Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding RAM and Voltage Help

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Adding RAM and Voltage Help

Are those MemSet timings with Performance Enhamce Standard or Turbo?

The memory is PC2-6400 standard, to run aa PC2-8500(533 MHz, DDR-1066) it must have a higher voltage. This is made for for compatibility with systems that do not support memory overclocking.
    All DDR2 memory over DDR-800 ate like this and it's normal.
    Last edited by Chike; 02-14-2012 at 05:49 AM.

No worries with the confusion. My computer is working with the recommended settings. I still get some warning messages for some of the voltage settings. It's because the computer sees the RAM as a different type, right?

MetSet timings were taken with the standard setting, not the turbo. Not sure what turbo does because none of the other settings in the BIOS change when switching from the two.

Thanks for all the help and information. You all have been very helpful.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That depends on the warning, do you just mean a pink or red warning on the right side of the screen while you adjust or hover a voltage setting? If so that may be normal, depending on what you have set and what the warning says.

Post a pic of this warning so we can be sure.

The timings are a bit off the, Se standard timings to 5-5-5-15 and Static tRead Value 6 or 5 if possible, try with a click or two more MCH OverVoltage if it does not work at first.
    Turbo usually lower Static tRead Value but increase tRCD tRP and tRAS, that is why I wondered why timings are 5-7-7-20 and not 5-5-5-15,
    The board and memory should be capable to do better with lower timgs and Static tRead set manually.

Attached is a picture of the warnings. The "System Voltage NOT Optimized!!" blinks. It is caused by changing the System Memory Multiplier to anything other than auto. The DDR2 overvoltage is pink (it is normal if set to 0.25). The warning on the side is always there no matter what setting; so it's probably a standard warning.

That MetSet reading was before I made the suggested changes to the voltage. Because of the earlier hiccup, I set it back to what was working at the time. That way I could get the readings that you asked for. Here are the new timings:

MetSet Timings:
    CAS# Latency (CL)................ 5
    RAS# to CAS# Read Delay ...... 5
    RAS# to CAS# Write Delay...... 5
    RAS# Precharged (tRP) .......... 5
    Precharged Delay (tRAS) ........ 15

All Precharged to Activate ......... 6
    Refresh Cycle Time ................... 72
    Performance Level .................... 8
    Write to Precharge Delayed ........ 16
    Write to Read Delayed (tWTR)...... 12
    Act to act Delayed (tRRD) .......... 4
    Read to Write Delay (tRD_WR) ..... 8
    Read to Precharge (tRTP)............ 6
    All Precharge to Refresh delay ...... 6 (grayed out)
    Refresh Period (tREF)................. 4157
    Command Rate (CR) .................. 2T

Better? The picture corresponds to the MetSet timing readings. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images Adding RAM and Voltage Help-img_0318copy-jpg 
    Last edited by zebniko; 02-16-2012 at 07:35 AM.

I don't think you need +0.275 MCH OverVoltage, see if you can set it lowr (+0.1 or less).
    You should be able to set tRD(Static tRead Value, in BIOS, Perfomance Level in MemSet) to 6 or even 5 (loser value for better performance).
    If +0.25 DDR2 OverVoltage works than use that, see what you get in BIOS HW Monitor, it was 2.13 when set normal(+0.3 by auto SPD)

You are correct, those are standard warnings that are always there when users manually adjust voltage, just so no one goes crazy without being warned :)

I set the MCH OverVoltage to +0.1V, and the DDR2 OverVoltage to +0.25V. My computer is running with the current settings. The Static tRead Value is on auto of 6 in the BIOS, but the MetSet program sees it as 8 (performance enhanced value). I tried to change the value in MetSet, applied and saved, and rebooted; but the MetSet program keeps reading a value of 8. Should I manually set it to 6 in the BIOS or leave it alone?

Picture might help as some other values are different than what the MetSet program sees:
    Attached Images Attached Images Adding RAM and Voltage Help-img_0320copy-jpg 

I have another question: Is it okay that the 'Memory Frequency (MHz)' values are different in the BIOS? They were both the same 1066 before. See picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images Adding RAM and Voltage Help-img_0322copy-jpg 

Right side of the BIOS is the only thing you need to look at, the left is rarely correct, and no it does not matter about the right/left memory speed (Right is all that matters)

You may or may not be able to boot tRD of 6, but set 8 manually, then try 7, then 6 and you'll find out if you can boot it or not (May need more MCH voltage for 6). As for Memset, don't use save button, only apply button for testing, then if the setting you try works go manually set it in the BIOS. Also be sure to see this for BIOS Vs. Memset timings
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...t-vs-bios.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information