Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One time boot loop using reset button on Z68XP-UD4 (1.0) motherboard - PLEASE HELP!

Default One time boot loop using reset button on Z68XP-UD4 (1.0) motherboard - PLEASE HELP!

Hello Everybody!

I registered here at this forum in order to hopefully be able to get some help in straightening out this weird quirk I am experiencing with my new computer that I just built.
    It is a Core i7 2600k based system with 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance Low Profile RAM which has been tested with this motherboard to work properly by Corsair.
    Power supply used is a Corsair AX850 so the quality of the power supply shouldn't be a problem.

The machine seems to be working perfectly in every sense of the word so far, having run Prime95 for a number of hours, having run Memtest86+ 4.20 for 6 hours with no
    issues detected, and having just plain used it with no hiccups whatsoever. It just simply seems to be working fine as far as I can tell.

The PROBLEM though is when I decide to quickly restart the system using the reset button wired up to the reset switch pins on the motherboard.

Then the following happens:

1) Black screen as the computer resets (as always happens when you tap reset!)

2) Power down for 1-2 seconds upon which it then goes powering up again (maybe this is the normal reset cycle for Z68 boards, I wouldn't know)

3) Showing BIOS POST screen (but seemingly having reverted to the Backup BIOS (more evident before I upgraded both BIOSes to F5, as one was F5 and the secondary F2)
    and then showing here that it has detected an overclock of the memory under the condition that I have set the X.M.P feature to use Profile 1. Using X.M.P seems fully stable
    in use also with no issues whatsoever. If it is set to use X.M.P it also resets the setting to disabled. At this point it goes on to write out "Waiting for ME Ready...." counting
    down and then restarting the computer...

4) At this point it then boots up with the primary BIOS, and works perfectly.

I contacted Gigabyte support (GGTS) and they wrote back to me saying that I should try the latest BIOS for my motherboard (F6f as of writing this), which I did but it did not
    resolve the problem. It is still present after updating the BIOS. Since the computer works wonderfully well apart from this issue (which only shows itself when using the
    Reset button!) I wonder what could be wrong. I wrote Gigabyte GGTS back with more detailed information but I have yet to hear anything from them at this point.

I am currently running latest stable BIOS for Z68XP-UD4 (Rev 1.0) F5 on both primary and backup BIOS.

One thing I wonder about is if the Gigabyte boards (such as my Z68XP-UD4 Rev 1.0) is if they do some automatic default overclocking that could cause the computer to act up like
    this when using the reset button to restart it.
    Possibly if it could be a faulty RAM module that is causing it (having run Memtest86+ for 6 hours straight with no problem here).

Corsair Vengeance LP CML16GX3M4A1600C9 and sold in a 4x4 GB set...

As far as I have gotten with it it SEEMS to me that this would be a BIOS issue that Gigabytes BIOS Guys will have to take care of and fix. I absolutely love Gigabytes motherboards
    coming from an old P35-DS4 motherboard that has worked like a charm for some 4 years, however this issue has me very distraught and I would like to have it fixed somehow.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Any Tech people from Gigabyte reading this this that perhaps would have a newer Beta BIOS than F6f that would fix this issue?
    I may be forced to abandon this motherboard and go buy myself an ASUS board instead if a fix for this is not forthcoming. Also having read about people having
    constant boot loop issues on cold boot of their system.... (it seems like this may be a variant of that) - I think that Gigabyte needs to adress this as it affects lots of people.

I need any help that I can get with this issue!

Thank you in advance,
    Gigabytelover

Default Re: One time boot loop using reset button on Z68XP-UD4 (1.0) motherboard - PLEASE HELP!

i think its aknown issue and its advised to either hold in the reset button or reset/restart pc from within windows,might need to wait for newer bios's to fix things,can try backing up back up bios with main bios chip version hold alt and f12 at splash screen and it will do this
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: One time boot loop using reset button on Z68XP-UD4 (1.0) motherboard - PLEASE HELP!

