Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitioning an SSD for Intel RST and creating a System Image

Larkin600 is offline Junior Member

Default Partitioning an SSD for Intel RST and creating a System Image

What would be the consequences for not partitioning your ssd drive before setting up the Intel Rapid Response Technology? Currently I use a Crucial m4 64gb ssd drive with a Western Digital 500gb hhd but I did not use the partitioning process to make a partition on my ssd. What I used was the program Parted Magic to clean the ssd but as I stated I didn't partition it. I realize for one the 100mb System Reserve that Windows 7 create on a clean install will no doubt be created but what other problems would I see. I guess I'm asking what kind performance will I lose by not taking these steps. Thank you in advance for the help.

I also have one other question about the environment the Intel rst creates. My question is how do you go about creating a System Image of this type of environment if I'm asking this correctly? You have an ssd drive which is used for caching only and a harddrive in which you install the operating system and all other programs being used. So if I make a image of the C drive let say. Would that be the only thing need to properly recover the system if something goes wrong? This gets somewhat confusing. I think you have to go into the BIOS and reset the C drive on the hhd by deleting the information making it a Non Raid Disk on the drive and then proceed to clean install or using the recovery procedure then go back into the BIOS and create a Member Disk and performing the Intel rst procedure by bring up the Intel Rapid Response Program and click on Acceleration this would set everything back the way it was previously. Does this make any sense or I'm I on the right track?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Partitioning an SSD for Intel RST and creating a System Image

I believe an image or backup would not contain anything from the cache.

Here's a guide on how to set SSD caching, partitions do not matter because when the RAID array is created it will delete all partitions on that cache drive anyway.
    Step-by-step guide to setting up SSD caching on Z68

Larkin600 is offline Junior Member

I understand now. Thank you very much!

Great, hopefully that will get you all sorted out and installed! Let us know if you need anymore help with it, and of course, post back anytime if you need more help with anything else too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Great, hopefully that will get you all sorted out and installed! Let us know if you need anymore help with it, and of course, post back anytime if you need more help with anything else too!
    Is there any way (or plan) for Gigabyte to enable xPress System Recovery with RAID?
    I've just built a system for a family member, but included a 32GB SSD for RST alongside a single 1TB HDD (boot time down from 1:05 to 0:24) - but as it's now part of the RST "RAID", xPress Recovery won't talk to it.

Is it possible to do this, and would it work?

a) Put HDD on port 0
    b) Put SSD on port 1 (do not enable RST)
    c) Do xPress backup to the HDD (empty space)
    d) Enable RST

My concern is that to allow xPress recovery, one (or two) things have to be done, namely

a) Disable RST (which may be fun if you are recovering due to a dead Windows installation, and cannot access the GUI OR by disabling acceleration from within the Intel Option ROM)
    b) Possibly disconnect the SSD to stop it being picked up.

I'm due to deliver the machine in a few days, so it would be good to know :)

Cheers!

if you blue screen with caching enabled it auto writes the data in the caching ssd to you hdd,same as if you disabled caching,therfore you wont lose any data thats in the ssd
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who would be doing the system restore if something goes wrong? If it's you, then you have many free options!

I'd suggest using Macrium Reflect, you can schedule backups if you want, or not and have them do it manually once every so often or whenever you feel comfortable suggesting.

Macrium Reflect™ provides daily, weekly, and monthly backup cycles that allow you to pick which days and times you want your backups to run. Scheduled backups run independently of whether anyone is logged into the computer.
    As for the Gigabyte software you'll need to ask them directly, but if it's not working for RAID now then it may take them a while to fix it, if they even can do that. This works for RAID, as I use it myself, and it works great!
    Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

Windows system image backup and recovery itself may also work for you, I know it does for regular RAID but I have not tested with RST, you'll have to run it and check that out if you don't want to use the above.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Acronis True Image and their Backup & Recovery work with raid. I use the Backup & recovery for server to backup my Raid10. I dont know how it would work to backup and recover ssd caching.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

doesnt windows back up work? never really used that,acronis is good though and clones hdd's perfectly
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    doesnt windows back up work? never really used that,acronis is good though and clones hdd's perfectly
    I suspect Windows 7 backup (Create a System Image) will work fine - said family member has external USB drives which can be used. They also have Acronis, but I'm trying to avoid having anything installed which isn't necessary for a task the m/board or O/S can do themselves :) (I am Mr Anti-Cruft)

It's just a shame that eXpress Recovery can't work (yet) - as it's basically boot, press one key, off you go, rather than insert CD, potentially change boot order, fiddle with Windows a bit :) (I like things to be as simple as possible).

Technically if I didn't have the SSD drive in, and just had the SATA 1TB drive in AHCI, I could use it - but as it's in XHD (and RST classes caching as a RAID 0 (cache)) then eXpressRecovery won't talk to it (yet). As the cache is purely a gateway to the HDD, you're still only actually reading/from & backing up to (a different partition) on the HDD - but the Intel ROM classes it as a RAID volume which is a no-no for the eXpressRecovery function. *IF* it worked, the only drawback would be that the backup procedure would "read" the O/S partition in full, and the SSD would store a cached copy - which would slow down your next boot as it's not just the common boot files which had been read :)

Still, having the system image on an external drive does also give that separation goodness in case the 1TB goes south... :)
    Last edited by ptruman; 02-24-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information