Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: g1 assassin 2 memory problem

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: g1 assassin 2 memory problem

Chike, see my above edit, the timings were just because I had those other channels on auto, nothing to do with the test of single module itself.

@ Acbarrow, as Chike mentioned, have you tried setting some settings with the single module and channel you can use, and then save/apply/reboot to windows, then shut down and try to add in a second stick to see if that works?

It may not help though, as I mentioned you should be able to boot with any single stick in any channel, and you already know your stick works in one channel and I assume you tried that same stick in other channels with no luck right?

To check if there is any shorts, remove the motherboard from the motherboard tray, and put it with no tray on a wooden table or cardboard box, and then try to see if it will work or not.

What cooler are you using, and did you attach a backplate or not? Check around the socket front abd back and make sure no metal is touching the board, while you do that also look for scratches on the PCB.

If the out of case test does not help, you'll need to remove your CPU carefully and take some images for us to examine.

Please be very careful so you don't bend pins while trying to check for bent pins!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Chike, see my above edit, the timings were just because I had those other channels on auto, nothing to do with the test of single module itself.
    So the memory multiplier was set maually and timings auto?
    If the settings would be the same with optimized defaults than it means there's a problem with his other slots.
    I would have start nudging the seller or GB for an RMA.

If you were referring to my edit and testing, yes and no. I manually set the memory multi, and channels B and D timings, from using those slots before, then A and C timings were on auto because I hadn't been using those previously.

My comments were only about my testing and result images I showed, nothing about defaults or what he should see. Sorry for the confusion

You can boot with a known working modules in any single slot, with auto timings or manual if you know what works for your kit.

@ Acbarrow
    Any luck with this yet? Did you test a single modules in all slots yet, so you know which ones are failing for you?

Did you take any pics of your socket yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    If you were referring to my edit and testing, yes and no. I manually set the memory multi, and channels B and D timings, from using those slots before, then A and C timings were on auto because I hadn't been using those previously.

My comments were only about my testing and result images I showed, nothing about defaults or what he should see. Sorry for the confusion

You can boot with a known working modules in any single slot, with auto timings or manual if you know what works for your kit.

@ Acbarrow
    Any luck with this yet? Did you test a single modules in all slots yet, so you know which ones are failing for you?

Did you take any pics of your socket yet?
    Sorry I have been working away but have made some progress I now have 2 sticks working DDR-1 and DDR-3. Following that I changed the CPU fan but that made no difference. Thank you to everyone that tried to help it was really appreciated. I am just going to stick with 2 for now and will relace the mb at some stage probably with an ASUS as I have used them for my last 3 without any problems.

you swapped the cpu heatsink? if so then the heatsink could have been too tight hence two slots are now working,try quarter turn to loosen on each screw on the heatsink mounting and see if you can get other two slots working
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to hear you've made a little progress! It does sound like you either have incorrect pressure in your fan mount, or possibly bent pins, since you now got a second slot working and couldn't previously.

Did you take any images of your CPU socket when you changed fans? If not, and you don't mind, next time or now can you take a few so we can check it over for you. If you do, please take them in a well lit room (Bright as you can), with no flash, and set Macro mode on the camera, then take many shots from various angles, looking downward onto the socket from the side so it's at an angle. No straight on downward images, and don't zoom in super close unless you know your camera wont blur out the pin tips, use a tripod if you have one as that will help a lot.

Board brand isn't going to matter, any brand will do this if you have a short or scratch in the PCB, uneven CPU heatsink mounting pressure, or bent pins, or even incorrect voltage settings. So no need to switch brands just due to this, all you need is another board if this one is damaged, or to try your mounting a few more times and see if you can fix the pressure if this is the issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information