Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU Microcode?

Default CPU Microcode?

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to update the CPU Microcode of a Gigabyte BIOS? (G1.Sniper in particular)

Thanks!

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: CPU Microcode?

it is possible. Why do you need to? That board should work with just about all 1366 cpus.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

And it likely already is using the latest aside from a possible internal testing code floating around somewhere.

As mentioned above, why did you ask?

Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

Well I'd like to make sure it's using the latest Microcode, because I think the one it's using now is either incompatible or outdated.

Why?

Well because I have some very special problems; like I cannot run an application in a single thread (single core e.g. CPU 0) without having the application performing poorly, and situations where disabling Hyper-Threading makes the CPU to 'spike' in 3D applications.

While if an application can run in a single thread, it should run better in a single thread instead of multiple. Also 3D applications usually perform slightly better (depends) with hyper-threading off, so much for spiking.

Although the above might seem to you like an OS or an OC issue or some other hardware related issue, I can assure you it is not. The same components are behaving like this only in this motherboard, while these issues are non-existent for example in motherboards like the EVGA E770 and the ASUS P6T7 SC.

I can elaborate on the matter if you are curious and want me to describe what I am experiencing, but after extensive tests I cannot think of anything else than the Microcode being the problem - because I remember the E770 had a 'similar' behavior AFTER a Microcode update.

So the one used is either the latest one, as you properly stated (but is simply not working right for me), or is an outdated one.

Got time to help me or have a magical way to resolve this? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Ahh OK, I was thinking you asked because you were wondering about using an unsupported CPU or something like that.

You can message Gigabyte directly, and explain, and see if they will give you a beta BIOS with an updated microcode (If they have one, Intel may not pass them out frequently). I can extract the current one if you like and tell you the date of the file, if you'd like to know this before you message them, if so let me know.

GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

Chike is offline Senior Member

The microcode doesn't have to be updated in BIOS. It can and is updated by the OS.
    You can try and install the latest update from Microsoft.

And here is the latest microcode I can find, I didn't know these were available publicly until now. So you can pass this along in your message if you want
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...inux*&lang=eng

Chike, the newer ones are packaged into award BIOSes, in the NCPUCODE.BIN file, old ones are in cpucode.bin. It's part of the BIOS for sure, but windows does utilize/load the coding, from the BIOS though.

The latest microcode update in your F4E BIOS is dated 11/03/2011, so it's fairly up to date
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-02-2012 at 10:58 PM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

The Intel link is for "Linux* Processor Microcode Data File".

A quick search turned up A microcode reliability update is available that improves the reliability of systems that use Intel processors for XP through Vista systems.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

@ Lsdmeasap

Thanks for taking your time with this, I use the F4E BIOS version for G1.Sniper 1 - found here: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - G1.Sniper (rev. 1.0)

If you can tell me the method you will use to identify the version (maybe even how to integrate it), I will be happy to do it myself so you will not be annoyed further with the matter.

Also, the version you've sent me refers to a "Linux" version, but I forgot to mention I use Windows, is it the same for the MS OS?

In addition, if the method to integrade it is 'standard' like for updating Intel's OROM, I already have some knowledge on how to do it, thanks to Acebmxer!

@ chike

Thanks for your input on the matter, but I am not aware of the technique used to update the Microcode via the OS, in fact I cannot even understand how's that possible, can you elaborate on this?

@ profJim

Thanks for the link, I will investigate further - hopefully I will found a similar link in Intel's website, any further suggestions are welcome.

Thanks guys!

No problem Fabulist! And so you know, I'm not annoyed at all to help with this, it's what I do and I'm always happy to help!

F4E is the BIOS I checked, so it's the same you are using. I cannot tell you the method I use to check the date of the microcodes, I'm sorry but it's not something I can share for a few reasons. I can tell you it's not something that can be easily updated, and it no where near as simple as updating the OROM's. The method of checking dates of included microcodes is not the same as exchanging them either, updating the microcode is way more involved and is not something I can do either or I would have done it for you while I checked the dates of the Microcodes. I'm very sorry, I've tried my best to learn how to do that several times and I honestly can't grasp it due to the way award now uses cpucode and ncpucode to insert the newer larger microcodes.

If you would like to know how it's done, you can find more info at rebelshavenforum.com, BIOS-mods.com, wimsBIOS.com but trust me this is not a simple task AT ALL. Extracting the two microcodes is easy, but editing them and reinsertion is the complicated task, and one I've never been able to tackle, it can be done though with hex editing and some special tools, but you have to risk the bricked board once you are done too, so that makes it even more daunting.

Linux coding is the only format the microcodes come in (It's just a zip file, you can unzip if you like and the text with codes is legible in .dat format with notepad), so that is what is used and why I linked you to that, so you could pass along the link of the latest version to Gigabyte support when you sent them an email asking for a special updated BIOS (Less work for them to hunt it down). Updating the code via the OS cannot be done, although through the OS is how it is used, but windows reads and uses the microcode information automagically from the BIOS.

Here is an image of the internal date codes of the current included microcodes, just so you can see the dates. This includes the old 2kb cpucode, latest is 2008, after that they used larger file sizes which is the ncpucode, and that is where the difficulty lies (Extracting this, editing in which codes you need to insert after picking which you want/need from the 1000's included in the Intel package, then reinserting this). It used to be simple, many years ago in the cpucode days, but the introduction of the larger sized ncpucode is what makes it tough nowadays.

Ask Gigabyte support to pass your request along to the BIOS engineers, and request a special updated BIOS from them. If they have the free time they will more than likely do it for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information