Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I resurrect my board?

Angry Can I resurrect my board?

I have a GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 1 board. I attempted to flash the bios via q-flash w/o luck. I was finally able to get the board to post after several tries. After posting and showing the splash screen, the board goes into the procedure to restore from the backup bios. This is where things stop. After displaying a message to the effect of 'restoring from backup ...', the computer just sits. I've let it sit for hours.

Any suggestions on how to bypass restoring the bios and flash a new main bios?

Can I just hook up a bootable floppy, FAT32 HDD, or USB drive with an autoexec.bat, FLASHSPI.exe, and the bios file, then boot from there, flash the main bios, then overwrite the backup (Alt + F12)?

Any other bright ideas?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Can I resurrect my board?

How can you boot from a floppy or usb flash-drive without BIOS?

Try disconnecting all devices aprt from the graphics card and keyboard, use one memory module only, and clear CMOS, then try to boot again.
    IMO flashing the main to backup is not such a great idea, that's what backups are for. If you flash a bad BIOS to the backup you may end bricking your board. Only do it after you have running it successfully for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    How can you boot from a floppy or usb flash-drive without BIOS?
    I was hoping that it may be possible:)

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    IMO flashing the main to backup is not such a great idea, that's what backups are for...
    I wouldn't copy the bad bios to the backup, only a good, working one.

there is a way to force flash back up to main but lsdme will know more,you can short bios pins to do this aswell but dont attempt without speaking to lsdme as if you touch the wrong ones you will bork the mb for good
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You should first try to manually kick in Dual BIOS recovery. I know it's trying that now, but it's on auto, and doing it manually may work better, so try that first.

How to do this is tricky, so don't give up only after a few tries. The method is posted at the end of post #2 here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html

If that does not work, and does the same as what you are getting now, then I'll show you how to bypass the MAIN BIOS and boot to the backup BIOS. Then once you do that you can go directly to Qflash and update the BIOS again with a proper BIOS.

What was your issue with Qflash anyway? And what BIOS were you on, and what exact BIOS did you flash to? Were the BIOSes the same size?

Thumbs up Re: Can I resurrect my board?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What was your issue with Qflash anyway? And what BIOS were you on, and what exact BIOS did you flash to? Were the BIOSes the same size?
    I'll answer this stuff first, then give a suprising update!
    I had no appearent issue with q-flash. Everything seemed to go fine, erasing and writing the seemingly normal way, pressed the F8 or whatever button to reset or power off, then nothing except for some fans spinning and pretty lights on the mobo. I read all over how to force the backup to kick in after that and did such procedures. That got me to where I was as of yesterday.
    I was on the F5 bios and was attempting to flash to the F6 bios. I'd really like to get to F7, but the size is different, so I'll have to use @bios. The bios' that I'm using, I've downloaded directly from the gigabyte site for my board.

As for getting the backup to kick in, I had to use the 4-7 pin method as the power on/off method wasn't working for me. Where things are at now, if I leave things alone while booting, the checksum error will come up, the backup will attempt to overwrite the main and it just hangs there.

Now for what happened last night...

Update March 7

Amazingly, against all hope, I was actually able to get into the bios by pressing the delete key (about 200 times after the post beep). I tried to flash the bios again with q-flash (several times), but it didn't seem to be working. I'm going to try to get another method of flashing going to see how far I can get there. Maybe the board doesn't like the USB stick that I'm using or something. I'll see if I can't make a CD or use a different USB stick. Thanks thus far for the help.

I'm hoping for the best, but not expecting too much.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So, what happens when you do the 4+7 method? Can you boot to the BIOS at least? If so, do that again and have a USB already connected for Qflash, then flash in the last same size BIOS as what you are currently using. Do that right after you do the 4+7 method, you can also directly enter Qflash instead of booting to the BIOS, using END key. Then once you get the BIOSes sorted out, then you can later update to the larger BIOS via DOS/FlashSPI or @BIOS. If you use @BIOS, just be sure you uninstall the old version and download the latest from here (Not AMD or X79 version)
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

If worse come to worse, I can link you to something that will allow you to flash both BIOSes at once, but you'll need a bootable USB stick. And hey, to enter the BIOS you need to push Del before the post beep, you haven't been waiting till afterwards all the time have you?

Qflash with only work with same size BIOS, not larger ones. After you update to the larger ones, then you can again use Qflash for all new same size large BIOSes.

As for your USB, smaller is often better, so if you can dig up a small one 256MB-2GB that would maybe be better. Also, make sure you have Legacy USB Storage Detect enabled in the BIOS, and you have to leave the USB plugged in when you reboot to do the flash. BIOS cannot be in RAID Mode, use AHCI or IDE, and then at startup hit F12 for the boot menu, then HDD+ and on the next screen choose your USB stick by name or generic USB, you should be able to recognize it.

If you need a bootable CD ISO for BIOS flashing let me know, I can make you one! I'll need to know what BIOS you want to use, should be the same size you are currently using.

With the 4+7 method, the checksum error and ensuing attempt to copy the backup to the main bios. Things get this far and stop. After doing that (4+7 method), every time I turn the power on, the board comes on, quickly turns off, then posts and goes directly into the checksum error routine (halting on 'writing file...'). Before I successfully was able to get the 4+7 method working, the board just turned on and sat there with the fans spinning, but nothing showing on the screen.

A bootable CD would be great. Could you make one with F5 and newer and also include FlashSPI so I can do the 'upgrade' to use the larger BIOS? Getting the CD would be a great help and time-saver.

Just to make sure, to use the CD, I'd hit F12, choose the CD drive to boot from, at the DOS prompt type:
    Flashspi %BIOS_FILE_NAME%
    Then I would wait for the program to complete. Would there be any other prompts telling me that it is complete, or will it just reboot? Do I have to enter any switches or anything else?

or when booting from the CD, FlashSPI will run automatically by being called in the autoexec.bat; therefore, I will just wait for FlashSPI to complete, then reboot.

In either case, I know to load optimized defaults after the flash, then reboot, and with luck, everything will be flashed and working correctly.

Lsdmeasap, to answer your question from the gigabyte forum:
    "Are you 100% SURE when you were playing around shorting BIOSes that you shorted ONLY the MAIN one?"

I neither physically touched the backup with anything nor did I copy over the main using Alt+F12 (or anything else).

Any other questions or suggestions, let me know. I wasn't able to get time to do anything on the computer last night, but I will when time permits (likely tonight or hopefully, tomorrow at the latest).

slightly off topic why cant gigabyte mount the bios chips so that they simply pull out and can be replaced if needed? asus /asrock are like this,would be much easier to get a borked bios chip changed
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

While I think thats a good idea I like to have a physical switch to be able switch between bios's.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information