Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 107

Thread: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??




  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Did you flash the backup BIOS to match the main? If not, you need to do this, here's how (you may need to use PS/2 keyboard or USB to PS/2 adapter)
    GIGABYTE Tech Daily: Video guide how to update your backup bios on GIGABYTE P67 boards

    Avoid using the reset button as well, and be sure you start by loading optimized defaults in the BIOS, then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS to set your SATA settings for windows and any other changes you need.

    Then do the backup BIOS flash as mentioned above
    My apologies, I forgot to mention this in my post, but flashing my backup BIOS was one of the first things I've done with each board. Every time I've hoped it's worked but inevitably, I have the same issue. As for the reset button, it's a nonissue because this problem occurs when I cold boot and press the power button. When I simply reset or restart this problem does not occur.

  2. #52
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Ahh ok, well that's good you've been doing that already!

    So this happens on three boards right? Are all three used at once, or just at different times? Just wondering if they all have their own memory? If so, have you tested each stick one by one on a cold boot?

    If not, test each stick one by one each morning, as in put in the single stick at night and set it up and make sure it's all working, then cold boot test in the morning. Do that once each day until you have tested each module one by one, often times this can be a perfectly working stable module otherwise, but you'll find one or two may fail cold boots in the morning or after 6-8 hours downtime. So that would be what I'd test next for sure, on each machines set of memory if they all have their own.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh ok, well that's good you've been doing that already!

    So this happens on three boards right? Are all three used at once, or just at different times? Just wondering if they all have their own memory? If so, have you tested each stick one by one on a cold boot?

    If not, test each stick one by one each morning, as in put in the single stick at night and set it up and make sure it's all working, then cold boot test in the morning. Do that once each day until you have tested each module one by one, often times this can be a perfectly working stable module otherwise, but you'll find one or two may fail cold boots in the morning or after 6-8 hours downtime. So that would be what I'd test next for sure, on each machines set of memory if they all have their own.
    I've had three separate boards but sequentially. I had my original that I bought then the 2 replacement Gigabyte sent me.

    As for the memory I suppose I could do that, although I fail to see the difference between trying 4 individual sticks 10 minutes apart or leaving one in there overnight. Oftentimes whenever I change the RAM configuration that's an automatic recipe for a boot loop sequence as soon as the machine turns on. I fix it by pressing Reset for about 5 minutes and power cycling or I can reset CMOS but when I reset CMOS I often still have boot loops and have the same process except that I've lost all my settings.

    I was really hoping that this problem was due to memory timings or running at DDR 1600 or using too many sticks. At least then I'd have a stable board. However, I've been able to replicate this problem using any combination of sticks at DDR 1333 or 1600 with XMP profile or just the default profile at any voltage. I guess I'll begin the process of leaving one stick in overnight and cold-booting.

    At this point I've sunk so much time into this board that I'm really leaning towards just buying an ASUS P8Z68-Pro/Gen 3. Yeah I lose $150, but time is money and I've spent so many mornings holding a screwdriver on the CMOS jumper trying to make my board boot.

  4. #54
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Please trust me on this, otherwise if you don't how can you expect people to try and help you out? Cold boot means cold boot, it can be a few hours if really actually cold temp wise, or 8+ hours downtime at room temp.

    And hey, you're the one that mentioned cold boot first anyway! I'm just trying to help you figure out the cause of the issues!!

    But honestly, I've seen this a few times, and once myself personally on a set I almost beat to death because I couldn't figure out what the problem was! A single stick can rear it's ugly head on a cold boot, yet be perfectly stable any other time, that's why I suggested testing like I did.

    I have zero issues here on two P67 boards and a Z68, with any of the tons of memory kits I have, but if I were to put in that one stick I used to have I'd have cold boot issues for sure!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-23-2012 at 02:33 PM.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Please trust me on this, otherwise if you don't how can you expect people to try and help you out? Cold boot means cold boot, it can be a few hours if really actually cold temp wise, or 8+ hours downtime at room temp.

    And hey, you're the one that mentioned cold boot first anyway! I'm just trying to help you figure out the cause of the issues!!

