Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some help

Default Re: Need some help

Yeah its a old chipset, but a good one. Im getting the Gigabyte 965p-ds3 rev 3.3, and a core 2 duo e8400 for a good price, i read several reviews on the board and its a monster overclocker. I know x38, x48, p45 are better , but there also more money, and being on a low budged build this should work for now. Im on a old old p4 2.4, so this is a huge upgrade, just cant afford the good stuff right now. I will be back and hopefully you can help me overclock it, thanks.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What is the price you are getting the board and CPU for? CPU should be 75-90 or so, if you get it for less that's a great deal. And I'd say maybe 35-45 for that board, it's very old man, for real!

Any reviews you see are old news too, yes it WAS a good overclocker, a LONG time ago. P35 was way better, and then of course P45 smashed that once it came out. You are right though, newer does cost more, but if I were you I would at least try to find P35 board instead of 965. I know you're on a budget, so please don't think I'm trying to bash your budget or anything, just trying to help you find a good board that isn't so old, but I know what you mean and if that's all you can afford and still be able to get everything you need then that should hold you off until you can get something newer.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Note that the P965 chipset only support 266MHz FSB, and as such it is overclocked for E8400 (Non official support as stated in CPU support list).
    If you get E7500 or E7600 you amy be able to overclock them higher, 3.66GHz/3.83GHz respectively at 333MHz FSB.

Even more reason to try and find a cheap P35 at least, thanks for the quick thinking Chike (I Forgot all about the FSB limitations)!

Well i saw they can OC to 400MHz so maybe not that big problem

Ya, I guess it all depends on his cooler and what overclock he's reaching for, but it would be nice for him if he could find a newer chipset.

I know how shopping on a budget is though, it sucks and I have to do it myself all the time, so I feel for him and understand where he's coming from! If I still had any P35's around I'd sell to him for super cheap or free, but I don't even have any DDR2 boards in the house at all anymore.

How about new AMD A4-3300 or A4-3400 for a budget CPU?
    D you have the memory needed for the p965 or do you need to buy it too?

Well the reviews i read on the gigabyte 965p-ds3 it can reach 470 fsb overclock stable. I been looking for a p45 p35 on ebay, heres the problem, all the good p35 p45 that are good overclockers are as much as some of todays boards, p45 ud3p great overclocking board, maybe one of the best boards gigabyte ever made, cant touch it for under $100, p35s the good ones dq, still high. Trust me if i have a $500 budget i would get a current amd fx6100 and a good 890fxa board. I have to buy memory, power supply, hard drive, cpu cooler, video card,cpu, motherboard, thats hard to do on $275

I got a ati radeon 4670 1gb card, Ocz 500watt power supply, Cooler Master TX3 cpu cooler, 2 gigs of crucial ballistix ddr 2 800 cl4, western digital 160gb raptor hard drive. I can get the gigabyte 965p-ds3 rev 3.3 for $50 with all cables, I/0 shield, not a bad deal i think. I may get a lower core 2 duo and overclock it like you said. The e8400 is on the cpu support list on gigabytes site for that board, so the board will have to overclock to get the 1333 fsb ?, im a little confused ?

I did find a e7400 core 2 duo on ebay 1066 fsb for$60 used, runs at 2.93, so i could push that baby up 3.2, 3.4 ghz and be good.
    Last edited by califmike2003; 02-22-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Neweg has deals on FM1 boards and A4-3400, and you don't have to buy a video card.
    Not the best video but you can later buy a better card and run it CrossFireX with the built-in video.
    You can have a complete combo for 240$, and many motherboard combos. That's for a new board and CPU with warrenty end everything.
    Check all the offers: Newegg.com - AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6410D AD3400OJGXBOX

E7400 runs 2.8GHz, E7500 runs 2.93GHz, they have 10.5 and 11 max CPU multiplier so can overclock higher with lower FSB, the so at 333MHz FSB they can do 3.5/3.66GHz, but for that you will need an aftermarket cooler.

I need a good video card, im not really after gaming, but i like watching 1080p hd videos streamed, netflix, youtube, so i have to have a good video card, the onboard video on that Amd board is probally going to be choppy at best. I already have the memory, ps, video card, aftermarket cpu cooler, raptor hard drive, so i just need board and cpu. Im going to go with the gigabyte 965p for now, and the e7400 or e7500 and have some overclocking fun and watch hd videos. Maybe in the future i can get what i really want, when your going from a p4 2.4 and 333 ram, anything is a big improvment. Thanks for all the input, i will be back for some overclock help for sure.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information