Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD/Marvell

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: SSD/Marvell

Ahh ok, ya your USB comment was confusing, but now I see you meant something to do with the 920 water cooler right? If so, I'm not sure, I've never used one and don't see why a water cooler has a USB cable? I see what you mean though, sorry I was replying as I read that. Now that I see, yes just attach it as you are instructed in the manual for it. It won't matter if it runs at full speed or not, you'll want it around 80-100% most of the time anyway, the only reason people turn pumps down under 100% sometimes is that can get loud or vibrate too much - depending on the pump.

Yes, you can install OS without a mouse connected, if you know your way around using the tab adn enter buttons

If you want to install the OS onto the SSD without the RAID connected that is fine, just be sure you have RAID enabled in the BIOS before you start the install. Then you can update drivers once installed, if you want, then reconnect the RAID array.

You don't have to clear the CMOS unless you run into issues, not sure what you meant about that?

Install nothing from the CD at all! Download ONLY the drivers you need from either Gigabyte's web page for your motherboard, or directly from the source (IE Intel, Realtek, ect)

Here, these are the latest drivers you mainly need

Intel INF Chipset (First link EXE)
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816

Intel RAID/AHCI driver (Third Link EXE - No F6 Pre-install drivers are required, but you can install them if you want while installing windows)
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...age+Technology

RealTek Audio (You want 64 or 32 bits Vista, Windows7 Driver only at the top)
    Realtek

RealTek LAN (You want Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program)
    Realtek

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

If you want to install the OS onto the SSD without the RAID connected that is fine, just be sure you have RAID enabled in the BIOS before you start the install. Then you can update drivers once installed, if you want, then reconnect the RAID array.

Im really following pretty much what you are saying, but we didnt really post how exactly to use the HD's. It trully appears that your hinting to continue running them in Raid. I guess what Im saying realates to the fact that the HD's contain the OS curently, and I believe it would be a good idea to remove it. I dont believe the OS is error free, nor would I want to deal with conflicts ie. one program not installed on both the SSD and the Raid and or different (latest) drivers.

However it sounds like if Im going to use the HD's in Raid, that I should set it up when installing OS, even w/o drives installed or Is that more to keep the Raid's current data? My line of thinking is that I cant just uninstall Win7 from the Raid, but I also want to avoid something like NDLTR not found after I format the HD's (thought it might be best to install/ format the HD's one at a time) Or maybe your saying that I should consider setting up the Raid, install the drivers, then go into bios disable the raid, install one HD, format, repeat, and then finally set-up the Raid.

You don't have to clear the CMOS unless you run into issues, not sure what you meant about that?

Reading above I can understand how it can be confusing. My concern would be the Bios not liking the fact that the Hd's are not installed, compounded w a new device (SSD)present.

Here, these are the latest drivers you mainly need

Intel INF Chipset (First link EXE)
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816

I know that I need this first one (chipset driver), but it gets confusing something terrible when you dont mention the Marvell pre-install driver and or the Marvell Storage utility

RealTek LAN (You want Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program)
    Realtek
    Im almost happy for you not mentioing more drivers, because Im lost on this one too The GB downloads page (and install disk) do not list the RealTek Lan driver. Do I need to d/l and install before installing latest Bigfoot driver? Im thinking that the GB file includes both, but your suggesting to: d/l latest RealTek driver, install, and then download and install Bigfoot driver (fwiw the latest Bigfoot driver included a flash to update the firmware) ie I probably need to download and install Version 6.1.0.264 p.s. If in fact I do need the Lan driver from Real Tek, does version 7.050 (5745k)sound about right?

Now I really must say thank-you for your help, along w your patience. I just wanted to point out that I had messaged the person who made the review on a specific SSD, basically explaining that I didnt believe per early responce that Bios update was needed, so maybe be a good idea to move this post. My sincere appologies obviously if post is moved. You have been extremely helpful! btw on this cooler the pump is supposed to run at 100% full time (USB connection allows me to manually & automatically control fan ramp-up based on need/cooling temp)

Sorry for my confusion on drivers! I'm so used to all Gigabyte boards using Realtek LAN and Audio I forgot you had one of the boards that doesn't use that! So you do not need Realtek anything, download the latest LAN and Audio drivers from the Gigabyte site for this board!

No problem, I'm always happy to help, so you're welcome!

