Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD/Marvell

Default Re: SSD/Marvell

yes ACHI is set to enabled in BIOS

Does this sound correct for using the Marvell driver? Install the driver, and then use device manager to update the software for its use?

/Edit Its almost interesting to look at picture uploaded earlier. It shows ie. C drive as Degrag "never ran", but then its says below "only drives that can be defragmented will be shown". I imagine once I do reinsatll the HD's that when I enable Defrag that it might not allow me to schedule, but Id rather manually choose to run it really (i know its "ntfs" but I still like usin error check first)...
    Last edited by Zipperbag; 03-23-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Responce to defrag

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

If you are gonna install any marvel drive this is the only thing that you need to install. http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/12...0.1019whql.zip

I dont know what you mean by "then use device manager to update the software for it use"

From start to scratch this is all you should have to do.

Install SSD to white marvel sata3 connector.
    Install hdd,DVD to black sata2 connectors.
    Boot into bios and enable ACHI for both controllers.
    Boot off window windows cd format and install windows to the SSD.

Once windows is installed install the following (order should not matter to much)

1. Install chip set drivers.
    2. install lan drivers
    3. install usb3 drivers
    4. install video card drivers
    5. install IRST drivers
    6. Install Marvel drivers (Not needed)

That should be it then you just need to configure windows so you are not writing to the SSD as much and wear it out.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Well I did actually install "Marvell Magni driver installer" earlier.. Device manager had the drive listed as Disk drive. Basically I didnt really see anything showing that the driver was functioing in place of the MS driver (didnt have AS SSD software loaded) my appologies for confusion

p.s. do you have a link w suggested configuration changes, or is it stickied somewhere??

Everything you should need can be found here in this sticky

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

In the past with the old marvell controller is was suggested not to use their driver and stick with the MS driver instead. Even now with the updated controller I see no benifits (performance wise)install the marvell driver over the MS driver.

The only thing that changes visually is that the marvell controller will show up in the device manager.

You can follow these steps to move your "Users" folder from the SSD to a HDD.

How to Change User Profile Default Location in Windows 7 | Windows7hacker

User Profile - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Forums

How to configure windows

Guide * Windows 7 Ultimate Tweaks & Utilities *
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperbag View Post
    yes ACHI is set to enabled in BIOS

Does this sound correct for using the Marvell driver? Install the driver, and then use device manager to update the software for its use?

/Edit Its almost interesting to look at picture uploaded earlier. It shows ie. C drive as Degrag "never ran", but then its says below "only drives that can be defragmented will be shown". I imagine once I do reinsatll the HD's that when I enable Defrag that it might not allow me to schedule, but Id rather manually choose to run it really (i know its "ntfs" but I still like usin error check first)...
    Ya, as mentioned above no need to use device manager to update anything. You either only install the Marvell Magni console (Smaller package), or you install the complete package which is the larger one that includes magni console, disk drivers, and Marvell tray web utility. Nothing is updated via device manager, at all.

SSD's will be shown, just not defragmented (As in, you cannot schedule one to be defragmented), I think they just worded that funky is all!

See, here is the same drives connected with scheduling enabled, but you can see I can't schedule a defrag for the SSD's, even selecting all disks does not select the SSD's they will always say "never run"

So yes, your assumptions are correct, it's not going to allow it to run on the SSD. And you can leave schedule disabled if you want and manually run the defragger whenever you want on other drives. It will allow you to manually defrag a SSD, but that's manual and by choice only. I highly recommend other defrag programs anyway if you are going to use one, such as Perfect Disk. These will have proper SSD defrag abilities, which you can use once a month or so, whenever you want, this is basically free space allocation more than defragging, but it will defrag a little in the process of moving stuff around of course. But really, that's the only type of defragmentation you should do to SSD's, free space consolidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperbag View Post
    Well I did actually install "Marvell Magni driver installer" earlier.. Device manager had the drive listed as Disk drive. Basically I didnt really see anything showing that the driver was functioing in place of the MS driver (didnt have AS SSD software loaded) my appologies for confusion

p.s. do you have a link w suggested configuration changes, or is it stickied somewhere??
    That would leave the MSAHCI driver as the main driver, that is the only driver (Magni console, Smallest driver package) you want if you do not want to use the Marvell drivers.

Since you have the better Marvell controller you can install the full package if you want, or the other disk drivers mentioned above. It's all up to you, you can test various ways if you want and see which works best for you.

Well what do you know! I d/l SATA_allOS_1.2.0.1019_PV_Marvell via Intel's site (seen some sites w varying sizes for the file) anyway I clicked install, and it asked for a finish install/reboot, I clicked and then Windows wanted to reboot a 2nd time (changes made to System or something)..

Device Manager lists both controllers now! Basically passing the eye test (I did doublecheck w/ AS SSD though)

Im gonna give it a few days to (sorta break-in period) really tweak the Mobo a bit more, but it would be nice to get signature privileges if possible (maybe my fault for usin FB, dunno)

p.s. thank you for all the help & info!

Marvell via Intel's site? Haha, that just doesn't sound right

Ohh, sorry about the signature thing, I meant to comment on that earlier! It's because you never clicked the link in the registration email, so the system is still waiting for you to do that. Since our email system is on the fritz right now, I'll make you a registered user right now, so when you read this post you'll be able to go make a signature and upload avatars, ect.

Yeah I dont know about that either, quick google looks like he may have download this http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ional&lang=eng.

Me personally I would either download from the sticky link I gave or only the the manufacture them this case marvell or the motherboard manufacture.

The above link looks like its marvels driver for intel brand motherboards

Intel® Desktop Board DH61BE
    Intel® Desktop Board DX58OG
    Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO2
    Intel® Desktop Board DZ68BC
    Intel® Desktop Board DZ77BH-55K
    Intel® Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Morning all!

Its almost frustrating that I had another occurence of failure to start this morning. I had to boot into safe mode, and restart..

I might try cleanboot, and a few other things to try to narrow down any issues. I seem to recall having better luck on startup by actually logging off, before shutting down in the past (intial install). Basically if this issue sounds familiar, Id love to hear any suggestions (thinkin one issue could be related to Win7 attempting to improve startup performance, while my AV is loading at startup for protection)<-- just a bad guess

Check sig! I still need to get an avatar, but plan to soon enough!

p.s. I uninstalled/updated the Renesas driver (shes pretty much up todate now!) and I also enabled quick boot in BIOS.
    Last edited by Zipperbag; 03-24-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Signature updated!
    Gaming Rig

NZXT Phantom
    NZXT Hale90 (850)
    Intel Core i7 (920)
    GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
    CORSAIR Vengeance (6 GB)
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti

CORSAIR Performance Pro (128 GB)
    WD Caviar Black (1TB Raid 0)

Windows 7 (SP1)

Ohh, I forgot Intel boards probably all have additional Marvell controllers too!

YOu should download the Marvell drivers you want from your boards web page, there is 3 and you only want two (Installing either / or).
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - G1.Guerrilla (rev. 1.0)

Pre-install package is self explanatory

Magni Console (0.96MB) is the smaller package, controller driver only (Nothing will show in device manager). Install this ONLY, if you plan to stick to the default Microsoft MSAHCI Drivers

Complete package (41.80MB) (Includes Magni driver, storage controller driver, disk drivers, web utility)

What AV are you using?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information