Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-MA790FX-DS5 oh dear

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA790FX-DS5 oh dear

Me too, I'm about 45 minutes from town so I always have the post office pickup packages.

Can you see that buyers name? If not, give me the sellers name and I'll see if I can find the buyers name for you, then you can message him and ask about that situation.

Long thread this one. Can you explain something to me. You had the board working fine and then you say it died after an OC. You noticed that pins are damaged. I'm a bit confused, if board worked the first time with the damaged pins why would it not work now :s

If the damage definitely did not happen on your side (and only way to damage a board like that would have to have happened with someone sticking something in the ram slots other than RAM and pulling them out, hard to tell from that shot though), then you need to get your money back from this seller IMO. He misrepresented what he was selling it seems as a serial number should match the box. If he was selling you a refurb board on pretense that it was new, you have a case for a refund. There is no way a brand new board would have damaged DIMM slots like that as well, they are all 100% hand tested and inspected in the factory.

If you think it's a headache, I can put you in touch with the service manager direct. I cannot guarantee he will accept RMA as it seems you bought a refurb board first of all and secondly it has physical damage. I can try anyway :).

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    Long thread this one. Can you explain something to me. You had the board working fine and then you say it died after an OC. You noticed that pins are damaged. I'm a bit confused, if board worked the first time with the damaged pins why would it not work now :s

If the damage definitely did not happen on your side (and only way to damage a board like that would have to have happened with someone sticking something in the ram slots other than RAM and pulling them out, hard to tell from that shot though), then you need to get your money back from this seller IMO. He misrepresented what he was selling it seems as a serial number should match the box. If he was selling you a refurb board on pretense that it was new, you have a case for a refund. There is no way a brand new board would have damaged DIMM slots like that as well, they are all 100% hand tested and inspected in the factory.

If you think it's a headache, I can put you in touch with the service manager direct. I cannot guarantee he will accept RMA as it seems you bought a refurb board first of all and secondly it has physical damage. I can try anyway :).
    Firstly, thanks for reading through. I know the thread is long and probably the last 3 pages are not even about the board specifically.
    Just as a short recap. I put the pc together with 4 ram dimm and 2 gpu. It ran fine for a couple of days so I decided to try to get a little more out of it. I overclocked it and on the first attempt I got a boot loop (no screen at all). I pulled the board battery for 10 min but that didn't work. I pulled out one gpu,3 sticks of ram and battery again for 30 min. That worked. I put all ram back in and boot loop was back. I pulled all ram and systematically checked each stick in slot 1. All booted fine. Eventually I discovered what you see in the picture i posted earlier. I contacted the seller

To be honest, I am as confused as you are as to why it worked to start with or even how the pins got that way. As we both know, ram is a plug n play item and i can't understand or see why you would stick anything else in the slot. Unfortunately I cant see the seller refunding 1 cent and I cant see them fixing it either but it has been returned to them for the moment.

The board is out of warranty by Check Warranty Status so I doubt gigabyte would help me there anyway. I'm starting to wonder if it is possible for gigabyte to take out the old ram dimm/slot and replace it? How much do you think that may cost (ballpark figure?) I do understand it may actually be cheaper to buy a new board (board would cost about $240)

I'll PM you my email address to email me about this and let's see what service manager says

Just an update for you guys. Service manager has looked into this and the board does not fall under warranty any more unfortunately. It can be fixed, replacement of DIMM slots would cost $88 + shipping back and forth.

Thanks again for checking into this Dino! Sorry to hear RMA is not possible, but at least you guys have offered a fix, that's more than other companies would offer!

If it was me, at that price, I'd have to just use the current board damaged and put that $88 towards a 990FX instead as it would be a better investment.

Yeah i'd do the same unless he really needs the RAM capacity

Ya, that or maybe a used 990FX or 890FX, either one would be better than investing that much into this older board really.

Thanks for being able to offer repair though, that's awesome, most other companies likely wouldn't even consider it outside of a products warranty period.

As usual, gigabyte is always happy to come to the party. Thanks for that

As you both said, would be better to go for a newer version board than invest that much on this one. Just have to see what the seller has to say. I expect it will be sent back as is.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information