Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: g1 assassin 2 memory problem

Default g1 assassin 2 memory problem

Hello
    Desperately hoping someone can help!!
    Having trouble with the above board and memory issues. Standard setup board, Intel 3930k processor. gigabyte approved RipshawsZ 4x4gb, Zotac GTX 580, Antec case and 750w power supply. The issue is the board will boot with a single memory stick but if I add any more it will not boot, ie the mb powers up, cpu fan etc but no display. I have tried all the sticks in the same slot and they will all boot the machine is used singularly. Now on the beta bios but none have made any difference.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: g1 assassin 2 memory problem

Have you tried to boo with single stick in each of the slots, then each of the modules?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, please test each slot with a known working stick to be sure all slots are working properly.

I've not tested this yet, but I think you can boot with any slot using a single stick. I'll try tonight and let you know.

make sure there isn't anything in the slots such as small pieces of foam, hair, or dust, ect. Also, look under the board where the slots are and make sure nothing is shorting the slots out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Have you tried to boo with single stick in each of the slots, then each of the modules?
    It will only boot from DDR3-1 slot but will allow XMP or basic on this slot. It fails on all other slots and if XMP is enabled in the BIOS I get an overclocking message when I revert to slot 1.

Maybe that's the problem, manual says it's recommended to have one module in DDR3_1 but dows not enforce it, further more for 3 channel mode any slots may be populated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, please test each slot with a known working stick to be sure all slots are working properly.

I've not tested this yet, but I think you can boot with any slot using a single stick. I'll try tonight and let you know.

make sure there isn't anything in the slots such as small pieces of foam, hair, or dust, ect. Also, look under the board where the slots are and make sure nothing is shorting the slots out.
    Nothing in the slots and no shorts that I can identify

Alright, I will test right now if single stick can boot from any channel (Sorry I didn't check yet, I've been really busy this weekend).

You could have bent pins in your CPU socket, that would cause channels to fail, but before you risk taking a look let me see if you should be able to boot with any channel using a single stick.

I'll reply here in a second if you are reading this right now, rebooting to check this for you NOW.

Yes, you can boot with a single memory module in any channel on X79, although I do see it messes up the timings on certain channel when you do this, but it only loosens them so that shouldn't stop you from booting.

So, you either have a short somewhere, or a scratched trace on either side of the PCB from the memory slots to the CPU, or you have bent CPU Socket pins or uneven mounting pressure on the heatsink. If you remove the CPU to take images of the socket, please take them in a well lit room with no flash, Macro Mode enabled on the camera, and from a few different angle looking downward onto the socket from the side. Also, do not zoom in too close as the pins will get blurry if you are too close.

Here's an image of my testing results, no problems booting with any channel and a single memory module

*Note * I just realized I had two of those channels on auto memory timings, so that is why they showed up differently than the other two, not because of anything to do with the board or BIOS or the use of a single module.

Just wanted to note this for anyone reading later, I've been using 2x2GB this week and forgot I had the other channels on auto as they were not in use.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-27-2012 at 10:52 AM.

[QUOTE=Lsdmeasap;417628]Yes, you can boot with a single memory module in any channel on X79, although I do see it messes up the timings on certain channel when you do this, but it only loosens them so that shouldn't stop you from booting.

So, you either have a short somewhere, or a scratched trace on either side of the PCB from the memory slots to the CPU, or you have bent CPU Socket pins or uneven mounting pressure on the heatsink. If you remove the CPU to take images of the socket, please take them in a well lit room with no flash, Macro Mode enabled on the camera, and from a few different angle looking downward onto the socket from the side. Also, do not zoom in too close as the pins will get blurry if you are too close.

Here's an image of my testing results, no problems booting with any channel and a single memory module

Thank you very much for helping. I have tried the heatsink but to no avail. I will try the other suggestions. Any idea how I can check if there is a short?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, you can boot with a single memory module in any channel on X79, although I do see it messes up the timings on certain channel when you do this, but it only loosens them so that shouldn't stop you from booting.
    Do you remember which slot was each image? Because channels and slots are?
    I wonder if the recommended for optimum performance slot DDR3_1 is one of the slots that mess up timings.

@acbarrow
    Before uou take everything apart, try setting memory multi, standard timings, and voltage manually and try again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information