC:   34 (Auto)
     tRRD:   5 (Auto)
     tWTR:   5 (Auto)
     tWR:   10 (Auto)
     tWTP:   22 (Auto)
     tWL:   8 (Auto)
     tRFC:   108 (Auto)
     tFAW:   25 (Auto)
     Command Rate(CMD): 2
     IO Latency:  1 (Auto)
     Round Trip Latency: 37 (Auto)
    Channel B Timing Settings: 
     Same as Channel A
    The CPU and base clock have been left at stock default settings.

CPU Clock Ratio: 34x
    Base clock frequency: 100MHz

All advanced CPU Core Features left at default as well as tested with Turbo CPU Multiplier @ 42x for all four cores.

Voltage settings as set in BIOS:

Code:
    Multi-Steps Load-Line: Disabled
    CPU VCore: 1.260v
    QPI/VTT Voltage: 1.150v
    System Agent Voltage: 1.050v
    Graphics Core: Auto
    CPU PLL: 1.825v
    DRAM Voltage: 1.525v
    DRAM VRef: Auto
    DRAM Termination: Auto
    Ch-A DATA VRef: Auto
    Ch-B DATA VRef: Auto
    Ch-A Address VRef: Auto
    Ch-B Address VRef: Auto

NOTES:

This system is #2 of 2 systems built concurrently using the exact same hardware, down to the revision numbers of all relevant hardware being the same. That is, the CPU, motherboard and memory are all the same revision and batch numbers between the two systems.

The system will run stable once the above settings are saved in the BIOS (save and exit or pressing F10 to quit and save BIOS) and the system then reboots and loads into Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with memory happily operating @ 800MHz (DDR3-1600) 9-9-9-24 2T.

Motherboard fails to cold-boot 1x4GB (DIMM slot 1, 2, 3 and 4 tested), 2x4GB (DIMM slots 1+2 and 3+4 [1+3 and 2+4 visually] tested as per dual channel configuration) or 4x4GB memory configurations @ DDR3-1600 and trips failed overclock recovery feature after 3x failed boots and will P.O.S.T. with the memory @ DDR3-1333 as default for recovery boot.

The system will reboot multiple times from the operating system or BIOS with memory @ DDR3-1600 without any issues.

The system will happily run Prime95 either as a blended stress test (lots of RAM tested) or a stress test focusing on large, in-place FTTs (maximum heat) for hours without any problems.

The motherboard was originally provided with BIOS F2 and was updated to F5 (latest and specific BIOS for motherboard revision 1.0) in hope of resolving the problem. The problem has not been resolved and the characteristics of the fault have not changed either same problem as on F2 BIOS.

System #1 of 2 was setup and built using the same revision 1.0 motherboard, the same batch CPU and same model and batch memory and had zero problems booting 16GB (4x4GB) memory @ DDR3-1600 speeds from the first boot and currently runs with CPU @ 4.2GHz (Noctua cooled) and memory @ 800MHz (DDR3-1600) 9-9-9-24 2T.

To eliminate the CMOS battery from the equation, the CMOS battery was replaced with another CMOS battery (known good). This was done to eliminate the possibility of the CMOS settings being lost upon power-down due to a dead/low voltage CMOS battery. This did not resolve the issue.

Loosening the primary and secondary memory latency timings does not affect the cold-boot problem.

Here's a photo of the system being tested:

Click to view full size!

Any help resolving this problem would be much appreciated. Your help could allow for the system to be built into the case and the water cooling to be installed and some BF3 enjoyed. ^_^

I really hope I've overlooked something simple and can change a setting and have my issues resolved.

Thanks.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Z68XP-UD4 Cold Boot Memory Error Forcing OC Recovery

You have an excellent power supply but....
    Can you test with another power supply?
    Can you test using the other 16GB memory kit?

I recently had some issues with one of my systems and fixed the problem by cleaning the motherboard memory slots and memory contacts with 91% pure rubbing alcohol.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Since you have two identical systems, one which has the cold-boot problem and the other that doesn't, why not try switching the components from one system to the other. In other words, try swapping the power supply and RAM between the two systems. If the problem follows the components, then you know that it's either the PSU or RAM and you can then narrow it down further. If the problem follows the motherboard, then it's either a bad motherboard or a BIOS setting that's causing the problem. I assume that you have compared all of the BIOS settings, or better yet, save the settings from the good machine to a flash drive and then bring the flash drive to the problem machine and load the settings. I don't know what the RAM voltage is for your RAM, but my Kingston RAM is 1.5V for 1333 but jumps to 1.65V for 1600 (XMP Profile). If yours is the same, then perhaps you simply need to raise the RAM voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    You have an excellent power supply but....
    Can you test with another power supply?
    Can you test using the other 16GB memory kit?

