Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promise IDE controller issue

Default Promise IDE controller issue

i have a new system i just built with a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 motherboard using a SATA drive (ACHI mode) as the boot [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]device[/COLOR][/COLOR]. from my old system i ripped out an old Promise IDE Ultra66 controller hoping to use an old hard drive as secondary storage.

i installed the card into a PCI slot but when i boot into Windows 7 (64-bit) the system just hangs at "Loading Operating System". the cables are installed correctly and the drive is jumpered as 'Single".

a friend of mine also tried this with a Promise IDE controller (not sure of the model) along with a Gigabye [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue ! important]motherboard[/COLOR][/COLOR] (not sure of the model) with exactly the same results.

is there any way to get the Gigabyte board or Windows 7 to recognize this IDE controller so that it can be used?

thanks!

Default Re: Promise IDE controller issue

Methinks you'll need a driver for your promise IDE controller for win 7 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Methinks you'll need a driver for your promise IDE controller for win 7 64 bit.
    i actually did load a driver, well sort of.

i came across a post somewhere else that if you download the latest driver for the Ultra133 TX2 card that it supports the Ultra66 card. inside the txtsetup.oem file you can see an entry for other Promise cards of the Ultra series for both 32 and 64 bit. however, the entries state that it is for Vista. now my impression is that the kernel driver model for Windows 7 is basically just like Vista so i gave it a whirl and tried it, however it did not seem to work.

i think that you are right in that it is a driver issue however i was hoping that the Vista one would work.

If it were me I'd forget the promise card and just use a IDE HD to SATA adaptor.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

With your Promise card physically installed, have you tried booting to windows Safe mode with Network support.
    If safe mode boots OK, see if you can download the drivers using windows update.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Chike is offline Senior Member

Is the card listed in post screen?
    Vendor id 105a

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    If it were me I'd forget the promise card and just use a IDE HD to SATA adaptor.
    i just looked at some at newegg. i guess if i'm going to have to spend some dollars i'd rather look into a card that specifically states support for windows 7 64-bit since i could hook up 2 IDE drives to it, although the cost for two adapters is about the cost for one PCI card. not sure how eagerly i want to pursue this since i do have several external USB drives that i can use for back-ups. what's worrisome when buying something like this is whether or not it will work which seems to be the case on some of the newegg reviews for both the adapters and cards.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    With your Promise card physically installed, have you tried booting to windows Safe mode with Network support.
    If safe mode boots OK, see if you can download the drivers using windows update.
    i did not try this but when i get a chance i could give it a shot.

i'm guessing that this card as an onboard BIOS. anyone know if there is a keypress to hit while booting to see if there is a configuration screen for changing some sort of option?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Is the card listed in post screen?
    Vendor id 105a
    the post screen id turned off by default. i can hit a key while booting to see if anything shows up when i get a chance to put the card into the new system.

i'll have to look at my old system (XP) where the card is now. i know that there are messages displayed showing the 4 IDE channels and the ID of the drive connected on that system. i'll also have to look to see if there is a key to hit to get into the built-in BIOS (i'm assuming that there is one).

Might try this...I found it on MS technet. May or may not do the trick. But this would only work if the device is detected in the bios and in the device manager.

by jove, I think I got it!

I seem to have updated the driver successfully for my WIN 7 64 OS. I downloaded the ULTRA133 TX2 WINDOWS 2.1.0.3 LOGO DRIVER packet to my desktop. I opened it up. I went to the AMD64 folder inside that. Inside are 3 files: ultra.sys, ultra.inf, and ultra.cat. Just create a folder on your desktop. Copy and paste those three files into it. Open DEVICE MANAGER. Left click the device to update the driver for. Use the BROWSE FOR DRIVER option. Direct the updater to the folder that you created on your desktop and VIOLA!

The issue seems to be that the driver updater doesn't know which files it needs, or where to get them, unless you follow those easy steps first.

No charge. Kudos are welcome.

- bajafreak
    Last edited by Conners; 12-05-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information