Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I resurrect my board?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Can I resurrect my board?

You should be able to (CAN) hold / maintain the short on the MAIN BIOS, this way you are only booting to the backup BIOS. Then while keeping the MAIN shorted boot to DOS via USB or CD and then flash with the tool linked above. Remove the short on the main BIOS chip once you are in DOS before you use the flashing tool

The only way to do the HPA thing you mention is to have another exact model board, then flash it and set the HPA BIOS setting to write to disk and it will do that. But you need a second board, so that's not ideal at all. The above should get you going, as you probably didn't know that was possible. Of course it's (Flashing both chips with SPIFlash) only going to work if the main chip isn't damaged, otherwise it will just write to both and reboot and then you'll still be in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You should be able to (CAN) hold / maintain the short on the MAIN BIOS, this way you are only booting to the backup BIOS. Then while keeping the MAIN shorted boot...
    Would it be better to use the 4+7 method or the 5+6 method. I'd think the 5+6 would be easier to do, but maybe the 4+7 would be better/more effective.

Use 4+7!! And keep it shorted to boot from the backup BIOS, as if there was no main/backup - it then acts like there is only that one BIOS (The backup one you boot from)

Packed up and awaiting RMA #. Could not get past the BIOS, though I did manage to get it to attempt to restore from HPA. The same thing happened; hung when trying to write the backup over the main. I'll let them figure it out. Seems like a bad chip or something. Hopefully I'll get something working back

Again, I really appreciate all of the help! If you fold, I'll fold for you for a while when I get things put back together! If not, maybe I'll just fold for the TT team for a while

You're still king of the bios' infos.

Sorry to hear! Ya, it does sound like a bad MAIN chip. You could have just done as I mentioned above, shorted the main with a wire and left it shorted, but that would only leave you with one BIOS.

Na, I don't fold, but thanks for the offer, most appreciated! Sorry I couldn't help more! I was about to ask if you wanted to send it here to see if I could recover it for you, but I know we'd be wasting shipping $$ if I couldn't, so I didn't offer.

Haha, thanks on the BIOS, modding a few for testing right now actually!

From what I've seen a bit while researching, it seems that the revision 1 of the board tends to have a bit more problems than usual. Hopefully they'll send me a newer and/or better board:)

One funny thing, I did a google image search for 'gigabyte bios error' and your avatar and sig came up as some of the results. It may be to do with my browsing history, but just kinda interesting.

Na, you read it wrong is all, or read the hype to push new revisions! Rev 1.0 boards are the best, better phases and all that jazz! I'd keep my UD7 Rev. 1.0 over any Rev 2.0 board any day!

Ohh ya, I'm sure if you google anything Gigabyte you'll see my name, avatar, signature, ect! I'm Gigabyte everywhere, so Google gets tons of hits with my replies and Gigabyte

But ya, you will either get a new Rev. 2.0 board, repaired/refurbed one, or they will just reflash your exact board and send it back to you (or replace the bad chip). The later two are most likely as that's the cheapest way to fix your board, flashing would only take them seconds and chip replacement about a min or less.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-14-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information