I recently had some issues with one of my systems and fixed the problem by cleaning the motherboard memory slots and memory contacts with 91% pure rubbing alcohol.
    To clarify about the two systems based on the 2600K/Z68XP-UD4 combination, they are systems I was asked to build for two of my friends (their BF3 upgrades, essentially). System #1 is with its new owner - it was delivered as soon as it was complete and my mate is loving BF3 on it - and they live in another city 2.5hrs away but hopefully I should be catching up with the owner of system #1 on Sunday for the Brazilian GP (Formula One). So the plan will be to take the memory from system #2 with me and give it a run in system #1.

At this stage, I'm wondering if there is a fault with the IMC in the 2600K but my main objective is to resolve the issue without having to go through any RMA hassles, if possible. Also, the fact that the 2600K does operate (albeit still tripping OC recovery) at DDR3-1333, Intel will likely claim that the processor is working within the limits stipulated by the spec sheet. Ill test the 2600K from system #2 in system #1 this weekend also.

Thanks for the suggestion to try another power supply, and I agree that the Corsair units are of a high quality - I used to use multiple TX and HX units when overclocking with LN2 and cascade coolers.

I decided to take a break from trying to trouble-shoot the problematic 2600K/Z68XP-UD4 system and work on finding some hardware to rebuild my gaming system which has been out of action for a few months now (Zotac 790i SLI Ultra died on me, leaving my QX9650 homeless).

Using the same power supply (Corsair HX750) from the problematic system #2, I built the core of a platform for my gamer replacement using some spares I have.

System specifications:

Motherboard: MSI X58 Eclipse SLI
    Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ stock
    Memory: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 3x2GB (6GB)
    Graphics Card: XFX GTX280
    Power Supply: Corsair HX750
    OS Storage: Intel X25-M 80GB SSD

This system was put together and booted fine first go and held all memory settings upon restarts and cold boots. The SSD was then formatted and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit was installed.

There have been no problems using the PSU from system #2 on my replacement parts and I feel confident in ruling out the Corsair HX750 as the hardware at fault. Having said that though, I believe I have a spare Corsair TX750 I could test with and if need be I could pull the PC Power & Cooling 750W out of my Lian-Li system to test system #2.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCollette View Post
    Since you have two identical systems, one which has the cold-boot problem and the other that doesn't, why not try switching the components from one system to the other. In other words, try swapping the power supply and RAM between the two systems. If the problem follows the components, then you know that it's either the PSU or RAM and you can then narrow it down further. If the problem follows the motherboard, then it's either a bad motherboard or a BIOS setting that's causing the problem. I assume that you have compared all of the BIOS settings, or better yet, save the settings from the good machine to a flash drive and then bring the flash drive to the problem machine and load the settings. I don't know what the RAM voltage is for your RAM, but my Kingston RAM is 1.5V for 1333 but jumps to 1.65V for 1600 (XMP Profile). If yours is the same, then perhaps you simply need to raise the RAM voltage.
    Youre right; I have ensured that the BIOS settings are the same between the two systems as well as searching for potential settings for the individual systems.

As mentioned above, Ill be taking the memory from system #2 to test in system #1 this weekend. If it works in system #1 then I believe the problem is down to either the motherboard or the processor.

The memory selected for both system #1 and #2 was selected as they are specifically developed for Sandybridge systems and therefore run at 1.5v for both the default DDR3-1333 SPD profile as well as the DDR3-1600 X.M.P. settings.

When testing the voltage settings I tried from 0.950v to 1.150v for the VTT and 1.50v to 1.55v for the vDIMM in multiple combinations with neither yielding any positive results.

My to-do list as it stands is:

• Test system #2 using Corsair TX750 power supply
    • Test memory from system #2 in system #1
    • Test processor from system #2 in system #1

I believe this approach should give further insight into what component is producing the fault.

Thank you for your suggestions and Ill be sure to report back with the results.

On a side note, I used the Gigabyte Global Tech Support (Gigabyte GTS) and sent a copy of my first post along with additional information, hoping to get some more detailed feedback from Gigabyte with suggested potential causes for the issue. Instead I got the most generic and unhelpful reply stating something along the lines of we cannot support all memory on the market blah blah blah and listing the most obvious trouble shooting process which Id also mentioned had been executed already. In short, it was utterly useless. A sad but true fact.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Thumbs down Re: Z68XP-UD4 Cold Boot Memory Error Forcing OC Recovery

On a side note, I used the Gigabyte Global Tech Support (Gigabyte GTS) and sent a copy of my first post along with additional information, hoping to get some more detailed feedback from Gigabyte with suggested potential causes for the issue. Instead I got the most generic and unhelpful reply stating something along the lines of we cannot support all memory on the market blah blah blah and listing the most obvious trouble shooting process which Id also mentioned had been executed already. In short, it was utterly useless. A sad but true fact.
    ;start rant
    I'd like to see just one motherboard manufacturer get their act together and offer fast, decent tech support where their people fluently speak the native languages of their customers and provide meaningful advice and/or suggestions. The first mobo company than can pull this off will greatly expand their sales and customer base, even if their products are only as good as their competitors. It's too bad that they can't come up with a system where the companies contract with local computer shops to provide component testing and quality warranty repairs.
    ;end rant
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thread Information