Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P67A-GD55 build suddenly won't boot or post - please help

Default P67A-GD55 build suddenly won't boot or post - please help

Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some useful information and/or troubleshooting advice as I am at my wit's end.

I built this machine about 9 months ago and it has been working like a dream right up until yesterday, when I came home from work, turned it on and it failed to boot for no apparent reason.

When I power on, the leds come on, the fans spin but I cannot post or even get into BIOS. The error code in the bottom right corner of the screen stalls at "92". I have been scouring the Internet for information as to what this code means for about 2 hours to no avail. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Everything is less than a year old in this rig _except_ the power supply which I scavenged from my previous machine. So I have a suspicion that the power supply may be the culprit, but I really don't want to make any purchases until I have more certainty as to what is causing this issue. Also, I have tried powering with different RAM so memory is not the issue.

If anyone can help me with this I would be GREATLY appreciative - this thing is my baby.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: P67A-GD55 build suddenly won't boot or post - please help

Do you have another video card you could test with to rule that out?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS fully? Unplug the power supply from the wall, or your board, and then remove the CMOS battery. Then press and hold the case power on button for a minute or so, then let it sit overnight and try in the morning and see if that fixes it.

Code 92 is not generally used, at least from what I can find? You could try asking Gigabyte directly, but it could take a few days or more for their reply
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

If you could borrow another PSU that would be great too so you can rule that out, or maybe test that PSU on an older setup?

*Edit*

Found this, maybe it will help! Says post code 92 means "Detecting the presence of the keyboard", so try another keyboard or remove your keyboard and see if it posts after that!
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-025434.htm
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-28-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Code 92 is not generally used, at least from what I can find? You could try asking Gigabyte directly, but it could take a few days or more for their reply
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support
    I doubt GB will give any kind of support to MSI boards :)

Haha, ya I thought that model looked odd and MSI-ish, but carried on thinking maybe he just wrote it incorrectly.

I think it's a faulty Keyboard per Intel's list, first result in google so not sure how he missed it?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

MSI has an excellent users' forum: MSI HQ Users-to-Users Forum - Index

Create a new thread here if your system uses stock settings: Intel Core-iX boards

Create a new thread here if you system is overclocked: Overclockers & Undervolting & Modding Corner

Their resident gurus usually respond very quickly to new threads.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

To others on this thread, sorry Giga was my last MB. For some reason I thought this one was as well - whilst leafing through my MSI manual if you can believe that. Perception can do funny things. Stupid error on my part!! I suppose that also explains why I had trouble Googling, since it would be difficult to parse Gigabyte + this model number.

However you, Lsdmeasap, are my personal hero. It was indeed something to do with the keyboard. I just switched USB ports for the keyboard and all is well. Three days downtime! TIL that a bad keyboard connection can cause a computer to not post!

A hearty thanks to all. Does this forum accept donations?
    Last edited by jmp; 01-29-2012 at 01:07 AM.

No worries, we help other non-Gigabyte users here too, just not as often and it's always a surprise to use when we see a non-Gigabyte user post a question in here

Thanks so much for your kind words, they are most appreciated! And of course, it's great to hear you were able to verify that it was indeed a keyboard issue and correct it!

It's odd to hear the same keyboard worked just moved to a different USB Port, does that original port work for other USB devices? And did you try putting your keyboard back into the same one, just to see if maybe it was only a bad connection.

No donations needed, but thanks for the thought! You could always stop in and help others sometime when you bored, that would be a great way to give back to the community!

@Lsdmeasap

I can't really explain it. My theory is that there was initially some sort of driver/boot error with my Logitech wireless dongle. This led to inability to boot. I think somewhere in all the rebooting my BIOS settings were affected somehow. It changed my HDD setting from ACHI (sic?) to IDE, which made my SSD boot drive unreadable. So to fix it, I had to do two things: first, I had to re-seat my keyboard dongle. This allowed me to get far enough in the post to get into BIOS (now it failed at Windows load). Then I had to reset my HDD setting to ACHI in the BIOS. Then everything was good.

So, keyboard USB blocked the post, and then some weird BIOS setting change messed up my Windows SSD. I'm not sure which caused which or how these are related.

However I'm still at a complete loss as to why this happened in the first place. The keyboard has never given me trouble of any kind and even now works perfectly. Maybe some kind of power surge? All I know is that everything is working perfectly again.

I don't like it but I've come to accept that there will sometimes never be a good explanation for why electronic items fail in the way that they do...

Ahh ok, sounds like the BIOS was reset via optimized being loaded or the CMOS being cleared, that's why the AHCI/IDE would be reset to defaults. And yes, power surges, instantanious outages, ect can all cause the BIOS to reset or CMOS to clear, that would mess up the SATA setting and at times can also cause connected devices to fail to start until you restart them in device manager or unplug and replug (This happens to be on BSOD with my USB WLAN card)

Yes, electronics can be very tricky at times, especially since they never follow the rules we set for them :)

Thread Information