Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESXi DirectPath I/O on 970A-UD3

Default Re: ESXi DirectPath I/O on 970A-UD3

Quote Originally Posted by cortexbomb View Post
    Oh, I have network access. I just want to be able to pass some of my PCI devices directly into a VM, which requires DirectPath I/O. Based on my research others have had success with this motherboard and DirectPath I/O. The difference is that they've all used Phenom II processors whereas I have an Athlon II. Based on AMD's specifications, both processors have the AMD-V support needed but I suppose the issue could be that the BIOS supports DirectPath I/O (IOMMU) with Phenom chips and not Athlon for some reason.
    Did you ever get this resolved? I am trying to set up an ESXi server on this same board, and, like you, have read about success stories, and am having absolutely no luck.

What hardware are you running/
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    What hardware are you running/
    I'm running a GA-970A-UD3 with a Phenom II X4 965. 16GB of slowish non-ECC DDR3.

and a silly question, you do have virtualization enabled in the bios right? That is a requirement isn't it.

I'm up to snuff on VM's and getting them working but I don't fully understand what ESXi is really for... everything I find is full of fluff and not at all straight forward.

but he rig my sig I'm running a VM Windows Server 2011 with an older board and CPU... same amount of RAM... it works fine... don't know if it's related.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win8.1
    CPU = i7-980X @ 4.17Ghz 144x29 cooled by custom Loop
    Mem = 12GB 2000Mhz corsair Dominator GT at 2010Mhz @ 9-10-9-27-2T
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios - Dead Board
    MB = EVGA X58 Classified3 e770
    GPU = 2x Sapphire r9 290x in xfire
    HD = 2x Toshiba 120GB Raid 0 (580MB Read/140MB Write)
    Storage = 2TB WD Black
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2011 Virtual Machine with 8GB ram assigned for homer server with exchange
    CPU = AMD 1090T
    Mem = 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston RED Limited Edition running at 1600Mhz
    MB = Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
    GPU- EVGA GT210
    HD = too many to count, but about 5TB of storage all together including backup
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Too embarrassed to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Piper View Post
    I'm running a GA-970A-UD3 with a Phenom II X4 965. 16GB of slowish non-ECC DDR3.
    Not sure what Virtulization technology you use.

This is my configuration and how I got it to work.

Mother Board GA-970A-UD3
    Processor - AMD FX 8350
    1 Video card
    1 nic card integrated on the motherboard
    2 pci express nic cards that are VLan capable
    (This is my HOST machine that runs two VMs)

Host - VMWare ESXi 5.1 (VM Ware Hypervisor free edition )
    Guest 1 - Windows Server 2012 Essentials - Direct I/O to 1 of the available PCI NIC card
    Guest 2 - Windows 8 - Direct I/O to 1 of the available PCI NIC card

I have vSphere Client installed on another Windows 8 standalone desktop to manage my Host and VMs.

Initially when I installed ESXi on my Host machine i forgot to enable IOMMU controller in BIOS / Pheripherls section. So I enabled it and rebooted the machine, thinking all will be resolved and DirectPathI/O will be available, but it still said it was not supported by the hardware.

So this is what I did and worked for me.
    Reboot the machine
    Hit Del to enter bios
    Load optimized defaults(on the right hand corner of the main bios screen it should show the function key for this)
    Confirm that SVM(by default this is enabled) under Advance CPU features is enabled.
    Enabled IOMMU controller

Re installed a fresh copy of ESXi 5.1 - this i believe loaded the necessary drivers for DirectPath I/O.
    Now in the VSphere Client when I connect to my above mentiond Host (VSXi 5.1) the summary shows as DirectPath I/O supported.

On VSphere Client -
    Now to set your NICs to be direct I/O go to Configuration/ Advanced Settings - Add passthrouh device.
    (Make sure that you dont add your NIC that is used by your HOST machine to connect to the network as passthrough. If you do so you wont be able to access the HOST over network and it will take a lot of effort to set it back)
    Once you added the NICs for passthrough(DirectPath i/o) restart your host.
    (for me the host didnt successfully restart, it stuck in the process with a fatel error warning, so I had to power down and restart. but it worked anyway)

Now to add the DirectPath I/O to your guest VM
    Create a VM then - right click and Edit Settings - Click Add - Select PCI Device(only available when the VM is powered down) - it should list your available NICs.

Now start your guest VM and it should have all the network adapters added. It will include the virtual network you may have added in the initial set up as well.

Hope this helps to resolve your situation.

Thanks
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information