    But honestly, I've seen this a few times, and once myself personally on a set I almost beat to death because I couldn't figure out what the problem was! A single stick can rear it's ugly head on a cold boot, yet be perfectly stable any other time, that's why I suggested testing like I did.

    I have zero issues here on two P67 boards and a Z68, with any of the tons of memory kits I have, but if I were to put in that one stick I used to have I'd have cold boot issues for sure!
    So I was going to implement your suggestions this morning, but when I took out all of the memory but one stick I got caught in an endless boot loop as usual. However, this time I couldn't get out of the loop even after resetting CMOS a few times so I pulled my graphics cards since in the past this has made it more stable. However, when I pulled my graphics cards I was able to get the system to run completely stable. I overclocked it, turned on PLL overvoltage, etc. I shut it down and turned it on many times, although perhaps I just need to test it more. I tried adding in just one graphics card and when I did so... I get the boot loop. I tried pulling the graphics card again and I still had the boot loop a few times but it went away. I need to do a lot more testing to verify this, but do you have any ideas why adding a graphics card would cause my system to become unstable? Keep in mind that although I have two graphics cards I've run this system with only one of them before and had the boot loop problems.

  6. #56
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Hmmm, you were supposed to setup the single stick last night, before this morning, that way you could test cold boot from single stick

    Ya, you'll need to do a lot more testing now to see what's going on, if one card is causing the issues, or both, or any card period. I'd also somehow still get in the memory testing I suggested. I'm not sure why a graphics card would do that, unless it's possibly partially faulty or something, or semi-incompatible which I doubt is the case. Could be the PSU maybe, since you have to connect the card to the PSU for additional power?

    I do know, sometimes PCI cards can cause issues, but generally not PCIE cards.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmmm, you were supposed to setup the single stick last night, before this morning, that way you could test cold boot from single stick

    Ya, you'll need to do a lot more testing now to see what's going on, if one card is causing the issues, or both, or any card period. I'd also somehow still get in the memory testing I suggested. I'm not sure why a graphics card would do that, unless it's possibly partially faulty or something, or semi-incompatible which I doubt is the case. Could be the PSU maybe, since you have to connect the card to the PSU for additional power?

    I do know, sometimes PCI cards can cause issues, but generally not PCIE cards.
    Yeah, it's really weird. It may just be an artifact of how sporadic this thing is. Right now I have both graphics cards in but when I POST I'm booting to the motherboard HDMI outlet and then I switch to the graphics cards once I'm in windows. So far it seems to help a lot but we'll see. More and more testing. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Allen, have you tried disabling the onboard vga, and then manually setting your BIOS to boot from the PCIe x16 first? (with your discrete video card(s) installed of course).
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
    Intel i7 2700K @ 4.5Ghz
    G.Skill DDR3 16Gb @ 1866Mhz
    eVGA GTX 570 SC x2 SLi
    Crucial C300 x2 RAID0
    WD 640Gb Black x2 RAID0
    Corsair HX1000
    H20 Swiftech/XSPC

  9. #59
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Well that's an odd way to test, how I mention using it now I mean. But since this is an odd issue, I'd go ahead and test any and all ways you can think of. I'd also test the cards for stability (With only one card installed and connect to the card) using afterburner or Furmark just to see if one of them act different than the other, or one gets much hotter than the other, ect

    And don't forget the single stick cold boot memory testing, as one iffy stick can cause any number of random issues on a cold boot, so I'd actually get started on that each morning with all other testing aside or in the afternoon/warm booting.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??

    Quote Originally Posted by wevsspot63 View Post
    Allen, have you tried disabling the onboard vga, and then manually setting your BIOS to boot from the PCIe x16 first? (with your discrete video card(s) installed of course).
    Yes, I need to test just a single graphics card in the x16 slot. I've used a single graphics card in the x8 slot for months on my first board and I had this issue most mornings. This issue is very sporadic now that I've upped the PTT/QPI voltage and the DRAM voltage and turned off PLL overvoltage. Running both graphics cards was stable for a while but then I got the bootloop chain for a couple of cold boots in a row. At the moment though it seems as if the board BIOS just isn't happy when I have two graphics cards in crossfire, or when I use the x8 PCIe slot.

    I'll do the morning memory thing as suggested.
    Last edited by allenwr1505; 03-24-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •