Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I resurrect my board?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Can I resurrect my board?

Quote Originally Posted by gero1369 View Post
    With the 4+7 method, the checksum error and ensuing attempt to copy the backup to the main bios. Things get this far and stop. After doing that (4+7 method), every time I turn the power on, the board comes on, quickly turns off, then posts and goes directly into the checksum error routine (halting on 'writing file...'). Before I successfully was able to get the 4+7 method working, the board just turned on and sat there with the fans spinning, but nothing showing on the screen.

A bootable CD would be great. Could you make one with F5 and newer and also include FlashSPI so I can do the 'upgrade' to use the larger BIOS? Getting the CD would be a great help and time-saver.

Just to make sure, to use the CD, I'd hit F12, choose the CD drive to boot from, at the DOS prompt type:
    Flashspi %BIOS_FILE_NAME%
    Then I would wait for the program to complete. Would there be any other prompts telling me that it is complete, or will it just reboot? Do I have to enter any switches or anything else?

or when booting from the CD, FlashSPI will run automatically by being called in the autoexec.bat; therefore, I will just wait for FlashSPI to complete, then reboot.

In either case, I know to load optimized defaults after the flash, then reboot, and with luck, everything will be flashed and working correctly.

Lsdmeasap, to answer your question from the gigabyte forum:
    "Are you 100% SURE when you were playing around shorting BIOSes that you shorted ONLY the MAIN one?"

I neither physically touched the backup with anything nor did I copy over the main using Alt+F12 (or anything else).

Any other questions or suggestions, let me know. I wasn't able to get time to do anything on the computer last night, but I will when time permits (likely tonight or hopefully, tomorrow at the latest).
    With 4+7 method you should be able to enter Qflash as soon as the board starts if you want, or BIOS then Qflash from there, this would be the ideal way to update the main BIOS. It should turn on, shut down, and turn back on and that second time it starts up you should be hitting Del or End keys to get into the BIOS or Qflash directly. When you were doing that, did you try hitting those keys to get into Qflash right away? if not please try, as I've done that plenty and it always works fine. The only time I see this cause auto recovery is if you don't get into the BIOS or Qflash right away, or if you enter the BIOS but then hit save/apply instead of giong to Qflash.

I'll make you a CD and post at the end of this comment, but I wanna reply to your other thoughts first! I may only be able to put one BIOS file on the ISO, just because of the way it works, I'll let you know at the end when I post the link for the ISO.

You'll be using F12 to boot to CD, then I'll add the commands or tell you how you need to use the ISO once in DOS. CD cannot use autoexec.bat, sorry.

Thanks for the confirmation about which BIOS you shorted!! You have to be sure you ONLY short the main one always, never short the backup!

OK, here is a CD ISO with BIOSes F6, F7L, and F8b. I was able to include more than one BIOS this time, but I have not tested this method, so if there is errors during bootup let me know and I'll make it again with only one BIOS per file. I did boot to DOS and check it out in VMware though, and it all looked to be working properly

Gigabyte.Bootable.BIOS.Flasher.zip

And here is how to use it:

1. Change drive path to Z after DOS Loads
    2. Type Z: at the A:> Prompt
    3. Then dir/w shows the files on Z
    4. Flash with FlashSPI as you normally would, or see below for special instructions on larger BIOS sizes

You may need to use one of these switches with FlashSPI for the larger BIOS files, examples below (This only applies when flashing the larger BIOS while using smaller BIOS)
    FlashSPI BIOSFileName.xxx /X
    FlashSPI BIOSFileName.xxx /Z

Or
    FlashSPI /Z BIOSFileName.xxx
    FlashSPI /X BIOSFileName.xxx

If you still can't get it after all this, and please do try what I mentioned above about Qflash and 4+7 method, then I'll link you to a file we have posted here in our tools sticky that will allow you to flash both BIOSes at once from DOS

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    slightly off topic why cant gigabyte mount the bios chips so that they simply pull out and can be replaced if needed? asus /asrock are like this,would be much easier to get a borked bios chip changed
    $$
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-09-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Hey, thanks again for all the help, I vote for Lsdmeasap as the of bios infos. I'll try to get on things tonight in order to flash with the CD. I'll let you know the results!

