Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive ..." GA EP35 DS3L Error

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: "Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive ..." GA EP35 DS3L Error

The auto bios scanning might only be searching for a saved bios image that it automatically created and saved to disk in some of the system reserved sectors of your former boot drive. I don't know how or where to find these sectors. A quick web search using: bios hpa might give some information as to where the bios might be. HPA is Host Protected Area (aka Hidden Protected Area), it looks like I've got some more learning to do ;) The most recent F9 bios for my P35-DS3L has a bios option to enable or disable automatically saving a bios image. This is not the same as having Q-Flash save a copy of the current bios and saved profiles as a file to a FAT file partition.

The motherboard warranty is for three years, usually from the date of manufacture. From the serial number: SNyyww..... yy is the year of manufacture and ww is the week of manufacture. You might be able to find a decent used P35 or P45 motherboard if you want to wait for Ivy Bridge and their new motherboards. Current Sandy Bridge setups have excellent features and performance, and Ivy Bridge offers additional features, somewhat better performance, and lower power requirements. Right now there are a lot of questions about just how "compatible" or how many Ivy Bridge features will be supported if you eventually want to add an Ivy Bridge cpu to a P67 or Z68 motherboard. Best guesstimate is that Ivy Bridge will be released in March or April in 2012.

My P35-DS3L has been a great setup when it became my primary machine after my EP45-UD3P suddenly shut down and refused to power on.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    The auto bios scanning might only be searching for a saved bios image that it automatically created and saved to disk in some of the system reserved sectors of your former boot drive. I don't know how or where to find these sectors. A quick web search using: bios hpa might give some information as to where the bios might be. HPA is Host Protected Area (aka Hidden Protected Area), it looks like I've got some more learning to do ;) The most recent F9 bios for my P35-DS3L has a bios option to enable or disable automatically saving a bios image. This is not the same as having Q-Flash save a copy of the current bios and saved profiles as a file to a FAT file partition.

The motherboard warranty is for three years, usually from the date of manufacture. From the serial number: SNyyww..... yy is the year of manufacture and ww is the week of manufacture. You might be able to find a decent used P35 or P45 motherboard if you want to wait for Ivy Bridge and their new motherboards. Current Sandy Bridge setups have excellent features and performance, and Ivy Bridge offers additional features, somewhat better performance, and lower power requirements. Right now there are a lot of questions about just how "compatible" or how many Ivy Bridge features will be supported if you eventually want to add an Ivy Bridge cpu to a P67 or Z68 motherboard. Best guesstimate is that Ivy Bridge will be released in March or April in 2012.

My P35-DS3L has been a great setup when it became my primary machine after my EP45-UD3P suddenly shut down and refused to power on.
    I see, I've read that somewhere as well... Two different things, actually - I've read that those who hadn't cleared their CMOS eventually came to a solution with their BIOS Image working properly again... That the CMOS actually may hold a back-up BIOS image and clearing it would wipe it out. If that's the case then psshh my quest was way over before it began. And that the BIOS Image is hidden in some secret spot on my hdd. Idk which is true.

I'm glad I could get a techy as experienced as you thinkin', let's me know my problem isn't too easily solved. I'm planning to receive a cheap, do-able 775 socket Intel motherboard sometime soon, as an early Christmas/BDay gift, along with a 2 GB stick of RAM. That should do the trick, 'til everything I own is completely obsolete within the next few years. :)

I'm gonna look up that HPA infoan you were talking about, hopefully I can learn more from this experience than I even hoped for. Thanks again Prof
    Last edited by cscheidell; 12-02-2011 at 06:50 AM.

I don't recall coming across a situation where clearing the cmos "killed" the motherboard's corrupted bios. The link that Chike provided in post #3 has some good information, but it also has some incorrect information. Clearing the CMOS basically clears your current applied settings and should reapply some "safe" default bios settings. It doesn't erase, clear or rewrite the the bios itself. However if the underlying bios (but not the bios settings) is corrupted, I suppose anything is possible.

A bios hpa web search will point you to some useful tools, but it will be similar to having all the tools to need to fix your car, but you have no idea where your car is or how to find your "lost" car.

The following links won't help you with your motherboard's bios because your motherboard has a single "master" main bios chip, and these links deal with how to possibly boot using the backup copy of the bios that is saved in the 2nd backup bios chip. You might find some useful information or additional links in the following links:

Official Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 Info Thread - Page 21 <-- XtremeSystems.org
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ng-failed.html <-- TweakTown thread
    Bios Recovery Procedures -- [My Digital Life]

In theory the dual bios chip setup is awesome, in practice it left a lot to be desired.
    After doing all this research, cscheidell will become the go to guy for fixing damaged bioses.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Forgot to add:
    Use the TweakTown advanced search feature using the keyword: unbrick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information