Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flashing backup BIOS

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Angry Re: Flashing backup BIOS

Quote Originally Posted by boondocks View Post
    Julian, if you're getting the white boot menu then the BIOS is not being copied to backup. Read this thread to see how these guys helped me. In my case the MOBO wasn't seeing my wireless KB in time to perform the Alt + F12 action and I had to use a plugin KB.
    Good luck.
    I didn't see the link ... so I continued to debug myself the issue myself ...

I was also a victim of the BootLoop (Boot Loop) problem and I RMAed the board. The new board is in the system and it is working.

I flashed the BIOS to F12 using QFlash and a USB stick on my GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 V1.3.

I was not able to flash the backup BIOS to F12. I tried:

1. Pressing ALT+F12
    2. All through the bootup
    3. For multiple power up cycles each time
    4. For each of the following keyboards:
      1. KVM USB keyboard
      2. Microsoft PS-2 keyboard (with the KVM USB keyboard connected)
      3. Chicony USB keyboard (with the KVM USB keyboard and the Microsoft PS-2 keyboard connected)
      4. Chicony USB keyboard (with the Microsoft PS-2 keyboard connected)

I always got the Boot Menu (not the backup BIOS menu) …

So as a last ditch attempt ('cause I am not a happy camper burning all this time debugging a "simple" issue for Gigabyte) ....

I disconnected all keyboards except the Microsoft PS-2 Keyboard. Then ... after I pressed the Power On switch, I held the left ALT key down, and continued to press the F12 key about three-times per second ... and lo and behold ... the backup BIOS text appeared. I was able to flash the backup BIOS!

My guess is that the multiple keyboards were confusing the BIOS ... so reducing to a single keyboard resolved the problem

Now if I could just tell how to check the backup BIOS version ... any help would be appreciated. pressing F9 in the BIOS shows the F12 revision ...
    Last edited by Aussie_Z; 03-16-2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Include more technical data

Default Re: Flashing backup BIOS

Sometimes using Right ALT key instead of left also helps, or the other way around if you've been using Right.

But ya, when you were using multiple KB's that may have been confusing it! Great to hear you finally got it done though!

If F12 was the current MAIN BIOS when you flashed the backup, then you know the backup is now F12 too, no need to worry about what it is when you manually flash it as you already know. Only some boards BIOSes show both

Talking Re: Flashing backup BIOS

Thanks for commenting ...

Yes ... I wasn't clear when I indicated that when I tried “multiple times” with each keyboard setup … that I also alternate ALT keys ... with no joy ...

So my main drift was to publish another solution that if you (like me) just plugged in additional keyboards and it didn’t work … you might like to try going back to a single PS-2 keyboard.

As for showing the F12 Backup BIOS version ... I understand that is the only option if F12 was the flashed BIOS ... and I did get feedback from the system that the Backup BIOS flashed ... but to play "devil’s advocate" ... and go on a "system design" rant ... (i.e., my solution is listed above ... the following text does not help with the ALT+F12 problem)

We could assume that the feedback was adequate (with no future feedback). However if that was the assumption ... then why show F12 as the main BIOS version? I know what I flashed – why list what I already know in the system information?

The answer might be clearer if we consider next week/month/year (or on someone else’s system). Where would I find the version of the BIOS/Backup BIOS if it wasn’t listed? For the BIOS we can review the BIOS screens and press F9 for system information. It would seem like a good idea to publish the Backup BIOS’s version using F9 as well. That way, we would know what the condition of the system is. So overall my suggestion to Gigabyte is that if you introduce a good/new technology, then perhaps introduce some easier ways to use it (because you and I know that the majority of persons owning these boards will not be flashing the backup BIOS).

This issue is especially important to me … as I read that Gigabyte has posited that having a different BIOS/Backup BIOS may be the cause of the “boot loop” problem … that I wasted days debugging. So apparently it is very important to know what you have flashed … but not important enough for Gigabyte to make it easy (e.g., a Qflash option to blow the BIOS or the Backup BIOS).

I know the manual states “… For the sake of system safety, users cannot update the backup BIOS manually. …” Really? Why? We have to update it manually!!!! What is really meant here is “… flashing the Backup BIOS has been made unnecessarily difficult”. My point being proven in that we, the users, need to develop forums like this (and YouTube videos) to reverse engineer Gigabyte’s (poor) design.

So from a system design point of view, it looks like Gigabyte introduced a new technology by “hacking” it into the system (i.e., ALT+F12) … as opposed to integrating it as part of an overall design (e.g., Qflash option) – that’s what I don’t like.

Exclamation Re: Flashing backup BIOS - F9 shows what?

To the responder who suggested that F9 shows the Backup BIOS date (sorry, lost the post) ... thanks ... I rechecked and unfortunately I don't think so. I have attached an F9 image for reference. The BIOS date relates to the BIOS version. So no joy (at least not on my board).

Flashing backup BIOS-img00009-jpg

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Hmmm. OK, I wasn't sure, when I saw the date on mine it seemed to jive with the date I flashed the backup BIOS.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

I hear ya! As of now only certain board models BIOSes show both, it would be nice it they would make it so all models always show both!

I'll mention this next time I talk to them, and ask why they don't do that already! I'll let you know if I hear anything back!

They only showed that secret method because some users were having issues with P67, which updating both to match often corrected, but the key combination has always been there it's not a new hack or anything like that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information