Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EP-45-DQ6 - very high MCH - temp (possible heatsink pipe issue)

Default EP-45-DQ6 - very high MCH - temp (possible heatsink pipe issue)

Hello folks. So i got this board back in 2009 and the only way i could keep freeze free even on stock setting (memtest,prime95) is lowering MCH voltage from 1.1 to 1.0. Well worked ok. Not long ago i was lurking this forums and found link to MHCTemp 1.2 from overclockers.ru after installing that i got report of MHC 89c idle and about 100-115c on load - i think its bit to high. i did also some test and put stock settings in my bios (mhc 1.1) and ran prime95 - well the MHC reading went over 120c shortly after that system frooze(i had to power off). My conclusion is that heatsinks pipes are somehow mounted bad or there is a lack of thermal paste on chipset (P45). Has anyone experienced that problem before and i wonder if i should take the heatpipes of and reapply some thermal paste on it?
    Thank very much.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP-45-DQ6 - very high MCH - temp (possible heatsink pipe issue)

You could go ahead and reapply thermal paste, this usually helps a lot! If you do, be sure you use a good brand non-conductive paste such as TX-2 or MX-2, ect.

Adding a small 80MM fan pointed at the heatsink can help too, but ya I always redo the pastes myself before I even use any board. Be careful when you pull off the heatsinks on the Mosfets/VRM's, so you don't tear the thermal padding, and be sure you align it back up properly when you put it back on the heatsinks before reinstalling.

Thanks Lsd. I will follow your advice :)
    Btw the heatsink on chipset is not hot at all so i wonder if there is enough contact between heatsink and chipset itself..

The NB one isn't heating up, or did you mean the SB one?

If you mean the SB one it's kind of cool anyway so that's normal, but the NB one should be getting hot/warm for sure, so if it's that one then yes it may not even be making proper contact anymore.

ye i mean NB/MCH chipest (p45) - heatsink - it is slightly warm but not hot - it freeze all the time when voltage is more then 1.0

Well some boards prefer lower MCH than stock, and some need more especially if using 4GB memory or more. So the voltage it likes sounds normal to me, but warm heatsink doesn't (Especially since you are seeing such high temps).

Sounds like the paste has came loose (the stock paste is dry and chunky under there anyway), I'd go ahead and redo it and see how that helps

So after I took that heatsink off I noticed that part which should cool MHC didnt stick with chipet properly. The good thing is that copper is very flexible metal so I reprofiled it a bit and made sure all chipsets/mofsets/vrm have proper contact. I also went and put fresh thermal pads onto it. Well that made a huge difference things running much cooler now. Kinda sad that I get fooled by hmonitor and other temp measure software (none of it showed real MHC temp. Now I'm looking to oc this machine a bit (ep45 dq6 + q6700) I believe I can get 3.6 stable.

Great to hear you were able to modify that a little bit, and you're not getting much better temps, that's awesome!

Not all Q6600/Q6700 can do 3.6 without needing higher voltages, thus very hot temps. But don't let that stop you from trying, go ahead and see what you can do because some can do that or more with low voltage, so you never know until you try.

Thread Information