I just tried reset button a dozen times with bios F6f version and wasn't able to get system in that boot cycle loop anymore. Seems that something has been improved with new version.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
    i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz, EK Supreme HF
    Kingston HyperX Genesis PC3-12800 2* 4 GB
    Radeon HD 7950
    OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
    XFX 650W Core edition
    Fractal Design Arc Midi

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5
    i7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz, XSPC Raystorm
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 2* 4 GB
    Radeon HD 6870 * 2
    PNY XL8 120 GB
    Super Flower SF-700P14XE
    Bitfenix Shinobi XL

Quote Originally Posted by mm67 View Post
    I just tried reset button a dozen times with bios F6f version and wasn't able to get system in that boot cycle loop anymore. Seems that something has been improved with new version.
    Did you then update both primary and secondary BIOS? When I first updated to the F6f BIOS as a test I did so ONLY on the Primary BIOS because I didn't know of the secondary BIOS if that makes any sense?
    Also a general question, when you flash the secondary BIOS, should you let it clone the primary one exactly as it is or first restore to Optimized default before doing so?

I did update both bioses, don't know if that makes any difference. I was already running my overclocked settings when I updated the secondary bios.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
    Radeon HD 7950
    OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
    XFX 650W Core edition
    Fractal Design Arc Midi

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5
    Radeon HD 6870 * 2
    PNY XL8 120 GB
    Super Flower SF-700P14XE
    Bitfenix Shinobi XL

I did update both bioses, don't know if that makes any difference. I was already running my overclocked settings when I updated the secondary bios.
    Okay now I tried it again - updated primary and secondary BIOS to F6f BIOS - AND IT WORKED FOR ME - No more boot loop on using reset!!!!
    However it still complains about 'You have overclocked your RAM' blah blah blah if I have XMP enabled. Do you think I should set up XMP and then flash THAT to secondary BIOS?
    Maybe that will let it work at 1600 with the memory and not go nuts over it still when I hit reset??
    Last edited by gigabytelover; 01-17-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Being daft and not finishing the sentence...

I already had XMP profile loaded when I updated secondary bios, maybe that helps since I don't see such messages.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
    Radeon HD 7950
    OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
    XFX 650W Core edition
    Fractal Design Arc Midi

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5
    Radeon HD 6870 * 2
    PNY XL8 120 GB
    Super Flower SF-700P14XE
    Bitfenix Shinobi XL

I already had XMP profile loaded when I updated secondary bios, maybe that helps since I don't see such messages.
    Tried to do what you suggested and set the XMP Profile as loaded and then update the secondary BIOS, the funny (or not so funny) part is that now I have no reset boot-loop as described earlier,
    but now instead as soon as I set XMP Profile 1 as Enabled in BIOS, save and reboot - the system stops at boot telling me 'You have overclocked/overvolted something' and then it
    resets to 1333 again (rather than 1600) and proceeds to boot the system.

I am not as bothered by this issue to be honest as I think the memory will run cooler at 1333 setting anyway, but its kind of bothersome that when one problem is fixed another crops up.
    No matter, I am happy that the reset issue has been fixed by flashing both the primary AND secondary BIOS.

Happy I am! :-)

I think somebody said that XMP profile doesn't fully work, I for example have set Dram and Qpi//VTT voltages manually. You could try that one as well.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
    Radeon HD 7950
    OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
    XFX 650W Core edition
    Fractal Design Arc Midi

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5
    Radeon HD 6870 * 2
    PNY XL8 120 GB
    Super Flower SF-700P14XE
    Bitfenix Shinobi XL

I think somebody said that XMP profile doesn't fully work, I for example have set Dram and Qpi//VTT voltages manually. You could try that one as well.
    How do I set everything up manually so that my RAM runs at the intended speed of 1600Mhz with the right voltage and timings?
    CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V

is what it says on the product page for my 16 GB kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information