Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Question about AHCI boot and USB ports on Z68XP-UD4 motherboard

Default Question about AHCI boot and USB ports on Z68XP-UD4 motherboard

Hello Everyone!

I have two questions that I would like to get some help with here.

1) I am about to install a SSD as boot drive in my system, and because of that I switched over to AHCI in BIOS today to make sure I maximize performance,
    and I now notice something that strikes me as a bit weird. First when it POSTs it detects IDE drives (which it cannot find any of since all of the ports are AHCI mode)
    then from there it continues to load up the SATA/AHCI BIOS and detect the attached SATA devices (3x harddrives and 1x optical drive at this point) then it continues
    to the "Starting Operating System..." bit - but here it doesn't immediately boot up the OS, but stays and writes out this line of dots "........." for a while, and then
    proceeds to boot Windows successfully - does anyone know why this delay??

2) Second question which is kind of unrelated has to do with the USB ports. I have this Zalman ZM-VE200 external USB enclosure with a OCZ Petrol 64 GB SSD in it
    which most of the time works just fine. But I noticed something really strange... if I plug the drive into the first USB 2.0 port on the front of my computer case (Antec Solo II)
    the external drive is detected and tells me it needs to be formatted(!!) but if I then plug the drive into the second USB 2.0 port (the one at the bottom) it detects the drive
    properly and everything works. Also using USB memory sticks etc. seems to work just FINE with the first USB port so I'm not sure why this would happen with just the ZM-VE200...

Thank you in advance for your help.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

Default Re: Question about AHCI boot and USB ports on Z68XP-UD4 motherboard

Was windows installed on the ssd when bio was set to IDE mode? If so you need to change some registry entry to be able to enable AHCI after windows is installed.

When using AHCI your drives will not get detected on the inital bios boot screen as they are in AHCI mode not IDE mode. The second screen that says AHCI this is were the drives should be seen.

After switching from IDE to AHCI some times you will need to reenter the bios and change the correct hdd boot order.

As for your USB problems not to sure. Make sure you have the latest chip set drivers installed along with the latest bios for your board.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Question about AHCI boot and USB ports on Z68XP-UD4 motherboard

First thing first, you have the GSATA ports so there still may be IDE devices. You can try and disable it if you don'y use it and see what happen.
    I myself disable any peripherals I don't use, like IDE, floppy, serial, paralel etc. and I still see the detecting IDE message but for a brief moment.
    Not sure about the dealy, check boot drive priority and make sure your boot drive is the first.

As for the USB all I can say that I find the front USB ports as most unreliable, wouldn't use them to connect a hard drive.

Thread Information