Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Maxing out with an EP45-UD3P, Q9650 and 8GB RAM

Bonka is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Maxing out with an EP45-UD3P, Q9650 and 8GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Cool Man it's you system, I'd say your temps a doing just fine if thoes are load temps. Those trues are one heck of an air cooler. I'll offer no more advice since you apparently are more knowledgeable in this area. But don't hesitate to ask if you want my opine. Like I say maybe proJim, Wazza300 or LDSmeasap will stop in and offer help. Thanks for listinging to my rant ...lol
    You have the stable system I don't I'll need and take all the help I can get haha I will say though I've yet to own a system where my overclocks are a breeze. They've all needed volts, were noisy, ugh. Why am I doing this again?

Really appreciate the help thus far!

So far, it's done 75mins on small FFT at 8K @ 1.35v. I saw vdroop at lower volts but so far it's registering at 1.36v in CPU-Z with LLC on.

Cool man thats wot I'm saying in my un-professional OCer opine methinks you can do a better OC at much lower volts. I sse no reason short of temps why you couldn't reach your full memory speed of 1100 and mabe be a few more. But I respect you knowledge. Attached is a pix of my spread sheets calculations...lol
    Last edited by Conners; 02-29-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Lol Chike that's greek to me..... So using my settings in post 7 (say 1.26v as above compaired to 1.3v)what would you calcualte my Gflops to be..and use the formuals you describe. I just want to see a visual example to help me understand.. Thanks man!
    I ran a baseline test and an OC to see Flops scaling, baseline top, OC below.
    The Flops on the right side of baseline were made with IBT minimized, just to show that even the little flame animation cost us some 0.005 GFlops.
    Benchmarks ran in Windows 7 diagnostic startup(msconfig), and no monitoring software, to minimize running processes.
    Maxing out with an EP45-UD3P, Q9650 and 8GB RAM-merged-flops-png
    I'll use the highest score from each benchmark.
    Baseline gave 17.8993 GFlops.
    for the OC I expected 2996.9 / 2533.4 x 17.8993 = 21.1740 GFlops but only got 21.0080.
    21.0080 / 21.1740 = 99.216% of what I expected. Not all I wanted but very close.
    At higher OC I get even lower precentage (~97.7%) of the expected Flops.

As of now, Prime has been stable with small FFTs for a few hours, stable at large FFTs for a few hours and now running blend and has been stable for just over 2hrs. I will leave it on blend overnight if it stays this way. The heatsink is starting to get heatsoak as it managed to peak at 69c. If all goes well I will do full length runs.

Is there a need to run the custom settings and set the memory manually or are the default torture tests sufficient? I have always used Prime for stability testing but do like how IBT can ring out the proc.

Also from reading around it seems my temperatures are quite good given the voltages I'm running with. Would I be able to use lower voltages if I could keep the temperatures lower?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    I ran a baseline test and an OC to see Flops scaling, baseline top, OC below.
    The Flops on the right side of baseline were made with IBT minimized, just to show that even the little flame animation cost us some 0.005 GFlops.
    Benchmarks ran in Windows 7 diagnostic startup(msconfig), and no monitoring software, to minimize running processes.
    Maxing out with an EP45-UD3P, Q9650 and 8GB RAM-merged-flops-png
    I'll use the highest score from each benchmark.
    Baseline gave 17.8993 GFlops.
    for the OC I expected 2996.9 / 2533.4 x 17.8993 = 21.1740 GFlops but only got 21.0080.
    21.0080 / 21.1740 = 99.216% of what I expected. Not all I wanted but very close.
    At higher OC I get even lower precentage (~97.7%) of the expected Flops.
    Chike Dude I am trting to understand you theory but it doesn't add up to me. the above I can agree with from stock to OC settings. But what I have a problem with is with you saying if GFlops are low you need more vcore. Thats total crap IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
    As of now, Prime has been stable with small FFTs for a few hours, stable at large FFTs for a few hours and now running blend and has been stable for just over 2hrs. I will leave it on blend overnight if it stays this way. The heatsink is starting to get heatsoak as it managed to peak at 69c. If all goes well I will do full length runs.

Is there a need to run the custom settings and set the memory manually or are the default torture tests sufficient? I have always used Prime for stability testing but do like how IBT can ring out the proc.

Also from reading around it seems my temperatures are quite good given the voltages I'm running with. Would I be able to use lower voltages if I could keep the temperatures lower?
    I think I posted wot I would do to mainly lower your vcore and cpu term as well as others to help you out...I can't make you do it only suggest it. In order ot help others please you stabe bios....
    Your temps are fine. Yes I would ..wait no I would try for 461 FSB then dial in the memory... JMO
    Last edited by Conners; 02-29-2012 at 12:52 PM.

But what I have a problem with is with you saying if GFlops are low you need more vcore. Thats total crap IMO.
    What's more simple than lower your vcore and see it for yourself?

I ran those test myself with nothing more than changing the vore in my case from 1.26 to 1.3. Resuts: 1.26V- 52 to 53 GFlops. 1.3v - 52 to 53 GFlops. With no change so therefore I think your thinking is flawed in my opine. No disrespect to you. If you like I can post a visual for you.
    Last edited by Conners; 02-29-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Other settings may hurt Flops besides vcore.
    What are your baseline Flops and OC Flops? With latest IBT v2.53 they should be 55+.
    If your Flops score has more than 0.5 GFlops difference it means you don't run them at optimal conditions.

Just because you had a cpu that did not require adding much vcore don't mean all CPUs are like that.
    e.g. this E7200 need +0.275v(1.3381) for it's current OC set in BIOS, my E7500 needed +0.19v(1.425v) to be at a bit lower CPU frequency.

As a general rule, roo low Flops means more vcore.

I think I posted wot I would do to mainly lower your vcore and cpu term as well as others to help you out...I can't make you do it only suggest it. In order ot help others please you stabe bios....
    Your temps are fine. Yes I would ..wait no I would try for 461 FSB then dial in the memory... JMO
    I've been following your guide on pg.1 and pg.3. It can't pass small ffts even for 30 minutes until I get to 1.35. Same with vtt up until 1.3. However I backed off 1 click each right now and testing again. I haven't touched the memory settings just yet.

I was also thinking of upping the FSB once I can dial in the voltage at 450.

I have read that quads (at least Q9650) with a VID below 1.25 generally require less volts to overclock.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    If your Flops score has more than 0.5 GFlops difference it means you don't run them at optimal conditions.
    This is what I have read as well, short of you running tasks in the background while running IBT.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information