Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIOS update on odd GA-G31M-ES2L

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS update on odd GA-G31M-ES2L

Ya, you can get the wrong BIOS flashed into a board accidentally sometimes, it normally will fail to flash due to BIOS ID mismatch, but not always and especially not always when flashing with @BIOS.

So ya, you need to check PCB to be 100% sure what board it is, then you can update the BIOS to the correct model if it's not correct now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya, you can get the wrong BIOS flashed into a board accidentally sometimes, it normally will fail to flash due to BIOS ID mismatch, but not always and especially not always when flashing with @BIOS.

So ya, you need to check PCB to be 100% sure what board it is, then you can update the BIOS to the correct model if it's not correct now.
    The confusion is actually on the packaging - after looking again, the board does show the correct model "GA-G31M-S2L" (no E). I checked my file cabinet for the receipt on the MB, and although I found the PSU receipt, the one I needed was not there. (I got the PSU from microcenter, so I must have got the MB online).

What happened; since the packaging was readily accessible (on a shelf) I looked there first and had seen GA-G31M-ES2L. Then, whenver I had seen "GA-G31M-S2L", my mind perceived that as "GA-31M-ES2L". The discrepency is clear as day with award edit utility - I just had a mental block because of what I'd seen on the packaging.

F9 is running right now, and the system seems to be doing well. I've not run it through nothing more than preliminary funciton checks, but after a RAM upgrade I'm going to be putting more load on the system and tweaking it a bit more.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Comparing the 2 boards the only noticeable difference is the audio chip, for a file srer they are probably equally good.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If you bought it online you should be able to find your reciept, and if you do, and they sold you the wrong board then you may be able to complain and get some kind of compensation since it was an older board in a new box!

I know that will be a little hard to prove now, but it's worth trying and definitely worth complaining about to them if you purchased it new from a online store!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information