Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Is it the WD30EZRX 100% compatible with the X58A-UD3R r2.0 mobo?

Smile Is it the WD30EZRX 100% compatible with the X58A-UD3R r2.0 mobo?

Hey ,

I need to know if the WD30EZRX Caviar Green hard drive is fully compatible with the X58A-UD3R r2.0 mobo? I understand that Gigabyte added support for 3 Tb hard drives in the penultimate bios. I'll buy two 3Tb WD30EZRX Caviar Green hard drive, they will be my first 3 Tb hard drives and I want to be sure that they will be fully compatible with my system. Any information is welcome. If somebody has experience with this hard drive please feel free to share it. Im looking for a quality HD for storage and reproduction of media files. Most important thing is reliability across the time because the new HD will be my back up of all my important files. Thank you.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Is it the WD30EZRX 100% compatible with the X58A-UD3R r2.0 mobo?

Yes, with BIOS FG1 onwards
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)

GIGABYTE 3TB+ Unlock Utility

GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Utility - Motherboard

You will need to use GPT partitions on the storage drive, but I'm sure you're probably already aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, with BIOS FG1 onwards
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)

GIGABYTE 3TB+ Unlock Utility

GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Utility - Motherboard

You will need to use GPT partitions on the storage drive, but I'm sure you're probably already aware of that.
    Thank you Lsd. I have Win 7 x64, seems that I'll not need the Unlock utility (is that correct?). However, I dont know about the GPT partitions. How is that? what I need to do? I only have experience installing hard drives and then give them standard windows format. Thank you for the information

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Anytime, I'm always happy to help!

I believe you only need the utility and drivers if you want to make a bootable disk, since you are just using it for storage I think you can just manually create a GPT partition and you'll be all set.

Here's some info on how to do that, or it may just be easier for you to use the Gigabyte 3TB+ utility, up to you? Sorry I'm not 100% certain on any of this, I've never used a drive that large. I do know when you open disk manager with a raw disk you are offered to initialize via MBR or GPT, so you can do it from there as well as with diskpart as mentioned in the links below

HOW TO: Use the Diskpart.efi Utility to Create a GUID Partition Table Partition on a Raw Disk in Windows
    Using GPT Drives
    How to Create a GPT Partition | eHow.com

Thread Information