Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: first bios update on X-58 ud3-r rev.2 ( question)

rclark is offline Member

Default Re: first bios update on X-58 ud3-r rev.2 ( question)

Well here is an update, last night after flashing to my old original bios and setting everything back,it all ran --ok,
    When I tried starting the pc this afternoon, it is doing the shutdown thing again. I am wondering if I messed up the motherboard bios chip somehow or if this is all tied to like a power supply or memory problem during this time that could have just developed (unlikely)
    thanks--rclark

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I doubt you broke the BIOS chip, not even sure that's possible, I think they either work or fail completely, or corrupt but that would be unbootable.

Try latest BIOS again, or not if you think older is better, then load optimized only and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS. Then set your memory speed, timings, and voltage (Or enable XMP and set voltage), set QPI/Vtt, disable Legacy USB Storage in Integrated Peripherals, and set your SATA settings, then leave everything else at stock and run it like that for a few days. This is just to test without an overclock, so you can see if you are stable at stock speeds and settings. If not, then it could be a memory issue, or possibly a driver (Such as new Nvidia one) or program that's causing this, or maybe even the new card itself if this didn't used to happen.

rclark is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I doubt you broke the BIOS chip, not even sure that's possible, I think they either work or fail completely, or corrupt but that would be unbootable.

Try latest BIOS again, or not if you think older is better, then load optimized only and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS. Then set your memory speed, timings, and voltage (Or enable XMP and set voltage), set QPI/Vtt, disable Legacy USB Storage in Integrated Peripherals, and set your SATA settings, then leave everything else at stock and run it like that for a few days. This is just to test without an overclock, so you can see if you are stable at stock speeds and settings. If not, then it could be a memory issue, or possibly a driver (Such as new Nvidia one) or program that's causing this, or maybe even the new card itself if this didn't used to happen.
    Thanks LSdmeasap,
    One thing I'll share that I have done before reading your post here was to try my 3 memory chips one at a time in the 1 and 3 slot to see how the pc boots ( manual says to run one stick in only the 1or 3 slot,couldn't check 5 slot ) . They all work in the number 1 slot but they all fail in the number 3 slot, i.e, the pc will boot to desktop screen and then shutdown shortly afterward. This was done with the pc overclocked to 3.5 ghz. I was running it in optimized mode for a little while earlier today and thought it was doing ok but it ended shutting down around 45 minutes after the reboot ( again this was with no overclock). If I go into the bios and after loading the optimized settings, and then adjust the memory timings manually ( 9,9,9,24, and 1.66 ) and set qpi/vtt to 1.295 it will shut down after booting to desktop.
    Man this is just weird, however thanks so much for the advice.

The slots are labeled DDR3 1, 3, 5 but those are actually 2, 4, 6 physical from the CPU, and are the white slots (Just in case it confused you) You should be able to boot with a single memory stick in any white slot, and run that way as long as you like. If any single slot is causing a failure to boot, then you either have a short somewhere, or bent CPU socket pins.

You might have some bent pins, test a single stick in each white slot one at a time, if it works in 1 or 2 white slots but fails any one slot, then you have a short or bent pins (Or something in that slot such as hair, dust, ect but that's far less likely).

rclark is offline Member

Thanks Lsdmeasap,
    That all makes good sense, and I have found that the #3 white slot is the one that gives the trouble. I am curious of why it has been running for a year and a half without issue and then after the bios update
    start acting up without me doing anything physical to the cpu like reinstalling the cpu and cpu cooler or etc.. I'll take this apart and check some things out regardless to at least rule out bent pins.
    thanks again for the great advice, --rclark--

Since it is a single slot, then what I said above likely applies. The reason you may not have noticed before was that older BIOSes didn't try to correct missing memory, and the new BIOSes automatically try to shut down and reboot until all memory shows up as usable, when this happens you normally see a "recovering lost memory" message on reboot while it tries to fix it.

On the old BIOS, the only way you would know a memory channel was failing was to actually notice it in the BIOS by looking at the info page that we rarely look into, or it would also have been visible in windows if it caught you eye. In windows you would have been able to tell in system properties, it would say 6GB total (4GB usable) - something along those lines, like you were on 32 bit system or something. And in task manager performance tab you'd see the same, if it caught your eye, 6144MB total, but only see 4096 usable. Sometimes users notice this, and sometimes they don't for a long time, so it's hard to say if you were affected previously or if this is something new, unless you have some old pics of task manager performance tab open, or system properties.

If you are unsure about bent pins, please take some high res images of your CPU socket in a well lit room, without flash, from several angles and post them here. Also, don't zoom in too much, that often makes image blurry, we need to see the tips of the pins and normally if the camera takes good high res images you don't have to zoom in because zooming in on the actual picture instead will be fine and it wont get blurred. So if you are unsure, post up some pics for us to look at and we'll let you know.

rclark is offline Member

Thanks Lsdmeasap,
    I took all components out and finished putting everything back together, I used a couple of pair of reading glasses as sort of "jeweler glasses" and used some good lighting and did not see anything resembling a bent cpu pin, they all look the same--no irregularities at all.
    I am finding that if I enable xmp ( running the ram at 1600 ) I will tend to get the power off after booting up, if I leave the memory at 1066 it appears to run stable--weird I am torn on trying some new memory just to eliminate this possibility,( maybe some inexpensive (2x4gb,1600 DDR3) to see what happens. Hard to believe memory could mess up at this exact moment but I reckon this is a process of elimination. The board is still under warranty and I think I may just end up sending it in soon, maybe they will replace the bios chip.
    well I better get some shut eye, again thank-you for all the help --rclark

So, no pics? Bummer, I often hear no bent pins and then when images are posted I find a few, so if you want to be 100% sure you should post some pics.

So, does it act OK if you leave XMP disable but set the memory up yourself manually to 1600? Ya, 2x4GB kits are REALLY cheap these days, so if you want to try that out it may solve your current booting issues, but you'll still have lingering thoughts of that third slot having an unknown issue. You could also probably resolve it by just using 2x2GB of your current memory, since that third slot fails to detect, unless there is some slight incompatibility or something like that going on.

If you do send in the board, be sure you mention that slot fails to detect memory!!

rclark is offline Member

Yeah Lsdmeasap, I am afraid we don't have any good camera that can take such a good close up shot. Sorry about that ! As they say a picture paints a thousand words and I think I have gone a bit over a thousand so a picture is most needed--ha !!!!
    Again, great advice, I will keep you posted as this saga continues--good grief !!! Oh, here is something that should be easy to answer, if indeed I am able to return my board and they end up not sending my own repaired board back but another board of the exact model--can I just install this without reloading windows and all, will the hard drive recognize it as the same or can this be problematic without a complete reinstall ?
    take care--rclark

Close up shot is not needed, and actually it looks better if you are at least 2-3 feet away. The size and megapixel of the camera is what matters, and any recently bought camera should be fine as long as it's not a cell phone (Which some of those are also good too). But ya that's why I said not to zoom in, often people zoom in too far or get really close to the socket, then the pins are blurry or the pic looks terrible, so they think the camera isn't good enough when really they were just too close or zooming in too far. If your camera has a Macro setting (usually a little flower), and a camera bought in the last 5-10 years you should be able to get a perfectly fine image.

Yes, if you end up getting a new board instead of your original board back, then you can just reconnect your hard drive to the same port and you'll be all set! You will need to set the BIOS the same though,but I'm sure you knew that, and I just mean same LANs enabled or disabled, and same SATA settings.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information