Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Begin to update backup BIOS" Loop on startup

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: "Begin to update backup BIOS" Loop on startup

Press F12 at post and choose USB drive from boot drives menu when it comes up, or choose + HArd Disk and select the USB there.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOrange View Post
    Here is a Picture of my system info when I hit F9 : imgur: the simple image sharer

Someone suggested using a program called Killdisk, just in case it is a virus. Thoughts about trying that?

Thanks agian everyone.
    Ya, some BIOSes don't show the backup version :(

Killdisk will just zero out your hard drive, and if you are not sure how to start a windows install from a RAW disk you might get into a fight with your hard drive :)

What hard drive are you using anyway, if it's an SSD what firmware version do you have installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya, some BIOSes don't show the backup version :(

Killdisk will just zero out your hard drive, and if you are not sure how to start a windows install from a RAW disk you might get into a fight with your hard drive :)

What hard drive are you using anyway, if it's an SSD what firmware version do you have installed?
    I have a hard drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB

Last night I got my computer running for all night and the next day without it auto shutting down (didn't turn it off over night). Then restarted to see if it would still present the problem, and It's still in the same condition. But now it hasn't booted once, might have to try the trick of taking the battery out and then shorting the pins on CLR_CMOS. Would it be possible I got a bad board and could just RMA it? I have tried everything except the killdisk, could that solve the problem? Might have to send it to NCIX or try a computer shop locally, kind of short on dough though since I sunk alot of money into this computer.

Killdisk isn't going to help anything, all that is for is to zero out a drive to remove all your data like if you are selling a drive, or wanting to do a clean install and you do it just because. Sure it can remove a virus, but viruses that need something like that are few and far between, and you'd know if you had a virus like that it would be doing far more than just rebooting the computer.

You can RMA the board anytime with Gigabyte, or if you bought it at NCIX you should probably email them and ask for an exchange on the board and memory due to either incompatibility or faulty board. I'd exchange both at the same time if they will let you, and maybe even choose a different set of memory if they'll allow it.

Have you asked at the patriot forums if they can say for sure that memory kit is compatible with this board? If you haven't, you should ask them and see what they say just to be sure in case they might be aware of some issue.
    Patriot Memory Support Forums

I'd exchange the board for sure! Does this also happen with only 1 x 4GB module installed? If so, can you test with another 2GB module from any other systems in your house, that way you can possibly find out if it's the 8GB patriot causing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I'd exchange the board for sure! Does this also happen with only 1 x 4GB module installed? If so, can you test with another 2GB module from any other systems in your house, that way you can possibly find out if it's the 8GB patriot causing the issue.
    I emailed NXIC and they said they would check out my computer for free since I still have my 1 year warranty on it, so I'll be shipping it today or tomorrow.
    I'll ask them what they found after they finish fixing it and report back to you guys! Thanks everyone for their help.

Thanks agian.

Great to hear, hopefully they can either narrow down the issue for you or just replace it with all new!!

Keep us posted, thanks! And I wish you a quick resolution from them too!

I am having the same issue as the gentleman who posted this originally,
    I recently purchased a CYBERPOWER PC, and it has been running very well for about 2 months.
    I recently turned windows update on, which revealed about 60 updates that I had missed in the 2 months prior.

After restarting my PC, the motherboard screen flashed and then the system specs screen, followed by a screen stating:
    Begin to update backup BIOS to latest version, writing BIOS image...........
    It gets through about 4 lines of elipses and then the input from the computer stops( "DVI, No signal" is displayed) and then it loops right back through the order again.
    Whenever I try and start the PC now I get
    1. MOBO screen
    2. Very quick flash of the sytem specs and options(too quick to act on any of the options in fact)
    3. Bios image writing screen
    4. Blank screen
    Rinse and Repeat.

My MOBO is a GA-970A-D3
    I have yet to overclock anything or mess with my settings in a manner conducive with any kind of sporadic behavior.
    My **** is new, I wish it worked.
    Any input is appreciated before I RMA this thing.
    I also wouldn't mind any advice on whether I should contact GIGABYTE or just call CYBERPOWER straight up, as they are the ones that I have a warranty with.
    Last edited by Rallick; 02-07-2012 at 11:18 AM.

It may be best for you to RMA with Cyberpower, because if you remove the board and RMA with Gigabyte that might void your Cyberpower warranty. Or you could phone and ask them if it would, then decide.

I could show you how to possibly recover, but it involves shorting some tiny pins on the board with a tool in your hand while powering on the system. It's easy to do, if you are up for it let me know and I'll link you to the info so you can attempt it. It will only work if your backup BIOS is not already corrupted, but it won't cause anymore damage, it will just allow you to boot from the backup BIOS so that you could reflash the MAIN BIOS and eventually reflash the backup on purpose as well.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-07-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Absolutely, feel free to shoot me that link, I'd appreciate it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information