What do you mean about moving this post in your last comments? You lost me there? Who are you referring to reviewing an SSD, and what do you mean about BIOS update? And no one should move your posts around here, there are other mods but I doubt anyone would see a reason to move your posts or anything like that.
    I just wanted to point out that I had messaged the person who made the review on a specific SSD, basically explaining that I didnt believe per early responce that Bios update was needed, so maybe be a good idea to move this post. My sincere appologies obviously if post is moved.
    Great, if your cooler is supposed to run at 100% all the time anyway, then you may not need to even worry about USb connection, unless you want to change other options in the software or maybe turn it down sometime later, but sounds like it definitely wont be an issue for you to install without it being connected unless it's required for the power functions too. You can install with it connected though too if need be, it wont hurt or mess up the install or anything

I believe the latest confusion is all on me. I know the mobo uses like an overlay to run Creative SB (still need the realtek driver, but maybe via GB site for compatibility w Soundblaster)

When you first responded "The Marvell ports on that board are actually pretty good", it sounded like I didnt need to update (in other words I felt like I was asking an engineer about steps to change oil) I read this review http://forums.tweaktown.com/storage-...ing-pc-nb.html and thought maybe post should be in a different area (didnt want to double post or break any forum rules) It happened to be for my SSD so I messaged Windwithme at the time, thinkin this post should have been in storage.

Could you shed more light on the use of Marvell drivers (thinking the IRST is for HD's in my case) In other words, I need to install the Marvell F6 driver, along w actual Marvell driver/storage software for the SSD correct? Id almost like to avoid using Raid on the HD's tbh (espcially if it may cause issues w the Marvell) Im pretty sure that I need to install the Marvell file from GB too (because the one Marvell site was confusing to d/l from)

Im still not understanding how to get the HD's formatted ie. remove current OS,and files

p.s. Im gettin ancy to install the SSD, so please understand if say I post "whats best practice for installing HD" and or HD Raid post OS.

You can use the direct Realtek driver, I looked at your webpage download and it looks the same, so install that and then the Creative ones from here
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - G1.Guerrilla (rev. 1.0)

Don't get so worried about all this hard drive controller stuff! Update the Marvell BIOS via the motherboard BIOS just because you should as it's included in the BIOS update itself for good reason. Marvell drivers can be unstable at times, but not so much on your particular board. Installing them is optional, the main drivers I mean. If you want to use RAID on Marvell you have to install the Pre-Install drivers. If you do not want to use RAID you can do a few things. You can not install any Marvell drivers which would then use Microsoft MSAHCI drivers, or you can install the Magni Console drivers only (Marvell SATA Controller Driver @ Gigabyte webpage), or you can install the Magni Console Drivers and the "Marvell Storage Utility" @ Gigabyte's webpage (Which includes Magni Console, other Marvell drivers, and Marvell Tray - web management utility)

And again, that is all up to you, you do not have to install any Marvell drivers unless you want to, or are using RAID (Then you have to install F6 Pre-Install drivers). RAID will not cause issues with the particular Marvell chip on your board, it's much better than most of the other X58 boards with a Marvell controller, that's why I said it's actually pretty good. Your board has a new Marvell chip 9182, most other X58A boards have an older slower controller 9128. So, you will be fine using RAID if you want, if you want to see how it performs check my review for X58A-OC linked in my signature.

What hard drives do you need formatted, and how? We still aren't sure if you are using RAID, and on which drives, so it's hard to say. If you are going to use RAID, you build the array in the BIOS, then either do nothing on the Windows install screen except load drivers and click next, this will let windows create and align a partition. Or you can do all that, and create, align, and format a partition yourself before installing windows, all other hard drives non-SSD can be formatted in windows if needed. If you need to know how to do it manually let me know. Removal of current OS will be done when you create a RAID, it will wipe the drives. If you mean a single SSD needs the OS removed, that can be removed via another windows install and manually creating and aligning your drive, or pre-install via the install disk manual alignment process, don't format on the windows disk selection screen as your partition wont get aligned.

Let me know exactly how you want to proceed, with what disks, and I'll tell you how you should align and set things up.

Im not using raid on the Marvell Sata Controller (nor do I plan too) The SSD is still in the box...

My current system consists of two WD HD's in Raid on the CH10R w/ Win 7 (64 bit) installed.

I would like to connect the SSD to the Marvell Controller, and install the OS on the SSD. (I might be wrong but my user manual only appears to explain settings for Raid on the Marvell Controller)

Im thinkin it would be nice to continue using the HD's in Raid (but w/o the current OS/programs/files installed on it).

p.s. I realize that I will still probably see this error: Event ID 10 is logged in the Application log after you install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 in Event Viewer, but Id really like a new clean install to the SSD.

OK, then that's easy!

