Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD/Marvell

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: SSD/Marvell

When I mentioned IRQ screen, I meant the IRQ screen shown during bootup, right before the AHCI or RAID screen, or before windows starts to load. There isn't any BIOS settings for this, and again it was only mentioned in regards to the Marvell firmware update process which you don't need to worry about on this board anyway, so again sorry for my huge confusion on this and making you spend time looking around for nothing!!

Yes, you are ready to install! Good luck and let us know if you run into any issues with the install!

LTNS

Good news! I have the SSD installed. I have to say first off, the most interesting thing is seeing the option to "safely remove hardware and media" for the SSD under the taskbar (im now thinkin this is because of the write cache feature) I found this by checkin the drivers listed for the drive.

Now I did install the IRST drivers from Intel as directed! However when I looked at the disk drive listed in Control panel, its showing 6.1.7600.16385 (MS drivers from 2006). I decided to install the Marvell (driver only), and well Im not so sure it changed anything at all. I did see a msg when installing IRST that it controls all boot drives or something to that effect(which makes me think everything is installed correctly)

I am kinda hoping you may know some setting to check, just to be sure, all is installed correctly! (btw thank you all, for heads up on Defrag, I had to go in manually, to change it from running on a scheduled basis) I also reset power settings for things like no hibernate, and hybrid sleep etc.

Im gonna bookmark this, for my next vacation w plans to reinstall the HD's (I will be sure to let ya know how things go, and/or be looking for help!)

Anyway Im hopin that I dont hear any talk of "well you should have" because Im almost finished reinstalling, so Im going to finish whats left, and check back.

Thank you!

The safely remove option for the SSD is only becuase of two things, one is if you are using Marvell ports sometimes this is always like that but you can change in the registry. Or it can be due to using the MSAHCI driver while on the Intel ports, that can be changed in the registry as well, or simply by updating to the Intel RST drivers which is advised anyway.

I'm not sure what ports you have your disk on, but you only need to install one driver or the other, Intel or Marvell drivers but not both. When you look in device manager, you want to look at the storage controller driver, not the disk driver as that will always be Microsoft. now that you installed Marvell and Intel, you'll probably see both in storage controllers so that's not going to be any help for you. To verify what driver is actually controlling your SSD, open AS SSD and select the drive, it will show the driver in use at the time.

You shouldn't have had to disable defragging, if the scheduler was still enabled that would have been for your other hard drives. Windows will gray out the SSD, leaving the scheduler enabled to defrag other disks, but ya you can disable it all together if you want.

"To verify what driver is actually controlling your SSD, open AS SSD and select the drive, it will show the driver in use at the time."

Im not sure what you mean by "open AS SSD", but I did open up IRST and it appears to only recognize my CD-Rom The only storage Controller listed is Intel under Device Manager. I also had tried earlier to update the drive via Device Manager (not even sure that it was listed as Disk drive to start) but I was unable to update.

I didnt want to risk defrag running. It appeared to have a default setting for schedule, and the C drive was listed (only drive present)

Im gonna plan to finish this update in process, and proceed to uninstall the Marvell driver? The SSD is installed on the Marvell port

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

AS SSD is a benchmark program that will show you the transfer speeds of you ssd.

It would help if you could please fill out your signature with your current hardware listed as you see we have. This will make it a lot easier for us to help know exactly what hardware you have with out having to refer back to the first post.

What physic port did you plug your ssd into? There are 6 black sata2 ports labled sata2_0-5 and then there are 2 white sata3 ports Jmicron 9182. You should have the SSD connected the the white ports. These are your sata3 ports same as the ones used on the x58a-oc. I have tested with and with out the marvel drives and both seam to perform the same. If you do not install the marvel drivers you will not see the controller listed in device manager. Look at the last link in my sig to see my ssd benchmarks.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

I actually was looking to fill out signature, but was having trouble distinushing how exactly (almost appears that I have to edit a header like Location)

I do have an update though, upon uninstalling the Marvell driver, I recieved a msg about the SSD (requiring reboot) It appears that everything is the same w exception that the name of the SSD appears in device manager now, and if I right click it says update software as opposed to driver (thought I might have to click uninstall for a little while there, and hope reboot fixes)

I plugged into the white port closest to the mobo. Im considering using the update software to reinstall the Marvell driver.

really need to get some sleep now, but I did see some performance related issues in event viewer (I will try to update tomorrow!)

p.s. has anyone clicked the "safely remove hardware" for the SSD?