Anytime, I'm always happy to help!

Good luck, hopefully that will help you get this sorted out!

No luck overall, but I have noticed some things.

- The BIOS flashing does seem to be working (I notice the version on the boot-up screen changing when I flash it), but I am still getting the checksum error routine on startup.
    - I have tried a few times getting to the boot device menu, but so far, I can only get directly into the BIOS (pressing the delete key). I have tried going directly into q-flash as well, but can't get that to work either.

I will keep trying, but not too much. I think that RMA may be the way that I'll have to go barring anything major happening (like getting the checksum routine to stop).

Chike is offline Senior Member

Could be a bad BIOS chip

Yes, it could be one of the chips is faulty.

Since you can get into the BIOS, you should be able to go from there to Qflash Via F8 from the main page of the BIOS, did you try this already?

If you can boot to DOS, via the boot menu key at startup or post short or, then you could get a USB stick ready, and use the tool posted here (SPIFlash, grab the 1.22, and no it's not the same as FlashSPI!)

/X /Z switches may still be needed, again I can't remember how this older version works
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

This will flash both BIOS at once, or one then the other, can't remember how this older version does it, but in the end if both chips are working both chips will get flashed with the exact same BIOS version so there shouldn't be a checksum error (Or BIOS mismatch with is also considered checksum error)

If you can only get to DOS via CD need it on CD ISO let me know! If you need to know how to make bootable USB check my post in the BIOS lashing guide, it has the tool and files needed to make a bootable USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Since you can get into the BIOS, you should be able to go from there to Qflash Via F8 from the main page of the BIOS, did you try this already?
    Yes, that is how I flashed the bios when I have done it thus far. I was on F5 to start with and have been able to flash up to F6.

If you can boot to DOS, via the boot menu key at startup or post short or, then you could get a USB stick ready, and use the tool posted here (SPIFlash, grab the 1.22, and no it's not the same as FlashSPI!)

/X /Z switches may still be needed, again I can't remember how this older version works
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

This will flash both BIOS at once, or one then the other, can't remember how this older version does it, but in the end if both chips are working both chips will get flashed with the exact same BIOS version so there shouldn't be a checksum error (Or BIOS mismatch with is also considered checksum error)

If you can only get to DOS via CD need it on CD ISO let me know! If you need to know how to make bootable USB check my post in the BIOS lashing guide, it has the tool and files needed to make a bootable USB.
    I'll work on trying more of this later, but thus far I've only been able to get into the bios, but have not been able to get anywhere else besides that (into DOS via floppy, directly into Q-Flash [via the end key], to the boot menu [F12], or anywhere else). I'll keep on trying to get somewhere else besides just into the bios because that doesn't seem to be getting me much of anywhere.

One thing that I do have a question on is what is the 'HPA BIOS'? That comes up as part of the message, "HPA Bios not available".

So, you can get into the BIOS via Del key, what happens if you set USB or floppy for first boot device, then save and reboot and do the procedure again? Try that if you can, ideally you want to be able to somehow boot to DOS so you can use the file I linked above and flash both BIOS at once.

HPA BIOS is a backup copy of BIOS stored in the HPA Section of a hard drive, this would be your triple BIOS backup, and it's only placed there on the hard drive if you set that setting in the BIOS in the past. So nothing to do with actual BIOS, just a copy for recover is all.

So, you can get into the BIOS via Del key, what happens if you set USB or floppy for first boot device, then save and reboot and do the procedure again? Try that if you can, ideally you want to be able to somehow boot to DOS so you can use the file I linked above and flash both BIOS at once.
    I have set the first boot device to the floppy. When I reboot, the board goes directly into the BIOS recovery procedure. I wasn't able to do much trying anything in the past few days, but I can't seem to get beyond the bios recovery procedure besides getting into the bios.

HPA BIOS is a backup copy of BIOS stored in the HPA Section of a hard drive, this would be your triple BIOS backup, and it's only placed there on the hard drive if you set that setting in the BIOS in the past. So nothing to do with actual BIOS, just a copy for recover is all.
    Is there any way to get the HPA bios onto a HDD and use that? Maybe the recovery can happen from there? I guess it would be worth a shot, if it's possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information