Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-MA790FX-DS5 oh dear

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-MA790FX-DS5 oh dear

I don't see a reason why not

I was going to upgrade cpu cooler but am not sure what will fit Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro CO CPU Cooler [AC-FRZER-13-CO] - $55.00 : PC Case Gear looks good but may be to high to fit in my case. I have to get out the measurin stick

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hsp25 View Post
    I think i see the problem. A couple of the memory slot pins have gotten out of the plastic (on board) I don't guess that will be covered by warranty?
    What do you mean by this? Show us some pics of what you mean please, thanks. Overclocking, or failed overclock wont kill a ram slot, unless you possibly fried something in the CPU but you'd have to use obscene voltages to do that and I doubt that's what you did, right? A short could cause this, you may want to try running the board on a wooden table or cardboard box, OFF the motherboard tray, and see if you still have the issue. You maybe should also use the Stock AMD heatsink for this test too if you have it, in case the cooler you are using now is shorting something on the PCB.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hsp25 View Post
    I was going to upgrade cpu cooler but am not sure what will fit Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro CO CPU Cooler [AC-FRZER-13-CO] - $55.00 : PC Case Gear looks good but may be to high to fit in my case. I have to get out the measurin stick
    It may look good but cost too much for doing very little. Looks only matters in beauty contests.
    There are much cheaper and better coolers, what case do you have (exact brand model, link to manufacturer site if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Overclocking, or failed overclock wont kill a ram slot
    Just a mechanical damage I belive as result of pulling the stick out.

That shouldn't be possible, that's why I asked to see an image, in case it's normal and just looks odd to you.

Yes it is a mechanical problem with several pins in the slot. It's very small but i'll see if i can get a pic

My case is Untitled Document

I believe you, but a pic to confirm would be nice to see. I've stuffed paper towels, cut up cloth shop towels, and toothpicks into memory slots, and pulled them out just fine.

So I just don't see how any damage could happen to a memory slot accidentally by pulling out memory. I do believe you though, it's just surprising to hear

Here ya go. It may have happened when I first put the stick in but I cant see how it worked until overclocking and as you say. It really should not have happened either way
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-MA790FX-DS5 oh dear-faulty-ram-slot-pic-1-jpg 
    Last edited by hsp25; 02-18-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: extra added

Ouch! Ya, that shouldn't happen due to uninstalling memory, sorry to see!

Can you bend it back with a needle?

There was 3 like that.I have tried to bend them back. Two seem to go back but this one was unsuccessful I might have one last go when my new ram turns up. Until then i am stuck with 5gb. 2x2gb and 1x1gb

I contacted the seller. Apparently they get RMA boards from gigabyte and resell them but was told this was a new board, even though it was sold as "seller refurbished". The serial number on the board does not match the one on the box. The seller said that would be the way to confirm if it was new or an RMA. If the numbers match, it is new. They told me that I need to send them the board and the ram I wish to use, to them and they will try to bend it back, fit the ram, then test it. If it doesn't work, to bad. They would send it back to me unfixed. They told me that gigabyte would not except or fix it because it is mechanical/physical damage.

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me. Does it sound like accurate information?
    Last edited by hsp25; 02-20-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: update serial number info

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information