I have not used that function on a SSD but all that function does is stops all access the the drive and unmounts it from the operating system, which allows you to remove it from the computer. Most USB thumb drives operate this way. Other wise when you just disconnect the device windows could be writing to it and could corrupt the data.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperbag View Post
    "To verify what driver is actually controlling your SSD, open AS SSD and select the drive, it will show the driver in use at the time."

Im not sure what you mean by "open AS SSD", but I did open up IRST and it appears to only recognize my CD-Rom The only storage Controller listed is Intel under Device Manager. I also had tried earlier to update the drive via Device Manager (not even sure that it was listed as Disk drive to start) but I was unable to update.

I didnt want to risk defrag running. It appeared to have a default setting for schedule, and the C drive was listed (only drive present)

Im gonna plan to finish this update in process, and proceed to uninstall the Marvell driver? The SSD is installed on the Marvell port
    Sorry, I think I meant to link you to that! Here it is, download is at the very bottom of the page
    Alex Intelligent Software - Downloads

You do not need to see anything in device manager, and wont as you noticed, unless you install the Marvell drivers. All you need to do is verify which driver you are using with AS SSD, or install the exact one you want to use.

Defrag scheduler can just be disabled if you want, but if you have other real hard drives you'll want to leave it enabled. It will still show your SSD's, they should just say "Never Run" and they wont ever be defragged.

See, here, I connected two to my board to show you how that looks

But yes, you can just disable the scheduler if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperbag View Post
    I actually was looking to fill out signature, but was having trouble distinushing how exactly (almost appears that I have to edit a header like Location)

I do have an update though, upon uninstalling the Marvell driver, I recieved a msg about the SSD (requiring reboot) It appears that everything is the same w exception that the name of the SSD appears in device manager now, and if I right click it says update software as opposed to driver (thought I might have to click uninstall for a little while there, and hope reboot fixes)

I plugged into the white port closest to the mobo. Im considering using the update software to reinstall the Marvell driver.

really need to get some sleep now, but I did see some performance related issues in event viewer (I will try to update tomorrow!)

p.s. has anyone clicked the "safely remove hardware" for the SSD?
    You edit/add your signature here, it's just like posting on the forums, but you can style it however you want (Same as you can on the forums actually )
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature

You do not want to safely remove your OS drive!! That's for if you are using the controller as additional storage and you want to hot swap or something, if you unplug it your system will just freeze and then crash. Yes, I have tested that, since you asked

Morning I need to read every word of responces still. but I do have some quick info.

Earlier I explained that I followed steps too the T. I maybe should have said I attempted too (not quite as bad as "Mam do you have power in the house" old joke involving troubleshooting) The first change not discussed was moving the CD-Rom connection to the last Sata 2 port (closest to Sata 3 but one connection away from MOBO) When I first set the system up, I had it connected to like one connection away from last. Anyway I somehow managed to not connect the actual power sata to the SSD (needless to say, I wasnt having much success attempting to install)

@ this point in time I was rechecking all the info available in BIOS In the BIOS, I noticed that under Standard CMOS Features that the SSD is listed as Channel 4 Master (again I dont believe my HD's were listed here.

Im also sorry to say that I first installed the chipset drivers, before installing the IRST.

The main reason Im posting is that after installing most all of my programs & windows updates, I shut down the computer. This morning when I went to startup, I was greeted with a black screen (noticed disk activity so I let it keep running for sometime) I finally used the power button to shut down, turned off the actual power supply, and proceded to use F8 to boot into safe mode. I looked at several events in Event Viewer and restarted successfully..

p.s. Im not so sure I can get the SSD to appear under IRST, because it only lists the Sata 2 ports

/Edit I clicked the link and it says I dont have permission to have a signature

/Edit here is info off AS SSD = Corsair Performance 1.0| msachi -OK | 1024 K -OK 119.24 GB (I might just reinstall the Marvell 'driver only') thinkin before I just made it available to my system, didnt actually install for actual use
    Last edited by Zipperbag; 03-23-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Sig responce/ more driver info!

If the SSD is connected to the white sata3 ports the drive will show doing the first screen of post. It will not show up in the IRST utility as that utility will only work with the intel sata2 ports for your motherboard.

It should not matter if you installed the IRST before the chip set or vise versa.

If the SSD is connected to the Marvel white sata3 connector and the drive can be formated and see by windows or windows can be installed on to the drive then you are for the most part good to go.

Also did you go into the bios and enable AHCI for the marvel controller?
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information