Disconnect your RAID data cables for now, be sure to keep them separate or labeled so you know which goes to which drive. Then connect the SSD to the Marvell port, and enable AHCI for Marvell.

Set 1, 2, 3 boot order to:
    1. HDD (Main OS drive)
    2. None/Disabled
    3. None, Disabled

Then reboot back to the BIOS and go into Advanced BIOS page and then into Hard Disk Boot Priority and make sure the SSD is at the top of the list, should be as it's the only drive connected right now, but just double check.

Then reboot and use F12 to get to the boot menu, and choose CD to boot from.

Then with the Windows 7 Install DVD do the following to create and align your partition:

Boot to CD, choose repair, then advanced, then command prompt:

Diskpart commands to align and create a partition

Diskpart >List Disk

(Here note the Disk # you want to align and create on based on size of drive, if only one drive then you are fine disk 0 will be the one you need)

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
    (Or other disk number if need be)

Diskpart > List Partition
    (Just to ensure you have the correct disk listed and no partitions are found)

Diskpart > Clean
    (Removes any previous partition table information, and or MBR's)

Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
    (To create and align your partition)

Diskpart> Format Quick FS=NTFS
    (To Quick format-NTFS)

Diskpart > Assign Letter=X (Just use assign only here)
    (Where X is the letter you wish to assign, or if left blank next available letter will be used. If you intened to leave blank for auto letter assignment, command only requires assign - no letter specification needed)

(To check partition was created properly and aligned)

Diskpart > Active
    (To set partition Active for OS Install)

Diskpart > Exit

Done!

Clean and simple for those who have only one disk connected and need no explanations

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
    Diskpart > Clean
    Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
    Diskpart > Format Quick FS=NTFS
    Diskpart > Assign Letter=X(Or simply assign)
    Diskpart > Active
    Diskpart > Exit

Then reboot and boot to the install DVD again, then install windows normally. Do not do anything on the disk selection screen, just select/click the shown partition and click next. Once the install is complete reboot to the BIOS and be sure RAID is enabled for the Intel controller. Then go to windows and install the Intel RAID/AHCI drivers from below (Third link exe)
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...age+Technology

Then shut down and connect the data cables back to your RAID array. Then you're all set, boot to windows and do whatever you want to do with your old windows install or whatever else is on the RAID array (Delete, format, move, copy, ect)!

Also, sorry I forgot to mention this above (now edited in)! When in the BIOS after disconnecting the RAID cables, and setting Marvell to AHCI, always reboot to the BIOS before doing anything to the SSD to make sure it's shown at the top of the hard disk boot priority list in the advanced BIOS page. You'll have to check this again and possibly move the drive back to the list once more after you reconnect the RAID disks too.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-21-2012 at 12:30 AM.

/Quote As for the forced Marvell setting. It's a setting in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page, towards the bottom, called SATA3 Firmware Selection, set that to Force after you've flashed and loaded optimized and rebooted back to the BIOS. This will flash the Marvell firmware on your next save/reboot and it happens right before windows on the IRQ screen. Then next time you are in this BIOS this setting will be back to auto or onchip, this is normal and how it works as you only need to force flash it that one time to get it updated.
    /End Quote

Miracles will never cease! I trully believe Bios is updated! Im also pretty sure I followed steps correctly (least till the "force" part) Ive looked through the bios screen, and rebooted to check your wording, But cant find firmware selection and or a force option on anything. I was able to make some positive changes (or possibly re-add them like change from PCI to PCI express 16-2) I also set the Marvell controller to ACHI, which installed drivers on startup ( I still didnt see Sata 3 firmware option) I did see something like load small rom or larger rom first, but it sure didnt sound like what I was looking for...

System Info is how I know BIOS is updated (shows version and date)

I need to get some rest now, hope you have a great day/evening!

Nice to hear you got the BIOS updated smoothly! Again, I'm sorry for my confusion! There is no force update for the newer Marvell controller on this board, no need to update it that was as the BIOS does it by default in a different manner than the older 9128 controllers since it has it's own separate BIOS.

So you're good to go!! And I checked your Intel ROM in the BIOS too while I was looking around for you earlier, and it's fairly up to date too (10.6.0.1091), so you're all set!

I been searchin for options since my last post. I know you previosuly mentioned "IRQ screen", while I have Sata port 0-3 native mode set to disabled. I did actually boot using enabled (read something that it can limit devices) basically I put it back to disabled to avoid any added confusion for troubleshootin "force controller" when the "firmware selection" stilll didnt appear..

It looks like I will be installing soon, thanx you!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information