Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Promise IDE controller issue

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Promise IDE controller issue

The list of devices is the last post screen where it says "Updating DMI pool". You can disable the logo screen in Advanced CMOS Features, and press the pause key to freeze the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    The list of devices is the last post screen where it says "Updating DMI pool". You can disable the logo screen in Advanced CMOS Features, and press the pause key to freeze the screen.
    thanks, i'll try this to see what is displayed when i get a chance to swap the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Might try this...I found it on MS technet. May or may not do the trick. But this would only work if the device is detected in the bios and in the device manager.
    i posted previously that i actually tried this and it was the same version as what you listed in the quote. somebody else in the thread that was quoted mentioned that they could not get it to work on a intel MB with an I5 setup. now i'm not sure by an intel MB they mean actually intel or intel compatible. and i'm assuming that the I5 setup means an I5 processor. but i am only guessing. and i do have an i5 processor although i can't believe that that would factor into it.

here is the thread that was quoted:

Promise Ultra 133 TX2 - Win7 Compat Center says it's compatible, but no drivers work!

when i get a chance i'm going to have to try this driver again. i think i remember (i really should take notes) seeing the card listed in device manager but it might have been before i actually hooked up a drive (or at least jumpered correctly). i know that when i thought i had everything correctly configured that the system would boot and just hang at "Loading Operating System".

as i said before, i'll have to try this again (along with a few of the other suggestions previously posted) and take notes!

Your system full specs might help resolve this problem your having.

Methinks if you have the HDD hooked up to the IDE card it may be seeing the cards bios and screwing things up.

But just for fun let's do some basic stuff.

1) Are you able to boot into Win 7 with the HD disconnected from the Promise controller?

2) If yes does the card have have a GUI you can access? I doubt it.

3) If you are able to boot into Win 7 you'll need to do two things. Do all of this with the HDD disconnected from the card
    a) Find and install the latest bios for this card.
    b) Install the drivers
    c) shutdown, hook up HDD and reboot.

hope this helps if not i'm out of sugestions...

I still don't get why a person would want to use such an old technology on a bad arse board. SATA HDD are so cheap these days. But that's just me.
    Last edited by Conners; 12-05-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: adding WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Your system full specs might help resolve this problem your having.

Methinks if you have the HDD hooked up to the IDE card it may be seeing the cards bios and screwing things up.

But just for fun let's do some basic stuff.

1) Are you able to boot into Win 7 with the HD disconnected from the Promise controller?

2) If yes does the card have have a GUI you can access? I doubt it.

3) If you are able to boot into Win 7 you'll need to do two things. Do all of this with the HDD disconnected from the card
    a) Find and install the latest bios for this card.
    b) Install the drivers
    c) shutdown, hook up HDD and reboot.

hope this helps if not i'm out of sugestions...

I still don't get why a person would want to use such an old technology on a bad arse board. SATA HDD are so cheap these days. But that's just me.

i've been in contact with a friend of mine who also has a Promise IDE controller card although his version is the Ultra 100 TX2 while mine is the Ultra 66. he never had luck in getting his to work and i mentioned the post i made along with some of the recommendations.

he did try some of the suggestions and still could not get the card to work. since his card is actually a later version than my card i doubt that i would have any luck either. here is the contents of the note that he sent me.

"I tried the Promise card again, this time not plugging any drive into it.
    It stated that it wasn't installing the Promise BIOS because there were
    no drives attached. This time, I was able to boot into Windows. I
    installed the 133TX2 driver, which it accepted and then called the 100TX2.
    However, the card won't start (error code 10). In doing a Google search,
    this is a common problem. A few people have said that the driver works,
    but most people find that the driver installs, but the board won't work
    (error 10). I tried it in XP, Vista x64, and Win7 x64. Board worked fine
    (no errors in Dev Mgr) in XP, but had error 10 in both Vista & Win7."

when i was doing my attempts i remember that i was able to get into windows with the IDE controller card installed and saw it in Device Manager. i think i was able to get into windows because either the cable was not seated fully in the card or the drive or i had the drive jumpered wrong. in any case when i installed the driver i remember getting the error code 10.

so, i'm going to cut my losses (time-wise) and call it quits for getting this card to work in Windows 7, 64-bit.

i want to thank everyone who provided comments and suggestions.

guess i'll have to look on newegg for a card that does work in windows 7, 64-bit and hope that it works. i have a few small IDE drivers that are just sitting around and a few drive bays just waiting to be filled. :>) :>)

Actually I may steered you a little wrong there. The bios probably needs to installed with some sort of bootable media. floppy, pen drive ect.

This is from a Ultra66 users manual.

BIOS Upgrade
    The following instructions detail the steps that need to be taken in order to upgrade
    the BIOS of your Ultra66 controller card. BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) controls
    the booting operation of the Ultra66. If you receive information regarding an
    update for the Ultra66 BIOS (from the Promise website or technical support), download
    the update and then follow these instructions to install the update.
    Before updating the Ultra66 BIOS, you can save the old
    BIOS by choosing option 1 in the main menu (“Backup
    Current ROM BIOS to File”; see step 6, below). Type
    the path and file name where you wish to save the old
    BIOS (i.e., “A:\OLDBIOS.BIN”).

1 Create a bootable floppy, and copy the files “PTIFLASH.EXE” and
    “ULBIOS.BIN” to the floppy.
    The file “PTIFLASH.EXE” is a command prompt-only program;
    a bootable floppy must be used to run the program
    2 At the “A:\>” prompt, type “PTIFLASH.” The main menu should be
    generated.

3 In the main menu, choose option 2 - “UpdateBIOS From File.”

4 In the pop-up dialog box that appears, enter the path and name of
    the BIOS file you wish to update to (i.e., “A:\ULBIOS.BIN”).
    If, after typing in the path and file name while trying to
    update the BIOS, you receive the message “This file is
    not found,” make sure you’ve entered the correct path
    and file name.

5 The utility will then update the Ultra66 BIOS, and an “Update

Success” message will appear.

6 Restart the system.

7 When the Ultra66 BIOS appears, make sure that the BIOS version
    is the new version.
    Last edited by Conners; 12-09-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information