Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 First time build help needed

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 First time build help needed

According to mine I don't have any irst installed, lol.

You can use the 11 series driver on the x79, just a little grief to do it the first time, easy peasy after that. Especially for a man of your talents.

This is how I do it bud...

System is in raid mode with the E drivers loaded. The only reason I have to use the E driver at all is to enable write back cache in the IRST control panel. So make sure that it's enabled before moving on.
    I download the 11 series driver from station drivers, not from Intel ( not a typo, lol ) because the Intel driver only comes with the windows installer and that will not work on the x79. ( the 11 series driver I mean )
    intel drivers pour Raid/Sata/Ata/Ahci

There is only one file in the download you are looking for after unpacking the driver. You need the x64 file, nothing else.
    The only way I currently know of to load this new 11 series driver is through the device manager. Go to storage manager, update driver--- browse my puter --- let me pick from a list of devices --- highlight controller --- have disk --- new box opens, use drop down to load the x64 file, Done

It will prompt for reboot, if not, you have farked up.

Now, one last thing, I am on Intel ssd's so I want to have use of my Intel Toolbox, the 11 series driver gives me full toolbox functionality, but it also makes the IRST control panel error out if you try to open it. No biggie to me, don't need it. But this is why I say above to make sure you start with E driver first so you can get into the irst cp to enable wbc. Just doing it in the device manger won't get it done
    After this I go to control panel, programs and I uninstall the E driver, or what is left of it. I have had ZERO issues from doing this and I have been doing this since day 1 when I saw the nasty performance of those E drivers.

Looks like a lot to do, takes a few seconds is all, the first time, oh my I went around in circles for a while.
    Last edited by DooRules; 02-28-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

None installed eh! That's even better than my both installed!

Well I was actually using 11 before installing the enterprise ones, that's how there came to be both installed! All I did was move a drive from Z68 to X79, and change the BIOS from RAID to AHCI since RAID wasn't bootable, however I never did open the app until after I installed the enterprise versions. After I installed the enterprise ones though I could open either interface without any problems..

Haha, thanks, yes a man of my talents should have no problem installing them again, and I've read a few posts on how to do it too. But the thing is I've only read people saying once you install the enterprise versions you can't uninstall it without doing a clean install again to get windows bootable again. Is that not true, I can uninstall the enterprise drivers?

A man of my talents comes in now, I can extract the installer from Intel directly! Woohooo! Haha! But yes, I'll keep reading your method of course! If you want to know how to extract the windows installers let me know, it's easy!

Ya, I don't need or use the Intel interface either, so no worries there! So can I remove the enterprise drivers and program, or you are not sure? Also, I'm not 100% sure I can even switch to RAID mode now, since I had to switch to AHCI to even get into windows, but that may have just been before since I moved disks from Z68 to X79 without the E drivers loaded. I think your method is just switching some of the control drivers, maybe all maybe not. I'd like to remove it all, then start over clean with 11. So do you know if it's possible to uninstall the drivers or not? I mean I know it is, but do you know if it's possible to do and still use your windows afterward?

I guess I can always mirror by drive, do the uninstall and see if I have to fix it myself somehow manually, and then if so find the fix and document the method for others. I probably should do that because everyone I've read commenting on that says it's not possible.

Thanks for your thoughts and method though, but I'm still looking for further info or answers I think. I know the E drivers will get better too, so not sure it's even worth my time looking into all this, but I guess I should so I can help others who want to fully switch back like I'm thinking of doing. I didn't have any Enterprise drivers installed at all for several days on X79 and was in AHCI mode using the V11 drivers without any issues, from a disk moved from Z68 to X79 with RST 11 already installed and no E drivers at all, so it is possible to never load them at all, I just need to find out how to go back to that I think (Just to know how, and or be able to tell others how).

You can 100% toss the E drivers without issue , or bsod, lol.

I do this because I am in raid, and the bench numbers are night and day.

I cannot remember the last time i was in a single drive OS environment, so I cannot really say how a single drive setup will work with this bud.
    Last edited by DooRules; 02-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Ohh really!?!?!? Awesome, that's great to hear, I've been holding back for a few days due to reading it wasn't possible at a few places, then I couldn't find those posts again so I wasn't sure anymore so I decided to ask.

I use RAID for single drives and RAID SSD's too, just happen to be on a single disk right now as I have my other two SSD's tied up in testing other systems this week. I always run single drive RAID's without issue, do you mean you just haven't tested single drive RAID on the Enterprise drivers, or your work around? I'll get to what I want now that I know I can safely uninstall those E drivers, I guess I'm just talking myself in circles now, that was all that's been holding me back, nothing will stop me now

I have not tested with a single drive under raid, correct.

I love it when someone else has to be the guinea pig.

I would be mightily surprised if it did not work as smooth as it does for me.

Do you mean on X79, or ever?

I run single drives in RAID all the time on all boards in the past, so that's not an issue at all, unless there a new issue with that specific to X79 which I kind of doubt as if that didn't work you wouldn't be able to have Non-members and that would be a major Intel fail.

Ah c'mon on now.

We are only talking x79 here.

Ahh ok! I'll get it switched over today then and see how things go!

I bet since I had to swtich to AHCI to get into the system again on X79, I'll have to leave in the E drivers in order to use RAID, or do your Frankenstein fix and then switch to single drive RAID

The OP is going to kill us on this mess we've left here for him!

boondocks is offline Senior Member

Well, it's certainly been an entertaining read, anyway! Especially since I barely know WTH you guys are talking about. MOD! Clean up in aisle 6! LOL.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/4.8@1.38 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information